IGNORED

Surfing On Sine Waves/Quoth

bubbhasdance

I do remember posting....just about lol. Though any music sounds great on good quality strong cider!

yup sir! haha i was just going through some of my old itunes playlists last night.. and i noticed i made one titled "Friday Night Honey Nut Brown"(a particular brew)... I remember that night clearly.. I was waiting for my (at the time) date to arrive, and I had bought a 6 pack of honey browns, cracked one open, started drinking, and created a "Friday Night Honey Nut Brown" playlist, which included:

Notorious B.I.G.- Ready To Die

&

The Black Dog- Further Vexations

and that's it lol

Wow, i must have been in a very particular mood that night. Anyway, I remember turning up Biggie real loud and going out onto my balcony with a honey nut brewski and sipping away, getting ready for the night to start.

Edited by Lane Visitor

I do remember posting....just about lol. Though any music sounds great on good quality strong cider!

yup sir! haha i was just going through some of my old itunes playlists last night.. and i noticed i made one titled "Friday Night Honey Nut Brown"(a particular brew)... I remember that night clearly.. I was waiting for my (at the time) date to arrive, and I had bought a 6 pack of honey browns, cracked one open, started drinking, and created a "Friday Night Honey Nut Brown" playlist, which included:

Notorious B.I.G.- Ready To Die

&

The Black Dog- Further Vexations

and that's it lol

Wow, i must have been in a very particular mood that night. Anyway, I remember turning up Biggie real loud and going out onto my balcony with a honey nut brewski and sipping away, getting ready for the night to start.

Great post, made me lol

I've given sosw a good few listens but it never really took hold like the Aphex/AFX/Tuss LP's did.

Although I've enjoyed hearing other perspectives, maybe it's time for me re-visit.

Thankyou wattm.

i love this album. i probably like it better than saw (either one),

and, i cant really compare directly between the 3 but it's tied for my favorite thing of his with RDJ, and druqks, with saw 1 very close behind those. i guess it depends what mood i'm in.

but i love the dark vibe of this album.

i'd prob have to say that the vibe of it is my favorite of all his albums. it's like home for me. this album is where i live.

especially portreath harbor (even if it is a bonus track). that eery alien desolate, slightly ominous, possibly prehistoric, almost tribal sound...

i can imagine a bunch of cave men and cave ladies doing strange dances around fires to that, surrounded by rocky crags and desert wastes, under chill as fuck moonlit skies. idm cave-people (look im trying to be PC) possibly on the influence of some funky tree bark or rock molds that they licked and which made them freak out. alien cave dudes (with big femur bones in their hands) dancing in slow motion, on a cold, mostly barren, foreboding alien planet.

but they survive and do open fire raves under the stars

i love this album. i probably like it better than saw (either one),

and, i cant really compare directly between the 3 but it's tied for my favorite thing of his with RDJ, and druqks, with saw 1 very close behind those. i guess it depends what mood i'm in.

but i love the dark vibe of this album.

i'd prob have to say that the vibe of it is my favorite of all his albums. it's like home for me. this album is where i live.

especially portreath harbor (even if it is a bonus track). that eery alien desolate, slightly ominous, possibly prehistoric, almost tribal sound...

i can imagine a bunch of cave men and cave ladies doing strange dances around fires to that, surrounded by rocky crags and desert wastes, under chill as fuck moonlit skies. idm cave-people (look im trying to be PC) possibly on the influence of some funky tree bark or rock molds that they licked and which made them freak out. alien cave dudes (with big femur bones in their hands) dancing in slow motion, on a cold, mostly barren, foreboding alien planet.

but they survive and do open fire raves under the stars

are you my long lost twin brother? seriously, i feel like i just read my own mind while reading this post. lol wtf.

what thaaaaaa lolol how does that happen?? decimal in the wrong place or something?

ohhh, is it the first mp3 "pressing", first "digital copy?" hahaha

Edited by Lane Visitor

• 4 weeks later...

I never really liked SoSW tbh.

I've listened to it a dozen times, but I can't help but think it's pretty bland and uninteresting.

I think it's the only RDJ album I don't like except maybe some of the anal lords.

