IGNORED

Surfing On Sine Waves/Quoth

bubbhasdance

Guest Rabid

this album has never truly clicked for me. i always go to saw 85-92 or i care because you do. today i am going to give it my most earnest listen, and see where that gets me.

It clicked for me once. But then it unclicked, and I never really enjoy it anymore. I guess I like it, just not as much as other twin albums. Oh I did write a review for this week but i wasn't going to post it, but I might as well since I'm making this post. Read it bottom up. Remember it wasn't meant to be read so its just my stupid opinions.

Overall: 7/10, yeah I never really liked this album much. I have to be in the mood for it, and it just pales in comparison to SAWI or any later aphex album. It's repetitive, but I can't fault it just for that because so is ICBYD and that's one of my favorite albums ever. Some tracks definitely stand out, like Redruth School and Is it Really Me.

Redruth School - This trak makes me think of Richard being a total gangster at school. I like it a lot.

Quino Phec - A good ambient trak

Portreath Harbor - Ahaha awesome! This is aphex in a return to form. The composition is excellent and I wish the production were better. But the trak itself really is great. The mood is reminiscent of D-Scape, except this trak actually was able to captivate me - and in the very first few seconds.

Quixote - This is a cool trak, not as good as I remembered though.

Untitled - Because of that beginning drone I thought I was listening to SAW II for a second. If I were to give this a title (and I think I will) I would title it RDJ Plays Whack-a-Mole. \the drum sound at 1:19 sounds like the slap sfx in cartoons.

UT1 Dot - I don't really like this one.

Supremacy II - Ah, the trak I mistakenly called "White Supremacy" once, I was such a noob. A lot of cool parts in this trak, too many to list, but what makes this track distinctive imo is the bell melody.

If It Really Is Me - Definitely my favorite from the album, but I have to be in the modd to listen to it. I really love the funky part that starts around 2:42. Some parts of the trak still sound amateurish but I guess it's part of this album's charm.

Quoth - This trak invented the techno sound. nuff said

Audax Powder - Audal Powder. I like the suddern turn at :58. The rest is rather dull i think

Polygon Window - A good first track. It features a lot of early-Aphex techniques, structure and style wise. Dramatic and cool, but not one of my favorites.

pretty much every track on SoSW is a good idea but about 4 minutes too long

Iketa is awesome too I totally forgot about it

and everyone seems to just like Quino-Phec anyway I mean it's good but it seems like a SAWII leftover to me

also Portreath Harbour makes the rest of the album sound kind of shit

Edited by Ragnar

Guest ruiagnelo

I am too lazy to review it track to track, but i can say it's one my favorite works from Richard.

SOSW It's like a distant cousin of SAWI, but has its own identity. I like how he used all the effects and reverbs so that they give these tracks singular atmospheres and incredible moments while listening.

Never gave that much attention to the Quoth EP, but it is good too, being the homonymous track the highlight for me.

Also, does anyone know details about the process and facts about the production of this album? I just know that Richard was in Cornwall at that time...

Guest ataraxy2

Surfing On Sine Waves

What a beautiful record, with music often in the style and using similar sounds as found on SAW85-92. But ataraxy, it's SAW85-92's lesser being, why listen to this when you can listen to SAW85-92? Because... it's like the "other-side" of SAW85-92. Time for my bag of adjectives-

Polygon Window is perfect. Nice, mysterious melodies play over soft rippling beats. Love the claps in the background.

Audax Powder. 4:18 is incredible, I actually wish it had continued from this point onward to change like many Autechre songs (Rae) do, by adding in another melody line like a pad and keeping the newer rhythm. Unfortunetely it doesn't and it's end is unwelcome. :(

Quoth is quality techno.

If It Really Is Me is not what I would have expected. But it's really nice and soothing. It just *works*.

Supremacy II. Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti. XD Like it but it seems like nothing happenes. Guess that's the point, but the melody doesn't do it for me.

UT1 - dot features that awesome acid-synth sound. I usually love that sound in general, but I love how in this song it kind of fluctuates. Hypnotising.

Untitled... nah. Don't like this one.

It took four minutes but when Quixote clicked I was like "damn..." The type of track that when you get into it you don't really want it to end.

Portreath Harbour. =D

Redruth School reminded me of Cfern at first, but it really is something quite different. Need to be in the right mood for this one.

Quino - Phec is... I don't know. <3

So, is this actually all supposed to be inferior stuff he didn't put on SAW85-92 but considered to? Some of this is incredibly amazing: it's only Supremacy II and Untitled that feel like last minute throw-ins.

Quoth [EP]

Iketa would be cooler if it were called Ikea, but it's still pretty cool. Best track on this EP.

Quoth (Wooden Thump Mix) rules.

Bike Pump Meets Bucket confirms this as a solid release even though it's not quite as good as the others.

