IGNORED

Nostalgia

Squee

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the tmnt intro is a masterpiece of tv theme songs. right up there with the fresh prince of bel air theme.

also, this:

[youtubehd]3CMAK0N3U8k[/youtubehd]

oh man, i love that song! i used to watch that show :gamer:

digdemoshot10.png

digslidepicnew1.png

digslidebig1.png

Full_Throttle_-_large.gif

238402-full_throttle_pc_008_super.gif

Epic. And those games are just as good as they were back then. But I have to say that The Dig is a really slow paced game. Like REALLY slow paced. But the overall atmosphere is pretty damn impressive considering it was released in 1995 if I remember correctly. Full Throttle is fantastic and I will always hate LucasArts for not releasing the sequel - the same goes for the Sam and Max sequel. And no, I will not play TellTale Games' Sam and Max game because the voices are all wrong.

More epicness back from when LucasArts knew what they were doing:

sam_and_max_hit_the_road.jpg

1993%20-%20Sam%20and%20Max%20Hit%20the%20Road-620x.jpg

17807-monkey-island-madness-dos-screenshot-note-the-updated-interface.gif

curse-monkey-island-1.jpg

^Seriously, how crisp does that last screenshot from The Curse of Monkey Island look?

Guest futuregirlfriend

TWIN PEAKS FOR KIDS

I like it.

but yeah I was a Nickelodeon kid and by and large Nickelodeon's programming feels like the RESPONSE to most of this shit being posted (e.g. TMNT cartoon that isn't really that good/way to sell toys)

Agree. I don't really follow what's going on with kid's cartoons now, but I recently downloaded a few episodes of Adventure Time. Perhaps it's old news to most people. Apparently Nickelodeon passed on it a few times before CN bought it. It's seems like something created sincerely, like the the people behind it actually want to produce something with substance, and I can see it being something that sticks with kid's who are watching it now. Reminds me a little of Superjail, but kid-friendly. I'd even go so far as to recommend it with this post. There's enough stuff in there for an older audience to enjoy.

I'll start out with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Memories: I loved this show. The turtles were total badasses but were also really cool. They fought really sweet enemies, like Krang, who was a brain in the stomach of a huge robot. They had awesome weapons, they loved pizza, I loved pizza. It was perfect. Oh, and Shredder was bad ass! The movie was also really sweet, and Shredder got crushed in a garbage truck! Brutal! YEAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avHVOHsN3T0

Reality: Wow... I didn't even remember that high pitched chip munk voices were singing along during the chorus - man, this sounds horrible. And the lyrics:

Splinter taught them to be ninja teens (He's a radical rat!)

Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines (That's a fact, Jack!)

Raphael is cool but crude (Gimme a break!)

Michaelangelo is a party dude (Party!)

Man this is awful. Here's another clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sihg5m6xu18

So basically, these turtles were just four catchphrase machines who never really killed anyone. And what's with the animation? I thought today's standards were awful but this looks like crap. Beebob and Rocksteady's voices are actually kinda fun, but really, this show is just ridiculous.

EDIT: Damn, I didn't know it was Will Smith's uncle from Prince of Bel Air who did the voice for Shredder.

The reason you found TMNT so amazing back then was because you didn't have these ridiculous grown-up standards. Drugs generally make it muuch easier to appreciate nostalgia since they tend to make us a bit retarded again.

The reason you found TMNT so amazing back then was because you didn't have these ridiculous grown-up standards. Drugs generally make it muuch easier to appreciate nostalgia since they tend to make us a bit retarded again.

I still think it's a bit more nuanced like I think when I was 3 or 4 or whenever it was I could've sincerely believed the creator of TMNT invented the entire concept of BEACHES or all martial arts ever and obviously they would seem like a genius then when they could've researched it for 15 minutes on Wikipedia if Wikipedia existed back then. I also probably didn't understand AUTHORSHIP thought all TV shows were directly created by the president and/or God also all things are made in America or at least invented there

I still like a good amount of stuff that I liked as a kid, I think I had standards by age 10 or thereabouts. Or at least parts of it (the music or the art style or something) I'm also convinced there's some of that, if a game etc. has exceptional music you can overlook how frustratingly difficult it is or the fact that there is no story

I'm also convinced there's some of that, if a game etc. has exceptional music or some other component that is exceptionally good you can overlook how frustratingly difficult it is or the fact that there is no story and it is almost just a CONTAINER for this meaningful experience nice piece of music or an amazing moment in the middle of 20 hours of crap

