Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Nostalgia
Memories vs. Reality

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 darreichungsform

darreichungsform

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • 96 topics
  • Joined 31-July 16
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/darreichungsform
  • Interests:giving advice

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

here are a bunch of 10 year old Ragnar tracks for nostalgia: https://www.buzztune...c/ragnar?page=5

#102 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,039 posts
  • 126 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

Nostalgia post Web 2.0 has been quite the mindfuck - user content driven media has contributed greatly to rediscovering old shows, movies, video games, pictures of long gone places, etc. even mundane stuff like retro-futuristic fonts and typefaces, new age art, library music, etc. (which was the prime fodder for gernes like vaporwave, hypnagogic pop, and other hauntology electronic music)

The catch is it's become so easy to recreate and subsequently, edit, parse, and revise these raw sources of nostalgia into stylistic homages, memes, parodies, etc. It provides a distorted and idealized vision of the past for those who never lived it and a mentally jarring memory alternative to those who did. Simon Reynolds highlighted this in Retromania and it's been a debate far above my cursory intellectual knowledge within postmodernism debates.

Anyone else find themselves dealing with hyper-faux memories or a find increasingly fleeting memories of actual existing or being the way you were in the past - pre-social media, pre-internet. The days where you had to tape a song on the radio, catch a film or tv show showing or miss it for years, sear a visual memory of something you saw on a trip, walk, or drive without the use of a phone camera. Throughout human existence memory has always become something hazy, distorted, and selectively forgotten and highlighed but now even those routines are being drastically altered or eliminated altogether.

The one I've been actively restoring is the feeling of idle time before not just on demand streaming content but also internet and cable. Losing minutes, hours, even large parts of the day to imagination, internal thoughts, and hobbies and activities for a whole day. I used to pour over every detail of old magazines, catalogs, books. Now I find myself mindlessly scrolling curated content on instagram and often feel vapid and empty. I fight against it and I'm self-aware of it, so I don't feel like I lost anything significant yet. I have purposely tried to fight of my erasing of pure albeit imperfect visual memories in my brain of my past with precise and accurate but nonetheless imperfect and incomplete photos, google street views, or easily accessed written histories. It's like replacing a real car for a simulated drive, a vinyl copy of a record with some 128kps mp3s and 300x300 pixel scan of the cover. It's just not the same and it's not as genuine.

We're at a time were oral tradition and curated memories are dying out but the elevation to full blown simulated realities, AI, and interfacing conscious with digital computers is still way off.

#103 hello spiral

hello spiral

Crib's Warship Rots

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,592 posts
  • 98 topics
  • Joined 20-July 08
  • Interests:Being smooth

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:09 PM

Anyone else find themselves dealing with hyper-faux memories

Love & light and have fun :)

#104 flexbert

flexbert

stretch regularly

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • 2 topics
  • Joined 16-November 17

Posted 15 April 2019 - 03:00 AM

vanilla/tbc wow aint ever gonna be as fun as it used to be and it saddens me

#105 MDM Chaos

MDM Chaos

Wealthy industrialist and philanthropist.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,296 posts
  • 136 topics
  • Joined 02-April 13
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/desolatepresents

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:31 AM

Nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be.

Spoiler

@joshuatx I still have vivid memories of dreams I had years ago, and yet none about my daily life from the same period. weird as fuck. I'll never forget my first (and only) proper lucid dream. It was like being in the Matrix.