That picture of Richard running down the stairs is the best thing ever.

it's a strangely compelling image.

quoth.jpg

to me it has always looked like the ceiling is the floor.

wow, i really have a lot to say about this album, but i can hardly get it all out in words. a lot of this album sounds so adrenaline charged and adventurous, like it was meant to be played on a long journey

when I was in high school (about 14 years ago) this was always on in my minivan. It makes me think of intentionally trying to drive off into nowhere until I got lost.

Definitely my favorite AFX LP.

and for the record...

bike pump is the shit.

I think I once made a thread about this album, saying it is better than saw82-93 or whatever and I think my opinion still stands. This in and of itself is really good. Not sure what that means, but just start off with the title track.

Polygone window: Oh shit, still one of the most awesome tracks, kind of like how xtal is on the beginning of SAW. Fucking perfectly mixed ambient techno, no doubt.

Audax Powder is so awesome. Its fucking a blast to listen to with the volume turned up. Its beautiful pad melodies with a section of totally detuned rave stabs in a pseudo counter melody. delay. it ends amazingly.

Qouth. hmmm, amazing just perectly wet with reverb and highpass filters and some nice compression. But still the same time kind of dark and dry. Its all about the kick drum, its all about the effect that percussion has on a track. There is a melody all in the percussion. Also listen to this one loud. Its a little out of place, ONLY problem with the track.

If it really is me: I remember the first time I heard this track. By this time it was settling in that this was indeed an amazing album. Fucking piano stabs in the perfect 90s tv drama mystery soundtrack. With a techno beat, it gets awesome when you have the claps come in.

I'm kind of stoned so Im going to stop the review right now and get on the other track my mind was onto.

I really love Supremacy II its a very underrated track, one of Richards finest full on techno bangers. Kind of reminds me of On The Romance Tip, but much heavier.

Time for my review for Surfing On Sine Waves. This is something I haven't listened to as often as a lot of Richard's other work, so I listened to it all the way through on two occasions this week.

Polygon Window - As per usual, the album starts with a really, really good track. We charge straight into a sublime, powerful melody, and it only gets better from there. It creates a feeling of adventure and mystery, but at the same time, it's a lot of fun to listen to.

Audax Powder - I love this track! Amazing atmosphere, like looking down on a huge, breathtaking landscape. It's just fantastic when those melodies come in, I can feel my soul dancing with the bouncy, energetic rhythm it creates.

Quoth - This track is built around a thundering, continuous rhythm. Melodies give way to rhythmic movement and layers upon layers of violent percussion sounds, a real change from the rest of the album. Overall I'd say it's OK, but not great. I prefer the Wooded Thump mix, personally.

If It Really Is Me - I don't really know what to say about this track. It's quite long, and there are some soulful piano riffs in it. I suppose it's there to relax you before the spookiness yet to come.

Supremacy II - This feels a lot like Caustic Window territory. Italic Eyeball meets Astroblaster. It can get almost claustrophobically fast and heavy, with an array of spooky synths to set the mood. Plenty of different rhythms to get sucked into.

UT1-dot - It begins with a very eerie atmosphere, a strangely ambient background of clashing beats is the setting to a layer of acid. The kind of spooky atmosphere Richard generates with these melodies is his element, especially in his earlier years. As it continues, you are enveloped in this atmosphere. It becomes a part of you.

(0, 7) - Holy fuck, for a fully artificial sound, this is horrifying. How does he make such a sound? This is a genuinely disturbing track. The atmosphere is notched up to the ranks of High Octane Nightmare Fuel, breathing an essence of claustrophobia while the synths from hell repeat themselves, almost like the singing of some terrible beast.

Quixote - And now for a lighter track. This is more in the line of ambient techno, with plenty of beats and rhythms, and an ice cold melody throughout. But this is actually quite a fun track, it's like the melody is scary, but fun scary. Like a nice adventure.

TRIVIA: "Quixote" is pronounced "kee-oe-tee".

Portreath Harbour - This lovely little track with plenty of wonderful melodies, creating a feeling of airiness and tranquility. It's nice and laid back, and all the little tunes seem to get better and better as the track progresses. Just beautiful.

Redruth School - Well well well, what do we have here? This track has a feeling of mischief and naughtiness, which Richard somehow manages to express through xylophone melodies and static beats. I love the moment at 1:35.

Ouino-phec - The cover art for SOSW could not be a more perfect image for this track. You can sit on the rocks and feel the salty air in your lungs as you watch the tide roll back and forth across the sea. This is one of the most relaxing tracks Richard has ever released, and I love every second of it. Everything is perfect, the ambient background, the soft hammer noises drifting in the breeze, the melodies that come in later on. 10/10.