Guest Calx Sherbet

joyrexcom.png

lol, this is the first time i've ever seen Joyrex.com. sounds geeky as hell

edit: i gotta admit though, i bet it was an exciting and cool day when drukqs came out

I still think it's a bit more nuanced like I think when I was 3 or 4 or whenever it was I could've sincerely believed the creator of TMNT invented the entire concept of BEACHES or all martial arts ever and obviously they would seem like a genius then when they could've researched it for 15 minutes on Wikipedia if Wikipedia existed back then. I also probably didn't understand AUTHORSHIP thought all TV shows were directly created by the president and/or God also all things are made in America or at least invented there

I still like a good amount of stuff that I liked as a kid, I think I had standards by age 10 or thereabouts. Or at least parts of it (the music or the art style or something) I'm also convinced there's some of that, if a game etc. has exceptional music you can overlook how frustratingly difficult it is or the fact that there is no story

I'm big on nostalgia so I could ramble on forever about this but I'm a lazy typist. I really agree with you, our understanding of how the world works changes as we grow.

This problem with enjoying things because we understand them too well is really the most fascinating thing to me in this context, because it's been a huge problem to me. I think the revelation I made was that in order to enjoy things we cannot apply certain modes of perception in that type of realm because they don't combine well, most importantly our modern western problem-solving attitude that we use to "function", work things out and distill impressions into basic truths so we more readily understand the world around us in order to be safe - knowledge is power.

I listened to an interview with a famous comedian, I think it was Louis CK, and he said a lot of comedians don't laugh at jokes. This really intrigued me, I think it's like they're infusing the concept of laughter with a lot of technique and understanding so that it becomes a game rather than haha fun. The fun is in being funny, not laughing at funny, and that involves the problem-solving attitude when listening to jokes. Perhaps they understand the funny but their mind is attuned to a frequency that doesn't inspire laughter when the joke is being told.

Pure enjoyment isn't really about problem-solving in that sense unless it's a game that involves problem-solving, it's more about connecting with and awakening emotions. It's a different language, but intellectual over-thinking can delude us into believing we must be the problem-solver at all times in order to be as safe as possible. There's a reason we refer to it as relaxing, letting go, letting loose when it comes to more purely passionate things like dancing or enjoying a "simple" film - we let go of our "safe" understanding and awaken more primal instincts of expression and connection. Reciprocating and connecting is what made language in the first place and it's truly an amazing thing.

I believe you can distill a combination of impressions into a certain feel or air that awakens your own associations, dreams and imagination - depending on what kind of person you are this may be invigorating or not - and we seek out different types of entertainment and enjoy the same entertainment in different ways, but this involves seeking out base elements of our being and opening ourselves up to them for the value of the experience.

But back to the problem-solving attitude - we adopt standards as a way to process our surroundings more quickly and our set of standards, our taste, becomes a language on its own wherein anything outside of it becomes pointless gibberish, like old TMNT episodes or shitty performance art. Saying someone doesn't get what you like when they're ridiculing it is like defending a language they don't speak.

I think this is why people vehemently argue for their obsessions, because it's the language they speak and language goes hand in hand with connecting to other people, they want other people to speak their language. This becomes really difficult when you argue using your set of standards against someone using an entirely different set of standards and neither of you are particularly empathic.

The reason I mentioned drugs is because they very effectively diffuse these standards as they, in a sense, corrupt our internal language so that unusual things become more enjoyable and fascinating. I don't believe that effect is exclusive to drugs, it really just takes some self-knowledge and open-mindedness.

I'm big on nostalgia so I could ramble on forever about this but I'm a lazy typist. I really agree with you, our understanding of how the world works changes as we grow.

This problem with enjoying things because we understand them too well is really the most fascinating thing to me in this context, because it's been a huge problem to me. I think the revelation I made was that in order to enjoy things we cannot apply certain modes of perception in that type of realm because they don't combine well, most importantly our modern western problem-solving attitude that we use to "function", work things out and distill impressions into basic truths so we more readily understand the world around us in order to be safe - knowledge is power.

I listened to an interview with a famous comedian, I think it was Louis CK, and he said a lot of comedians don't laugh at jokes. This really intrigued me, I think it's like they're infusing the concept of laughter with a lot of technique and understanding so that it becomes a game rather than haha fun. The fun is in being funny, not laughing at funny, and that involves the problem-solving attitude when listening to jokes. Perhaps they understand the funny but their mind is attuned to a frequency that doesn't inspire laughter when the joke is being told.

