IGNORED

Nostalgia

Squee

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

edit: omg Confederation Trough = trough = downward/past-thinking and Rushup Edge = upward/future-thinking amirite

I owned both at the same time and had them it the same folder and I have no idea where the EP ends or the LP starts, all sounds freshly produced, all sounds amazing and new.

So I dun know what you're on about!

edit: omg Confederation Trough = trough = downward/past-thinking and Rushup Edge = upward/future-thinking amirite

I owned both at the same time and had them it the same folder and I have no idea where the EP ends or the LP starts, all sounds freshly produced, all sounds amazing and new.

So I dun know what you're on about!

I thought people were pretty divided on Rush Edge vs. Confederation Trough, like "I thought Confederation Trough was a joke/internet fake and then Rushup Edge came out", or the other way around. I think the stuff on Confederation Trough is at least more could've been extra Analords while Rushup Edge is Drukqs-y dramatic shit

i used to love this sonic the hedgehog cartoonsatam.jpgi thought sonic was badass. but now, i watched an episode i downloaded. it was so fucking bad.

AoStHtitle.jpg

Do you remember the other one that came out during the same day, on a different network in 1993? It was like a lighthearted affair with his love of chilli dogs as a highlight, while the other was about some dystopian planet bullshit. I liked both, but as a 7 year old it was a bit confusing to explain to my even younger brother about different plot universes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybg0l2Alawthis was a really compelling show. shit tv for kids today is inexcusable.

holy shit, I remember watching this on Nick in the UK. Good stuff!

strippper-duke-nukem.jpg
i was 7 when i first played this :blink:

That used to a massive talking point at lunch in late elementary school, seems so harmless now compared to what kids now get exposed to (literally) on games like GTA, and without having to clear as many levels. I'd like to say that we're better for it...hard working and more imaginative.

hey would you argue that Aphex Twin is just as nostalgia-based/ intentional/unintentional lo-fi artist even moreso than Boards of Canada? Would help if I heard all his stuff when it was brand-new, did it ever sound NEW or was it always like 'this is some stuff I found on a tape from 10 years ago lolol'. At least recent stuff I felt like Confederation Trough was sort of nostalgic/past-thinking and Rushup Edge was trying to one-up somebody or other/forward-thinking and I didn't like Rushup Edge as much. Maybe it's just the sound of my pirated mp3 copy I dunno (I think I got FLAC at one point just to be sure) but Confederation Trough tracks give me this feeling like they ALWAYS EXISTED. ok not like alpha and omega since beginning of time but also not a feeling like 'I've heard this before', just a feeling like it existed, could've been first or latest tracks RDJ has made, doesn't give me any indicators of however people perceive things as more modern than other things.

Well BoC has always been a bit misleading to me, because they evoke late 70s/early 80s whereas I grew up in the 90s, so it's like a false nostalgia mixed with memories I have of watching movies or playing with toys my parents had in the 70s...like a second hand nostalgia. But it's familiar and vague enough to appeal to me.

I've had the same feelings you have about Aphex, but it's more in regards to his older stuff. I hear Analogue Bubblebath, Caustic Window, and SAW 85-82 and get a timeless feel about them, without association to his peers of the era or any specific genre influences. It allows me to attach my own personal associations and guess at his. I'm not quite that way with the Tuss or Analord, maybe I will in 10-15 years.

i used to love this sonic the hedgehog cartoonsatam.jpgi thought sonic was badass. but now, i watched an episode i downloaded. it was so fucking bad.

AoStHtitle.jpg

Do you remember the other one that came out during the same day, on a different network in 1993? It was like a lighthearted affair with his love of chilli dogs as a highlight, while the other was about some dystopian planet bullshit. I liked both, but as a 7 year old it was a bit confusing to explain to my even younger brother about different plot universes.

yeah, it was horrible. blasphemy!

Anyone remember the show Reboot? One of the first fully computer animated Saturday morning kids cartoons?

If so, just keep on remembering it. The dialogue/voice acting is painful.

Bump in the Night is still good though. That show was weird.

Guest Gary C

Yeah, I remember Reboot. It was like a more cartoony, childish Tron or something. There was a female character called Dot Matrix.

And they were sponsored by Skips for a while.

Guest mafted

castlevania.. fucking love the first few renditions. there was something really imaginative about the whole Belmont vs Dracula thing. it got pretty lame when it turned in to anime cartoons with the later releases but the first few were epic.

had the greatest music , by far.

castlevania.. fucking love the first few renditions. there was something really imaginative about the whole Belmont vs Dracula thing. it got pretty lame when it turned in to anime cartoons with the later releases but the first few were epic.

had the greatest music , by far.

I think castlevania is good for the music but maybe the story was always bad I liked how the levels made no architectual sense whatsoever SPANISH CASTLES IN SPACE

• 8 years later...

Nostalgia post Web 2.0 has been quite the mindfuck - user content driven media has contributed greatly to rediscovering old shows, movies, video games, pictures of long gone places, etc. even mundane stuff like retro-futuristic fonts and typefaces, new age art, library music, etc. (which was the prime fodder for gernes like vaporwave, hypnagogic pop, and other hauntology electronic music)

The catch is it's become so easy to recreate and subsequently, edit, parse, and revise these raw sources of nostalgia into stylistic homages, memes, parodies, etc. It provides a distorted and idealized vision of the past for those who never lived it and a mentally jarring memory alternative to those who did. Simon Reynolds highlighted this in Retromania and it's been a debate far above my cursory intellectual knowledge within postmodernism debates.

Anyone else find themselves dealing with hyper-faux memories or a find increasingly fleeting memories of actual existing or being the way you were in the past - pre-social media, pre-internet. The days where you had to tape a song on the radio, catch a film or tv show showing or miss it for years, sear a visual memory of something you saw on a trip, walk, or drive without the use of a phone camera. Throughout human existence memory has always become something hazy, distorted, and selectively forgotten and highlighed but now even those routines are being drastically altered or eliminated altogether.

The one I've been actively restoring is the feeling of idle time before not just on demand streaming content but also internet and cable. Losing minutes, hours, even large parts of the day to imagination, internal thoughts, and hobbies and activities for a whole day. I used to pour over every detail of old magazines, catalogs, books. Now I find myself mindlessly scrolling curated content on instagram and often feel vapid and empty. I fight against it and I'm self-aware of it, so I don't feel like I lost anything significant yet. I have purposely tried to fight of my erasing of pure albeit imperfect visual memories in my brain of my past with precise and accurate but nonetheless imperfect and incomplete photos, google street views, or easily accessed written histories. It's like replacing a real car for a simulated drive, a vinyl copy of a record with some 128kps mp3s and 300x300 pixel scan of the cover. It's just not the same and it's not as genuine.

We're at a time were oral tradition and curated memories are dying out but the elevation to full blown simulated realities, AI, and interfacing conscious with digital computers is still way off.

Archived