IGNORED

Guest boredroom

Guest jowonio

As Promised :)

Unearthed the discovered tomb of the 3 headed Anubis

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PAWK3E8E

Thank you so much for this - been an early dog fan since they days of their Bulletin Board and always wanted to hear some of this stuff, but never got the chance.. you are a star.. managed to download this before the link stopped working.. but was wondering if there was any chance you could repost in FLAC? just would like to extract all the juice from it..

peace

J

Guest ruiagnelo

is there a chance that this release is just ken? I haven't been able to listen to it yet but I was reading that trainer was originally going to include a lot of ken's b-sides and leftovers but they couldn't come to an agreement so they just released the stuff ed and andy had done. so I thought that maybe this could be the ken stuff that was leftover.

ps boredroom is ken

I doubt. A lot of the tracks are mixes and edits from original released tracks, so they must be sketches that have been improved and developed until the final version. The unreleased tracks were probably taken out of selection to the final bytes / spanners tracklists, so i believe all these were made by ed, andy and ken, together.

Guest sirch

is there a chance that this release is just ken? I haven't been able to listen to it yet but I was reading that trainer was originally going to include a lot of ken's b-sides and leftovers but they couldn't come to an agreement so they just released the stuff ed and andy had done. so I thought that maybe this could be the ken stuff that was leftover.

ps boredroom is ken

it's not a proper release it's just a collection of different tunes that boredroom came by in stages, years ago, from various other fans who'd got their hands on them.

i very much doubt boredroom is Ken, lol. but i have the feeling there's some demos by Ken alone in there. you just have to listen, you can sort of tell.

also ..some by Andy, but most by Ed (from what boredroom tells me?). :)

Guest sirch

yes please

ask boredroom nicely then innit. he takes payment by way of guiness these days.. :)

anything if it brings closer an actual release of all those old recordings. there's lots of good moments on these tapes and i don't want to see why these couldn't see an official release.

Guest sirch

i don't think it's worth releasing really, imo. they're just old demos and jams. interesting to listen to like once or twice, but hardly anything anybody would rush out to buy! the reason boredroom uploaded it in the beginning was because he was saying he remembered how bad it all sounded?

compared to the final album version of 'Bytes'! and it is pretty terrible stuff really when you compare it. interesting tho for sure. but not really release quality. that's probably the reason why Ed & Andy didn't think to include any of it on 'Trainer', 10 years ago.

Guest sirch

I've only heard bytes and spanners due to lack of money and also having a shitty internet cap.

Check out 1996's Music for Adverts (And Short Films), by The Black Dog. there's some really good tunes on there!

very 'Black Dog' sounding, if you're more into the early sound, but a lot more... minimal and bare bones, i guess. seeing as it was made by only 1/3 of the original group. doesn't really compare to the brilliance of Bytes and the later Plaid albums and EP's of the 90's, but it's still a good album in its own right. :)

Guest ruiagnelo

I've only heard bytes and spanners due to lack of money and also having a shitty internet cap.

Check out 1996's Music for Adverts (And Short Films), by The Black Dog. there's some really good tunes on there!

very 'Black Dog' sounding, if you're more into the early sound, but a lot more... minimal and bare bones, i guess. seeing as it was made by only 1/3 of the original group. doesn't really compare to the brilliance of Bytes and the later Plaid albums and EP's of the 90's, but it's still a good album in its own right. :)

I got back to it the other day after a long time and i realized i had forgotten how good it is. You can really see that ken is [or was] and talented guy. I can't see that much of ken nowadays with the dust brothers.

Also i agree with you that this stuff would not get advantages if released, altought you have to admit its pretty unique feeling to listen to old tunes by the old black dog guys.

First off - thank you Boredroom, you sir are the best and I hope you are able to locate some more Black Dog/Balil material that is stashed away.

As for the Jam Session itself, yes the quality is bad and could obviously use some mastering, but there are quite a few songs on here that are absolutely fantastic and should have been released if it was at all possible. The notion that this is something that you would listen to once or twice is kind of overblown. Yes, there are some filler tracks in there, such as the 808/MC-202 workouts by Ed on Side B, but tracks like Merck (mix 3) and Rosery Pilots (Mix 2) are absolutely brilliant. I myself would definitely pay for material like this and other unreleased stuff if that were ever a possibility.