Pure enjoyment isn't really about problem-solving in that sense unless it's a game that involves problem-solving, it's more about connecting with and awakening emotions. It's a different language, but intellectual over-thinking can delude us into believing we must be the problem-solver at all times in order to be as safe as possible. There's a reason we refer to it as relaxing, letting go, letting loose when it comes to more purely passionate things like dancing or enjoying a "simple" film - we let go of our "safe" understanding and awaken more primal instincts of expression and connection. Reciprocating and connecting is what made language in the first place and it's truly an amazing thing.

I believe you can distill a combination of impressions into a certain feel or air that awakens your own associations, dreams and imagination - depending on what kind of person you are this may be invigorating or not - and we seek out different types of entertainment and enjoy the same entertainment in different ways, but this involves seeking out base elements of our being and opening ourselves up to them for the value of the experience.

But back to the problem-solving attitude - we adopt standards as a way to process our surroundings more quickly and our set of standards, our taste, becomes a language on its own wherein anything outside of it becomes pointless gibberish, like old TMNT episodes or shitty performance art. Saying someone doesn't get what you like when they're ridiculing it is like defending a language they don't speak.

I think this is why people vehemently argue for their obsessions, because it's the language they speak and language goes hand in hand with connecting to other people, they want other people to speak their language. This becomes really difficult when you argue using your set of standards against someone using an entirely different set of standards and neither of you are particularly empathic.

The reason I mentioned drugs is because they very effectively diffuse these standards as they, in a sense, corrupt our internal language so that unusual things become more enjoyable and fascinating. I don't believe that effect is exclusive to drugs, it really just takes some self-knowledge and open-mindedness.

not disagreeing but I would narrow it down to something like AUTHORITY or filial piety old cartoons existed longer than new ones so they're more an authority on what is good (religion is just nostalgia for old story about Jesus from a kid)

uh also is there an argument not like 'brain think more now so things suck more too' and one more direct/visceral like you had NEWER EYES back then, also extra 2000-1000 hz of hearing somehow makes it that much better/dynamic. I guess there would be a control group for this though people who get laser eye surgery in their 40s or something. I also have a semi-conspiracy theory that we just have so much freaking stuff now like 2 ipods in every room of everybody's house, everybody has a cellphone even old ladies and cats and stuff, not being a cell phones cause cancer person but I could imagine an RFI/loss of dynamics thing going on. Would help if you guys would mention some nostalgic things that aren't ELECTRONICALLY REPRODUCED like old albums/movies/TV shows. I mean stuff you watch on a screen/hear through speakers. Like any books that have nostalgic value to you guys/think you'd read today and be better/worse

hey would you argue that Aphex Twin is just as nostalgia-based/ intentional/unintentional lo-fi artist even moreso than Boards of Canada? Would help if I heard all his stuff when it was brand-new, did it ever sound NEW or was it always like 'this is some stuff I found on a tape from 10 years ago lolol'. At least recent stuff I felt like Confederation Trough was sort of nostalgic/past-thinking and Rushup Edge was trying to one-up somebody or other/forward-thinking and I didn't like Rushup Edge as much. Maybe it's just the sound of my pirated mp3 copy I dunno (I think I got FLAC at one point just to be sure) but Confederation Trough tracks give me this feeling like they ALWAYS EXISTED. ok not like alpha and omega since beginning of time but also not a feeling like 'I've heard this before', just a feeling like it existed, could've been first or latest tracks RDJ has made, doesn't give me any indicators of however people perceive things as more modern than other things. Like esp. Fredulogon or GX1 Solo, I feel like I could be perceiving them as better tracks than they are because they are placing some weird marker inside my brain, not because they're good as music music. Rushup Edge doesn't feel this way to me I think the atmospherics are cheap and just some tech demo for some rad new editing technique. Ok maybe not that bad but I can like hear RDJ between the margins of the music just as a dude/actual person, instead of being this work of music free of authorship or like literally composed by RDJ distorted grinface

but even more than nostalgia itself I'm interested in making things that feel authorless/no markers of time/oldness/newness

edit: omg Confederation Trough = trough = downward/past-thinking and Rushup Edge = upward/future-thinking amirite

Archived