So, overall, I'd give this album 4 thumbs up out of 5.

icon-thumbs-up3.gificon-thumbs-up3.gificon-thumbs-up3.gificon-thumbs-up3.gif

Plenty of tough choices in my SOSW best to worst, but it goes approximately like this:

Quino - phec

(0, 7)

Polygon Window

Audax Powder

Portreath Harbour

UT1 - dot

Quixote

Redruth School

Supremacy II

If It Really Is Me

Quoth

That's pretty much it. I'll be back soon for a breakdown of the Quoth EP. Seeya then!

You think Quino - phec is relaxing? For me it's like the creepiest most unsettling thing... brilliant though.

How can you not find Quino -phec relaxing? Aren't you getting confused with another track?

You think Quino - phec is relaxing? For me it's like the creepiest most unsettling thing... brilliant though.

How can you not find Quino -phec relaxing? Aren't you getting confused with another track?

Nope. Yeah I see it's pretty calm, but with the melody, and the creepy distant music coming through... it has that "you're all gonna die and it's O.K." feeling about it :happy: don't get me wrong, I love the track, I also can drift away with it, but relaxing just sounds so ... positive? I don't know. But it's probably my favourite from the album and under Polygon. Plus Bike Pump, I just heard that one again, man how can you not love this, with headphones and proper quality... It's like all the good spirit of the early 90's combined

Nope. Yeah I see it's pretty calm, but with the melody, and the creepy distant music coming through... it has that "you're all gonna die and it's O.K." feeling about it :happy: don't get me wrong, I love the track, I also can drift away with it, but relaxing just sounds so ... positive? I don't know. But it's probably my favourite from the album and under Polygon. Plus Bike Pump, I just heard that one again, man how can you not love this, with headphones and proper quality... It's like all the good spirit of the early 90's combined

That's probably the most relaxing thing anyone could say to you.

Guest cyphersum

Quino-Phec = SAWII preview

Untitled = acid line saying 'I Love You'

Bike Pump Meets Bucket and Clayhill Dub are kissing cousins.

favorite Quoth is the Hidden Mix.

Sand Lowe remix is siq... a pitched down vari-speed slow roller.

Polygon Window was my second Aphex release that i purchased in 1993. For me, it's still the hauntingly exceptional release it has always been. My favorite thing in the Polygon Window releases are the REVERBs.

Whoa I nearly forgot to do my review for the Quoth EP.

Quoth - This track is built around a thundering, continuous rhythm. Melodies give way to rhythmic movement and layers upon layers of violent percussion sounds. Overall I'd say it's OK, but not great. I prefer the Wooded Thump mix, personally.

Iketa - This is one groovy track! Powerful sounds for a powerful atmosphere, and such catchy melodies. Really gets me into a rhythm.

Quoth (Wooded Thump Mix) - I really love this remix. A somehow even more chaotic version of Quoth, it's crammed full of awesome sounds, with layers of dominating rhythms that never fail to get me going. Every loop sounds amazing, it's like I'm being attacked by the music, and I'm loving every second of it.

Bike Pump Meets Bucket - This is an interesting combination of hard and soft. The percussion smoothly rattles on with the occasional bang of what is supposedly a bike pump hitting a bucket. When the melodies get going, it creates an unique feeling, it's something I haven't really heard anywhere else.

Quoth (Hidden Mix) - Ah, the hidden mix. This is where it gets hardcore, in fact it should really be called "Quoth (Hardcore Mix)". Perhaps it is, the title wasn't given on the release. It feels quite dry, with clonks and rattles that are even more loud and abrasive than the other mixes. A great end to the EP.

You may notice that, during Quoth (Hidden Mix), at about three minutes in, there is a slight dip in sound which lasts just long enough to be annoying. This dip is even present when the track appears in a live set at Leeds, 1992. I assume it's part of the master copy of this track. I have created a version of this track that does not have this dip. I made it by painstakingly pasting an identical loop over it, with pinpoint accuracy (this is the kind of re-mastering Warp Records should have done years ago).

PM me for this version of Quoth (Hidden Mix), though I should tell you, it's in 128kbps, as that was all I had to work with at the time. If someone could send the original to me in a higher bitrate, I'd be happy to make it again.

Guest cyphersum

You may notice that, during Quoth (Hidden Mix), at about three minutes in, there is a slight dip in sound which lasts just long enough to be annoying. This dip is even present when the track appears in a live set at Leeds, 1992. I assume it's part of the master copy of this track. I have created a version of this track that does not have this dip. I made it by painstakingly pasting an identical loop over it, with pinpoint accuracy (this is the kind of re-mastering Warp Records should have done years ago).

Hath committed IDM sacrilege!!! :diablo:

j/k dood.

that slight dip is to remind us that greatness even has imperfections! :aphexsign:

• 3 years later...