I was the same. I had SOSW in my drawer for about ten years. I'd always pull it out a few times a year to have another listen, and always put it back underwhelmed.

Then one day it hit me! And nowadays I still can't fathom why I ever disliked it....

• 4 years later...

fuckin' 34.5 pe at top volume, walking home thru a torrent of rain in the welsh countryside. SOSW views, CtD vibes <3

Oh god yeah.

5 yrs later and it's still my fave Aphex release. So good.

• 1 year later...

I just found both of these vinyls in one of my local record shops today! I spent WAY too much money on them but I’ve also been looking for SOSW on vinyl for over 20 years. I’d seen Quoth on vinyl in shops before but I’ve never seen SOSW in the flesh before and would usually torment myself at least once a week in a record store hoping that I might find it. 

I can’t believe the day has actually arrived!

• Like 5

On 8/24/2019 at 1:56 AM, J3FF3R00 said:

I just found both of these vinyls in one of my local record shops today! I spent WAY too much money on them but I’ve also been looking for SOSW on vinyl for over 20 years. I’d seen Quoth on vinyl in shops before but I’ve never seen SOSW in the flesh before and would usually torment myself at least once a week in a record store hoping that I might find it. 

Nice - this is one of the few releases that has never seen a repress on vinyl. The cassette version is ridiculously hard to get a hold of these days...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 9:03 AM, Joyrex said:

Nice - this is one of the few releases that has never seen a repress on vinyl. The cassette version is ridiculously hard to get a hold of these days...

Ya know what's funny, jrex, I almost prefer it that way- the lack of access to such a holy grail of an lp kinda adds to the Aphex mystique for me lol

On 8/23/2019 at 11:56 PM, J3FF3R00 said:

Fuck me , are you serious? I too have been dreaming about finding that bad boy, or even Quoth. Congrats on such a lucky find! Can you maybe describe how it sounds on vinyl to so many of us who have not been blessed with that fat gooey slab of SOSW energy??

Ya know one thing I love so much about that release- is the part on Track 1 that sounds degraded as if the tape was wearing out in that one spot for like a few seconds and then it returns back to normal. But man the tones and Dynamics on the whole album are unmatched electronic glory. How RDJ has worked those fatty saturated 808s and monosynths are just tasty beyond description.

Goddamnit I'm fiending. Richard pls make an SOSW II ?

3 hours ago, Uros said:

Well. you could always use Rich's own playlist for sosw II. It's here among other playlists for SC dump: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ouNaaVrNp60Ib34Kp0TO1n1XSc7-9DvfiZ9ZiTiD2c/htmlview#

"Rich's own playlist"??? Did he make the spreadsheet? 

4 hours ago, Uros said:

Well. you could always use Rich's own playlist for sosw II. It's here among other playlists for SC dump: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ouNaaVrNp60Ib34Kp0TO1n1XSc7-9DvfiZ9ZiTiD2c/htmlview#

Haha thanks, yeah I've checked that out a number of times and most of the SC dump. Totally mezmorizing. 

I need to explore the dump more (lol), it's just a bit overwhelming. It's interesting how we as fans and music consumers beg for music and when we get an unlimited amount of stuff poured at us for free, we still want more.

But I will say as far as the buildup, and craving for a proper LP or EP, those SC tracks, amazing as they are, don't fulfill my album quench, as many are demos, different mastering stages/eras, and there's nothing (except the fan's efforts at) putting a blanket, concept and package around a set of tracks and releasing commercially it as a planned effort.

All that said, if RDJ took 12 of any of those SC tracks that sounded alike enough, created artwork, and mastered them to level match and with similar tones and released it-whether I'd heard them in the dump before or not, I'd eat it up like candy lol

Edit: also, for what it's worth, a large handful of the SC dump tracks are fucking purely magical and outstanding and deserve a proper release of some sort or video or EP or something damnit. To get lost in the mud is a crime.

Also 28 Organ on Come To Daddy extras (that was part of the dump right?) is total bliss.

Edit 2: whoa I actually just remembered Richard actually complied the sosw 2 playlist himself. Fuck me, I gotta re-explore that now haha

Edited by Lane Visitor