IGNORED

"Chillwave"

joshuatxuk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me you listen to R. Stevie Moore, because Ariel Pink is just a shoddy Moore wanna be.

lol really?

Please don't call it anything, it's not a real movement or a wave. It has nothing to do with any previous wave, which previously they all a similar tempo and rhythmic feel that this movement doesn't have IMO. On the term Glo-fi that is even SHITTIER. First of all the 21st centuries obsession with portmanteau is fucking obnoxious as hell. Second it's an even less accurate title. If you listen to releases like that of Tori Y Moi (some I consider one of the best figures of the genre) his latest is really well produced, great use of compression and lots of other higher-end studio techniques. It's no 4-track shit. Like I've said "chill wave" and "glo-fi" are hastily made tags by various selfish hipsters who want to seem like they know what's going on before any one else, when really it's potentially crippling progressive ideas. (last thing we need is hundreds of reiterations of the same thing like all other official genres) And like I've said the third title "Hypnagogic pop" was originally created for a group on the total other end of the spectrum. Musicians like Sam Goldberg, James Feraro, That guy who did Matrix Metals Sam something. Which is all basically the drone scene with a slight HINT of melody and rhythm. Then came out of that Ducktales and shit which is just really half-assed pop but not in the same vain as something like no-wave. It's more pretentious and selfish. It is interesting mentioning New Wave/Krautrock (not the fact that the two are tied, because that's the most obvious shit on the planet. Look at Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze etc. and the labels they're on, and it paints the most obvious gradient in the world) because that's making a huge comeback in the scene. People like Onheotix point never and Stellar Om Source, Emeralds, etc. All these guys are just going back to ambient music roots (copying) because that's what every one is basically into and a ton of hipsters haven't found the old stuff yet. So they're basically re-hashing the origins of a lot of synth drone and re-selling it to a new generation. Apparently Onheotix Point Never is actually starting a new label that a lot of people are excited for. It'll probably just be a 21st century Sky Records or something. Will be interesting I suppose.

I wouldn't lump Emeralds in there, if anything. Their latest album is to be released by Editions Mego...

Please don't call it anything, it's not a real movement or a wave. It has nothing to do with any previous wave, which previously they all a similar tempo and rhythmic feel that this movement doesn't have IMO. On the term Glo-fi that is even SHITTIER. First of all the 21st centuries obsession with portmanteau is fucking obnoxious as hell. Second it's an even less accurate title. If you listen to releases like that of Tori Y Moi (some I consider one of the best figures of the genre) his latest is really well produced, great use of compression and lots of other higher-end studio techniques. It's no 4-track shit. Like I've said "chill wave" and "glo-fi" are hastily made tags by various selfish hipsters who want to seem like they know what's going on before any one else, when really it's potentially crippling progressive ideas. (last thing we need is hundreds of reiterations of the same thing like all other official genres) And like I've said the third title "Hypnagogic pop" was originally created for a group on the total other end of the spectrum. Musicians like Sam Goldberg, James Feraro, That guy who did Matrix Metals Sam something. Which is all basically the drone scene with a slight HINT of melody and rhythm. Then came out of that Ducktales and shit which is just really half-assed pop but not in the same vain as something like no-wave. It's more pretentious and selfish. It is interesting mentioning New Wave/Krautrock (not the fact that the two are tied, because that's the most obvious shit on the planet. Look at Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze etc. and the labels they're on, and it paints the most obvious gradient in the world) because that's making a huge comeback in the scene. People like Onheotix point never and Stellar Om Source, Emeralds, etc. All these guys are just going back to ambient music roots (copying) because that's what every one is basically into and a ton of hipsters haven't found the old stuff yet. So they're basically re-hashing the origins of a lot of synth drone and re-selling it to a new generation. Apparently Onheotix Point Never is actually starting a new label that a lot of people are excited for. It'll probably just be a 21st century Sky Records or something. Will be interesting I suppose.

what's really funny is you're complaining about this scene more than anyone

yet you seem to know more about it than anyone

i know people like you IRL, they complain that i'm listening to acid house as opposed to belgian new beat.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I really like washed out, going to a show on the 10th in fucking williamsburg :fail:

All of his shows sold out quick ass shit here in Philly ( one sold out 2 months in advance ) Sadly...I didn't buy any tickets .

