IGNORED

J Dilla

halisray

Guest Greg Reason

Guys, don't sleep on his shit with Common. Like Water for Chocolate is fuckin unbelievable.

Guest Glass Plate

What's a better hip-hop producer that is worthy of lots of praise?

edit: besides timbaland?

Edited by Glass Plate

Guest tht tne

What's a better hip-hop producer that is worthy of lots of praise?

edit: besides timbaland?

don't try to argue with adults, little boy

i'm extremely unfamiliar with modern hip-hop music and the only Dilla album i've really sat down and listened to is Donuts. I love the album, i can see why people are enamored by him

Edited by Awepittance

I'm not going to get into that because you'll just think I'm wrong. I just think that things would be different if he was still alive.

Why do you worship autechre? Because they are good and ingenuitive. Why do i worship J Dilla? Because he's fucking dank. Simply.

Edited by tontonz

Guest Glass Plate

Because he was very distinct in the field he worked in, and that's not very common. He also just had a dedication to his work that you don't often see.

Because he was very distinct in the field he worked in

this 100%. people to this day are still biting the way he chopped samples, his snare timing, loads of stuff. It's not fair to say that music nowadays is better (which for the most part in the genre, it isn't), because he's been gone for 5 years now.

to some people, it may seem like there may be a bit too much love for him (esp. because he purposefully took himself out of the spotlight for a bit and there wasn't much fanfare around him), but I think it's well-deserved. He made incredible, timeless music, pretty much started his own sound, and touched quite a few people in his lifetime and after. If that's not good enough, then I don't know what is.

edit: I'm a huge fan of him, so I may be biased. Also, it's late so my explanation may be rubbish lolzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by bubbhasdance

Guest Greg Reason

i'm extremely unfamiliar with modern hip-hop music and the only Dilla album i've really sat down and listened to is Donuts. I love the album, i can see why people are enamored by him

Check out Ruff Draft for his dirtiest, raw shit with hard psych leanings. I reckon this is the stuff ae were listening to when they were raving bout him.

Then check Common's Like Water for Chocolate for smooth, polished shit with soul.

Guest Coalbucket PI

J Dilla is okay but not that interesting in my opinion. he is hugely overrated probably thanks to dying, and also as seen in this thread because people who like flying lotus like to one up each other by being smug about his predecessors

Guest Greg Reason

J Dilla is okay but not that interesting in my opinion. he is hugely overrated probably thanks to dying, and also as seen in this thread because people who like flying lotus like to one up each other by being smug about his predecessors

There is undoubtedly a large amount of people who heard about him after he died and wanted to seem as if they loved him from the start. That's true.

However I do think his popularity is justified. But it's one of those things where what he does appeals for certain reasons and if you're not looking for what he does then it's going to seem overrated to you. What he does isn't complex enough for people to see it as "brilliant" if they don't like it so it's easy to write him off. But I do personally think that his shit has a certain charm and ingenuity to it that's very appealing.

Dilla's style rests on having (for the majority of his work) a definite psychedelic aspect, something that sweet fuck-all Hip-Hop producers are interested in doing. His arrangements are quite immaculate a lot of the time and he could be smooth when he wanted to but he did raw really brilliantly.

Also (and I'm not saying you're doing this, but I lot of people certainly do) I must say you can't judge him on the basis of Donuts. I like the record but it's not indicative of the finesse and subtlety he was capable of. He literally made it as he was dying in a hospital bed and I think he was going for something else. But you can listen to D'Angelo's Voodoo and hear how crisp and tight his tracks could be, all underpinned with a subtle psychedelic vibe.

Guest blicero

nothing like another thread featuring IDM fans trying to "get" dilla.

if you aren't into hip hop, i don't expect you to understand why dilla is significant.

i personally don't understand BoC worship.

if you aren't into hip hop, i don't expect you to understand why dilla is significant.

Yes mate I don't understand hip-hop at all. Thats why I have all the Streetsounds Electros on vinyl from when I started collecting at 13 years old and still have the vinyl copy of Public Enemy Yo Bum Rush the Show which I bought when I was 14...............

I lost interest in hip-hop/rap just after NWA but I think I know one or two things about hip-hop LoL. It is true that a lot of modern hip-hop I fail to really like. I don't know why.

Jedi Mind Tricks Violent by Design and Cannibal Ox Cold Vein are the few examples that have blown me away.

Edited by beerwolf

Jedi Mind Tricks Violent by Design and Cannibal Ox Cold Vein are the few examples that have blown me away.

lol woo underground hip hop, taking it back to the streets

Edited by KY

Guest blicero

Yes mate I don't understand hip-hop at all. Thats why I have all the Streetsounds Electros on vinyl from when I started collecting at 13 years old and still have the vinyl copy of Public Enemy Yo Bum Rush the Show which I bought when I was 14...............

I lost interest in hip-hop/rap just after NWA but I think I know one or two things about hip-hop LoL. It is true that a lot of modern hip-hop I fail to really like. I don't know why.

I never said you didn't understand hip hop, only that you aren't "into" hip hop, which you just confirmed.

here... get some live The Roots performance of some of JDillas tracks: http://thinkcommon.com/blog/2010/04/04/the-roots-dilla-jawns/#more-3891

Tracklisting

01. Donuts Outro

02. Hot Shit (I’m Back!)

03. World Full Of Sadness

04. Upper Egypt

05. Stereolab

06. The Stars

07. Antiquity (feat. The Miguel Atwood-Ferguson Dillchestra)

08. She Said

09. Hall & Oates

10. Eve

11. Look Into Her Eyes

12. Make Em NV

13. Oh! O!

14. Wicked Ways

Edited by Muflontillah

lol woo underground hip hop, taking it back to the streets

More like a hobbit taking it back to the Shires. Green fields, log fires and flaggons of dark ale nowadays.