Coming from someone who has Balil tracks flooding my top 10 songs of all time, I am extremely grateful for having the opportunity to finally hear some of these illusive tracks. Thank you again!

Ahhhh all sounds amazing, can anyone re-up this please??

is it not available anymore on the original link?

Unfortunately not, can anyone re-up this? would love to hear this early stuff

Guest sirch

As for the Jam Session itself, yes the quality is bad and could obviously use some mastering, but there are quite a few songs on here that are absolutely fantastic and should have been released if it was at all possible. The notion that this is something that you would listen to once or twice is kind of overblown. Yes, there are some filler tracks in there, such as the 808/MC-202 workouts by Ed on Side B, but tracks like Merck (mix 3) and Rosery Pilots (Mix 2) are absolutely brilliant. I myself would definitely pay for material like this and other unreleased stuff if that were ever a possibility.

Coming from someone who has Balil tracks flooding my top 10 songs of all time, I am extremely grateful for having the opportunity to finally hear some of these illusive tracks. Thank you again!

there's not really any filler beacuse it's not like an album, is it? it's a collection of odd recordings/demos/jams.

but yeah those 2 tracks you mentioned are good. but personally i found it more interesting and special to be able to hear some of the more rough stuff that i'd most probably never of been able to hear othewrwise, like the demos + 808 workouts. though i originally assumed that one you mention was by Ken. i really like the 'Fight the Hits' demo (i think it is..) where you can hear like 2 or 3 different tracks in one, and a melody which i'm fairly sure featured lateron on a track on Spanners... so for me it's very interesting stuff in that respect, like hearing how certain tracks started out and then developed and mutated. but that's about it really :) still, much thanks again to boredroom though for upping it. definitely

Guest jowonio

Is there any possibility that anyone at WATMM could master this?

I would certainly be happy have a go at mastering this, but would prefer to have wave files rather than mp3 to do it from.. any chance boredroom that you could send me the files or CD?? and I'd happily share back..

all best

J

Guest ruiagnelo

I would certainly be happy have a go at mastering this, but would prefer to have wave files rather than mp3 to do it from.. any chance boredroom that you could send me the files or CD?? and I'd happily share back..

all best

J

I think boredroom has the wave files. Anyway, as i don't really have enough knowledge, why is it better to remaster from the wave, and not as good from the mp3 files?

Guest jowonio

all best

J

I think boredroom has the wave files. Anyway, as i don't really have enough knowledge, why is it better to remaster from the wave, and not as good from the mp3 files?

Hi

i do audio editing in soundforge which would mean coverting from the lossy format MP3 to wave.. so we'd simply be starting with less. starting with a wave file just means we'd have more quality to qork with.. even though thr music is from a tape, it would still be berret quality in its original wave.

hope yr well

j

Guest sirch

only have MP3's here, too. same as Jowonio. but could certainly 'beef up' the tracks so they sounded a lot more loud and clear.

it wouldn't technically be proper mastering but it'd make 'em sound better :)

might just have a go at it anyway for fun...

Guest jowonio

only have MP3's here, too. same as Jowonio. but could certainly 'beef up' the tracks so they sounded a lot more loud and clear.

Hi Sirch

had a go at beefing up the mp3s and they certainly do shine up okay. I can do real mastering as I have a small mastering set up, as i have a small home studio, and this would be a slightly different process than simply using waverhammer or some such plug in.. if we can get hold of the original files, i'd love to have a go. early BDP is still some of my favourite music. It was me who let the long version of 'island' called 'island praise' out in the world, after a my friend stuart and I wrote to the magazine who first put it out on cassette years ago, and they sent us a DAT copy. I know some people call that track 'Island Paradise', but "island Praise' is what was written on the DAT.. anyway that's just an aside.. really wish BDP would have an archive trawl and give us a BDP 'Trainer' style thing... even just remasters of The Black Dog Productions ep, and Parasight would be amazing.. but any other bdp/balil would so do it for me..