Jesus Christ .

Guest Glass Plate

what's really funny is you're complaining about this scene more than anyone

yet you seem to know more about it than anyone

i know people like you IRL, they complain that i'm listening to acid house as opposed to belgian new beat.

That's retarded, you sound stupid.

Also, I enjoy I lot of the music called "chill wave" I'm just complaining about a lot of media wrapped around that music, how the fuck you got this idea of some perverted nonsensical pretension I have no clue, other than the fact you're a fucking idiot who almost makes me embarrassed of my Scottish heritage. (i'm being harsh hear to troll, sorry)

Also, I enjoy I lot of the music called "chill wave" I'm just complaining about a lot of media wrapped around that music, how the fuck you got this idea of some perverted nonsensical pretension I have no clue, other than the fact you're a fucking idiot who almost makes me embarrassed of my Scottish heritage. (i'm being harsh hear to troll, sorry)

weak.

i don't think you get me. if get the impression that if i was listening to acid house you'd tell me to listen to belgian new beat because it's 'more authentic'. if i was listening to belgian new beat you'd probably tell me to listen to the white noise or silver apples... and if i was to listen to them you would probably tell me to listen to joe meek or raymond scott or something. i could probably listen to gregorian chant, and you would tell me to listen to earlier, more monophonic evensong instead, in the name of authenticity and 'realness'. you get me?

weak.

i don't think you get me. if get the impression that if i was listening to acid house you'd tell me to listen to belgian new beat because it's 'more authentic'. if i was listening to belgian new beat you'd probably tell me to listen to the white noise or silver apples... and if i was to listen to them you would probably tell me to listen to joe meek or raymond scott or something. i could probably listen to gregorian chant, and you would tell me to listen to earlier, more monophonic evensong instead, in the name of authenticity and 'realness'. you get me?

lol, not to be a dick but I get the exact same impression. And Ariel Pink isn't just an R Stevie Moore knockoff, come on.

Guest Glass Plate

Well it's mostly Ariel Pink's production technique is literally modeled after a lot of R. Stevie Moore's.

Also, again kaini, stick to your CGI art and not trying to assume anything about what i think about music and trying to fit me into some sort of cliche snob category that I do not align with, it's fucking stupid.

Also, I would think you all would know 99% of every thing I say on the internet is blatant trolling.

Also, again kaini, stick to your CGI art and not trying to assume anything about what i think about music and trying to fit me into some sort of cliche snob category that I do not align with, it's fucking stupid.

i'm just saying you should listen to music on its own merits and not require some sort of framework of past things/culture that you need to fit it into. sure, having that can be a bonus, but any music should be listened to for what it is, not as a sum of its influences.

Edited by kaini

Guest Glass Plate

I really don't want to get in an argument over the importance on context, so lets just stick with you can ignore context and be a total fucking idiot, and I'm going to stick to looking for context as much as possible.

I really don't want to get in an argument over the importance on context, so lets just stick with you can ignore context and be a total fucking idiot, and I'm going to stick to looking for context as much as possible.

my condolences. i shall continue to be a total fucking idiot.

[/drama]

Glass Plate, I think you have amazing taste in music and I really respect your wealth of knowledge and info that you bring around here. You seem like a cool dude, but man... do you have to be such a fucking dick all the time? :trashbear: I know I'm probably the victim of your "trolling" right now, but what really is trolling but just being a dick on the internet? People are so rude on this site! The reason I come to a site like this is to have discussions with like minded people. Can't we all just get along!?!?!! I'd like you a lot more if you weren't constantly trying to one up yourself by calling everyone an idiot.

Juss sayin'

Guest Glass Plate

Glass Plate, I think you have amazing taste in music and I really respect your wealth of knowledge and info that you bring around here. You seem like a cool dude, but man... do you have to be such a fucking dick all the time? :trashbear: I know I'm probably the victim of your "trolling" right now, but what really is trolling but just being a dick on the internet? People are so rude on this site! The reason I come to a site like this is to have discussions with like minded people. Can't we all just get along!?!?!! I'd like you a lot more if you weren't constantly trying to one up yourself by calling everyone an idiot.

Juss sayin'

:whistling: