IGNORED

Self-Indulgent Untilted track by track review

springymajig

I predict this thread will either have no replies or like my Quaristice thread, get more replies than a thread like this actually deserves.

I didn't buy this one when it came out either because I didn't think I'd like it much. I had listened to all of it in bits before but we all know listening to an Autechre album all the way through and in CD quality is unique experience in itself. So here's my thoughts on it so far (only listened to it 3 times so far):

LCC - This is one of the best things they've ever written. It's weird how for 3 albums in a row they had very similar ideas on the opening tracks (VI Scose Poise, Xylin Room and this one). They're all about 7 minutes long, they all start off very very quiet for a few seconds, they all remain completely devoid of melody for about 3 minutes. That's about where the similarities end but I still find that interesting. Anyway, LCC is awesome. That beat in the beginning is just so frantic and wild but kinda goofy at the same time, which in a way describes the whole album pretty well. And the second half proved to the Draft haters like myself that they could still write melodies like they used to. With an opener this good I find it hard not to want to listen to the rest.

Ipacial Section - Immediately the album starts to sound a little more generic with this track but I still really really like it. It reminds me of 777 and 19 Headaches. I like that it goes through lots of different sections instead of one slow gradual path, I think the whole album seems less minimal overall but maybe I've just gotten used to the repetition. That tiny beepy tunes are are awesome, so cheesy and goofy and cool. This whole album is so much more fun and cute and goofy compared to anything else they'd done before it, but in a way that works so much better than Quaristice.

Pro Radii - This is just a show off of cool beats and sounds. It seems so empty and cold. And yet at the same time I don't find it boring so obviously they did something right with it.

Augmatic Disport - Sound design wise, this one is a bit cheesy by todays standards, but ignoring that... it's so so so good. It transforms so perfectly, the pacing is really really good, the melodies that come in later on are so beautiful and the beat at the end is just so simple and cool, a breath of fresh air after the chaos they came before it. Probably the darkest part of the album, definitely another favourite of mine along with LCC.

Iera - I really don't really like giving this one a chance. If it wasn't wedged between two tracks I like and was longer than it is I would skip it. The tunes just sound arbitrary, the beats are generic with no redeeming factor.

Fermium - By far the cheesiest, goofiest part of the album, I'm not suprised this track gets a lot of negativity on this forum but I think it's fun! I dunno, maybe I'll get bored of it later.

The Trees - I'm not sure about this one yet. So far I really don't like it. But it seems like something that could grow on me over time. I just kinda wish at this point of the album there was something quieter, give my ears a break before Sublimit.

Sublimit - I think one of the things Autechre know how to do best, is that they know how which tracks to start and finish with. I don't think I like Sublimit as much as everyone else does but it makes for the perfect finish to this album. It has that fun, playful element that seems to be the theme of the album, it's long and epic, and intense. The bit about 4 minutes into it is definitely one of my favourite parts of the album. The snare there sounds so Aphexy... that bit sounds likey they cross-bred something from Drukqs with Pen Expers. It's awesome.

Overall: This album seems less popular than Draft7.30 and Quaristice but so far I like it way more than either of those.It's got a bit more heart to it than Draft (and the playful goofiness of it certainly makes it easier to listen to) and it's more solid and satisfying than Quaristice.

Guest ataraxy2

Augmatic Disport - Sound design wise, this one is a bit cheesy by todays standards...

...Overall: This album seems less popular than Draft7.30 and Quaristice but so far I like it way more than either of those.It's got a bit more heart to it than Draft (and the playful goofiness of it certainly makes it easier to listen to) and it's more solid and satisfying than Quaristice.

Cheesy sound design? Never heard of that term, not sure I follow...

Nice read, I agree with your summary. It's far better than both Draft7.30 and Quaristice put together! And with the exception of Sublimit is a very solid release.

I'm not sure if sound design is really the right term for what I mean... I just mean how it's all like... stuttery beats, and those particular drums sounds... with the kind of software and plugins you get these days that kinda sound is pretty easy to achieve and a lot of people do it now.

Of course, Autechre were the first ones to do that sorta thing! And the song is AWESOME anyway.

Ipacial Section - Immediately the album starts to sound a little more generic with this track.

Pro Radii - This is just a show off of cool beats and sounds. It seems so empty and cold.

Iera - I really don't really like giving this one a chance. If it wasn't wedged between two tracks I like and was longer than it is I would skip it. The tunes just sound arbitrary, the beats are generic with no redeeming factor.

How are both Ipacial Section and Iera generic? ...really?

I wish Autechre continued doing sprawling 8 minute long tracks that deconstruct themselves so thoroughly and sound vital and invigorated and fresh till the end. Maybe they could make an Untilted 2 without the really dry sound. That would work !

Guest theSun

Augmatic Disport - Sound design wise, this one is a bit cheesy by todays standards...

...Overall: This album seems less popular than Draft7.30 and Quaristice but so far I like it way more than either of those.It's got a bit more heart to it than Draft (and the playful goofiness of it certainly makes it easier to listen to) and it's more solid and satisfying than Quaristice.

Nice read, I agree with your summary. It's far better than both Draft7.30 and Quaristice put together! And with the exception of Sublimit is a very solid release.

dude

Guest ataraxy2

dude

I don't mind it until 6:40 and onwards. Although I get the impression that it's like the end of Nuane (11+) in that it continues for the sake of continuing - simply because you're too lazy to stop the CD/vinyl. But yeah, I definitely feel it's significantly weaker than the other tracks on Untilted and know damn well how much most WATMMers love it. It's okay though, because I have to put up with you all [most] trashing Fermium, so that balances it out.

How anyone could hate Sublimit (in my top 10 best AE tracks) and like Fermium (in my top 10 worst AE tracks) is beyond me but that's the polarizing nature of Autechre for you.

Guest theSun

dude

I don't mind it until 6:40 and onwards. Although I get the impression that it's like the end of Nuane (11+) in that it continues for the sake of continuing - simply because you're too lazy to stop the CD/vinyl. But yeah, I definitely feel it's significantly weaker than the other tracks on Untilted and know damn well how much most WATMMers love it. It's okay though, because I have to put up with you all [most] trashing Fermium, so that balances it out.

clearly you have not heard it loud enough

dude

Ya srsly: louder. How can you not love that pitchy little x-files-esque bit that's buried towards the end? Sublimit is wonderful, wonderful, all the way through.

woah... springy we have a lot of ... er... differences in opinion. like... a lot. untitled is probably my favorite ae album, but even if it weren't i don't know how you could call ipacial section generic, the sounds in augmatic disport anything close to normal, or sublimit a sub-par track. give it a few more listens! i'm surprised you saw it as goofy, lighthearted ae. kinda feels like being shot out of a gun to me..

I really like The Trees. When this 1st came out it was the 1st track that clicked with me for some reason. I picture Ents creeping through the forest preparing to demolish Isengard

ents.jpg.

I didn't say Sublimit was sub-par... I just said I don't think I PERSONALLY like it quite as much as everyone else on the forum... although it grows on me more and more (like the rest of the album).

Also when I say Ipacial Section sounds a little generic I only mean by Autechre standards... like it almost seems like they're trying to out do themselves on some of these tracks. Ipacial Section sounds like they were doing a tribute to their own frantic, robotic, blippy tracks like 19 Headaches, 777, Acroyear2, Pencha etc. Which is not a bad thing cos they do it in a way that's really cool but LCC seems a bit more unique compared to anything else they've ever done. Something about that track sticks out to me.

And come on.... I refuse to believe that no one here has never heard stuttery beats like those of Augmatic Disport... again, I absolutely love this track, and Autechre were the pioneers of this sound, but if that track was leaked now as new Autechre (ignoring the drastic style change on Oversteps) I would've assumed it was fake.

As I recall, many people assumed the album was fake when it was leaked and I'm not suprised, it all does sound a bit like Autechre trying to sound like someone trying to sound like Autechre. But cos it's really them, they can't help but being awesome in the process :P

Guest Miblo

[...] As I recall, many people assumed the album was fake when it was leaked and I'm not suprised, it all does sound a bit like Autechre trying to sound like someone trying to sound like Autechre. But cos it's really them, they can't help but being awesome in the process :P

I think this may be Lianne's point.

The Trees - I'm not sure about this one yet. So far I really don't like it. But it seems like something that could grow on me over time. I just kinda wish at this point of the album there was something quieter, give my ears a break before Sublimit.

:cerious:

LCC, The Trees (love the melodies in this), and Pro Radii are my absolute favorites from this album. Ipacial Section and [specifically] the last half of Augmatic Disport are close in to them at that. I really like the opener to Iera too.

Sublimit does nothing special for me as it usually goes by me unnoticed. It's not as though I dislike it, I just find nothing that makes it one of those "this is one of my favorite Autechre tracks" in the sense of how it sounds or progresses. With that said, I do like how it ends the album and the first half minutes are the only parts of it I remember, which has nice percussion.

Fermium gets too much hate, though I can't even remember it at the moment.

I think I even like Iera now. I've had the beginning stuck in my head all day. At least I like the beginning.

I think this album is fantastic. My taste really must be completely different to everyone else on this forum.

Guest ataraxy2

I think I even like Iera now. I've had the beginning stuck in my head all day. At least I like the beginning.

I think this album is fantastic. My taste really must be completely different to everyone else on this forum.

Iera is perfection. Starts with acid, progresses through an uncertain, wary landscape, then finally reaches its destination. It was the last song on Untilted to really 'click' with me. Untilted is right on par with (and would be above were it not for Sublimit) Amber. :emotawesomepm9:

Guest theSun

sublimit is all about that hidden melody that starts somewhere around 10 minutes and the crescendo of the percussion through added delays/rushes til the end. that song isn't a second too long

unlike lentic :whistling:

that song isn't a second too long

unlike lentic :whistling:

...I really want to rant about this but I'm so tired tonight. All I can say is that as much as I like Sublimit I much prefer Lentic Catachresis. By a lot.

Archived