all best

J

Guest ruiagnelo

Hi Sirch

had a go at beefing up the mp3s and they certainly do shine up okay. I can do real mastering as I have a small mastering set up, as i have a small home studio, and this would be a slightly different process than simply using waverhammer or some such plug in.. if we can get hold of the original files, i'd love to have a go. early BDP is still some of my favourite music. It was me who let the long version of 'island' called 'island praise' out in the world, after a my friend stuart and I wrote to the magazine who first put it out on cassette years ago, and they sent us a DAT copy. I know some people call that track 'Island Paradise', but "island Praise' is what was written on the DAT.. anyway that's just an aside.. really wish BDP would have an archive trawl and give us a BDP 'Trainer' style thing... even just remasters of The Black Dog Productions ep, and Parasight would be amazing.. but any other bdp/balil would so do it for me..

all best

J

Hey jowonio,

I guess it's up to boredroom to get you the original files. Still, can you upload the beefed up files so we can listen to the differences?

Guest sirch

Hi Sirch

all best

J

Hi J,

I have a small home studio aswell. though i'm no mastering engineer admitedly!

not heard of the plugin you mentioned. but it wouldn't simply be a case of me whacking a plugin over the top anyway!

I agree with you about the BD Productions-Trainer-style-compilation. that'd be really good. and something i'm sure loads of people would buy and enjoy aswell.

when was the first official BDP release? was it Plaids' 'Mbuki Mvuki' album?

that came out in '91, right?

that's almost 20 years, next year.. so maybe that would be a good time to release a compilation of golden oldies and rare/unreleased material??

just a thought. but would seem fairly 'apt', i reckon. :)

if Ed & Andy read this forum.. what do you guys think?? - haha :D

Edited by sirch

Guest ruiagnelo

Hi Sirch

all best

J

Hi J,

I have a small home studio aswell. though i'm no mastering engineer admitedly!

not heard of the plugin you mentioned. but it wouldn't simply be a case of me whacking a plugin over the top anyway!

I agree with you about the BD Productions-Trainer-style-compilation. that'd be really good. and something i'm sure loads of people would buy and enjoy aswell.

when was the first official BDP release? was it Plaids' 'Mbuki Mvuki' album?

that came out in '91, right?

that's almost 20 years, next year.. so maybe that would be a good time to release a compilation of golden oldies and rare/unreleased material?? just a thought. but would seem fairly 'apt', i reckon. :)

if Ed & Andy read this forum.. what do you guys think?? - haha :D

On The Black Dog forums i suggested a reissue of Bytes, remastered and with second disc of unreleased and rare tracks, because we haven't really had a reissue of this record. Still i think Ed & Andy seem to be really into their actual thing and not worried about the past, as well as Ken who knew about this tape that boredroom uploaded and said he refused to listen to it. Plus the fact that they are separated and working on different projects makes it even harder to happen.

Lets just hope they read this forum and maybe we can see something in the future.

Guest sirch

On The Black Dog forums i suggested a reissue of Bytes, remastered and with second disc of unreleased and rare tracks, because we haven't really had a reissue of this record. Still i think Ed & Andy seem to be really into their actual thing and not worried about the past, as well as Ken who knew about this tape that boredroom uploaded and said he refused to listen to it. Plus the fact that they are separated and working on different projects makes it even harder to happen.

Lets just hope they read this forum and maybe we can see something in the future.

personally i don't think they'll ever re-issue or even remaster Bytes.

for one i don't think there's any real need, and 2, if they were ever going to do it i reckon it'd have been done around the same time all the other old stuff was remastered/re-issued on Soma. it must have been discussed at the time, whether or not to do Bytes and Spanners, too?

but those albums where Warp albums. not BDP or GPR. so i think there'd be difficulties with Warp and the original band members coming to an agreement on what to do, who to master it, artwork, etc etc. the other stuff i assume was relatively easy to get done and re-issued, because it was pretty much left to Dust to get on with, i guess. but i think for Bytes to be re-issued/remastered would invlove a lot more time and effort and hassle with Warp, .. which, like you say, Ken, Ed & Andy probably could not be bothered with, as they're all doing new stuff NOW, in the moment.

what Jowonio is talking about though is different to just a re-issue of Bytes. it would be like the 'Trainer' compiliation. but just not ALL music by Plaid/Ed & Andy. it'd be a mixture of stuff by KEN + Ed + Andy, in all their various guises and pseudonyms from back in the (Black Dog Productions) day! which i think would be very very interesting. difficult, but interesting and worth putting out! :)

Edited by sirch