IGNORED

Guest boredroom

Guest ruiagnelo

On The Black Dog forums i suggested a reissue of Bytes, remastered and with second disc of unreleased and rare tracks, because we haven't really had a reissue of this record. Still i think Ed & Andy seem to be really into their actual thing and not worried about the past, as well as Ken who knew about this tape that boredroom uploaded and said he refused to listen to it. Plus the fact that they are separated and working on different projects makes it even harder to happen.

Lets just hope they read this forum and maybe we can see something in the future.

personally i don't think they'll ever re-issue or even remaster Bytes.

for one i don't think there's any real need, and 2, if they were ever going to do it i reckon it'd have been done around the same time all the other old stuff was remastered/re-issued on Soma. it must have been discussed at the time, whether or not to do Bytes and Spanners, too?

but those albums where Warp albums. not BDP or GPR. so i think there'd be difficulties with Warp and the original band members coming to an agreement on what to do, who to master it, artwork, etc etc. the other stuff i assume was relatively easy to get done and re-issued, because it was pretty much left to Dust to get on with, i guess. but i think for Bytes to be re-issued/remastered would invlove a lot more time and effort and hassle with Warp, .. which, like you say, Ken, Ed & Andy probably could not be bothered with, as they're all doing new stuff NOW, in the moment.

what Jowonio is talking about though is different to just a re-issue of Bytes. it would be like the 'Trainer' compiliation. but just not ALL music by Plaid/Ed & Andy. it'd be a mixture of stuff by KEN + Ed + Andy, in all their various guises and pseudonyms from back in the (Black Dog Productions) day! which i think would be very very interesting. difficult, but interesting and worth putting out! :)

Kinda like a "Trainer 2", right? The question is: what do Ed + Andy + Ken think about it and what can we [fans] do so it can see daylight?

Guest sirch

..they must all have old stuff knocking about, on DAT, cassette, CD.. somewhere, surely.

wouldn't take toooooo long to dig some of it out and check out?? choose maybe 4 or 5 (or 6 or 7 :)) tracks each?

get someone to master it. maybe just go to the same guy tBd used before to remaster the old stuff for the Soma re-issues?

or even just use the guy who mastered Trainer? then contact think1 or the designers republic, or somebody cool like that to do some Artwork.

(i don't much like the Dust artwork, tbh. think most of it's been a bit dull and uninteresting, apart from some of their earlier lettersyle stuff).

then press up some 'limited' (oooooooooooooooooooo!) vinyls, CD's.. etc. etc. and Hey Presto! - easy peasey! lol :D

Guest ruiagnelo

..they must all have old stuff knocking about, on DAT, cassette, CD.. somewhere, surely.

wouldn't take toooooo long to dig some of it out and check out?? choose maybe 4 or 5 (or 6 or 7 :)) tracks each?

get someone to master it. maybe just go to the same guy tBd used before to remaster the old stuff for the Soma re-issues?

or even just use the guy who mastered Trainer? then contact think1 or the designers republic, or somebody cool like that to do some Artwork.

(i don't much like the Dust artwork, tbh. think most of it's been a bit dull and uninteresting, apart from some of their earlier lettersyle stuff).

then press up some 'limited' (oooooooooooooooooooo!) vinyls, CD's.. etc. etc. and Hey Presto! - easy peasey! lol :D

As soon as i have some time i will write an email to plaid. Just to leave the suggestion in the air.

Guest sirch

Kinda like a "Trainer 2", right? The question is: what do Ed + Andy + Ken think about it and what can we [fans] do so it can see daylight?

yeah that's it :)

we can't really do anything though. apart from discuss it and maybe hope they read it and like the idea.

otherwise, ......... well, it's a nice thought anyway :)

i have my doubts it would ever see the light of day though..............

depends how much Ken, Ed and Andy are willing to communicate at all, i guess.

As soon as i have some time i will write an email to plaid. Just to leave the suggestion in the air.

Good idea :)

Guest jowonio

Is there any possibility that anyone at WATMM could master this?

only have MP3's here, too. same as Jowonio. but could certainly 'beef up' the tracks so they sounded a lot more loud and clear.

it wouldn't technically be proper mastering but it'd make 'em sound better :)

might just have a go at it anyway for fun...

Hi Sirch

had a go at beefing up the mp3s and they certainly do shine up okay. I can do real mastering as I have a small mastering set up, as i have a small home studio, and this would be a slightly different process than simply using waverhammer or some such plug in.. if we can get hold of the original files, i'd love to have a go. early BDP is still some of my favourite music. It was me who let the long version of 'island' called 'island praise' out in the world, after a my friend stuart and I wrote to the magazine who first put it out on cassette years ago, and they sent us a DAT copy. I know some people call that track 'Island Paradise', but "island Praise' is what was written on the DAT.. anyway that's just an aside.. really wish BDP would have an archive trawl and give us a BDP 'Trainer' style thing... even just remasters of The Black Dog Productions ep, and Parasight would be amazing.. but any other bdp/balil would so do it for me..

all best

J

Hey jowonio,

I guess it's up to boredroom to get you the original files. Still, can you upload the beefed up files so we can listen to the differences?

Hi Sirch, i will try and get the beefed up files available this weekend.. i'll put them on megaupload or some such..

all best

John

Guest jowonio

yeah that's it :)

we can't really do anything though. apart from discuss it and maybe hope they read it and like the idea.

otherwise, ......... well, it's a nice thought anyway :)

i have my doubts it would ever see the light of day though..............

depends how much Ken, Ed and Andy are willing to communicate at all, i guess.

Good idea :)

Yes it would be so good to hear, and there does seem to be interest still in the old BDP stuff.. personally I'd love to hear more balil stuff.. i think parasight, bytes and the black dog productions ep are my favourites.. but any good comp from the vaults from the old days of bdp would be worthwhile i am sure..

all best

J

Guest jowonio

That would be so good of you.. I did email Ken a while back to ask if they were still planning to reissue bdp back catalogue and he said they were planning to but were very busy with new stuff. ken, ed and andy must be talking a bit though as they put out the book of dogma comp..

all best

J

Guest sirch

Hi Sirch, i will try and get the beefed up files available this weekend.. i'll put them on megaupload or some such..

all best

John

cool cool. looking forward to hearing them, as i'm sure are many others! nice one

Guest sirch

Yes it would be so good to hear, and there does seem to be interest still in the old BDP stuff.. personally I'd love to hear more balil stuff.. i think parasight, bytes and the black dog productions ep are my favourites.. but any good comp from the vaults from the old days of bdp would be worthwhile i am sure..

all best

J

Yeah i reckon there's a big interest still. i would say most (at the least the older) Plaid fans still love their early BDP stuff! and albums like the Trainer comp, Bytes, etc. etc. at least everyone i know and have spoken to does! :)

I'd love to hear more by Bailil, aswell. and Atypic.

if Ken is not interested, nevermind. it would be so good to hear more new (and old) stuff by Ed & Andy. whether it's as Balil, Atypic, Tura, Plaid.. + One ;)

it's all good

but i'm starting to think maybe Plaid have gone off putting out actual releases, in favour of writing music for live shows and things like the SBGP, Nord Rute, and various festivals and live collaborations, etc.

i guess there's more money in that than there is putting out a traditional album these days! with everybody downloading so much for free.

makes sense as an artist to just say fuck it then and write music for live performances and one-off gigs. makes the music more special too if it's only played out a few times, and/or recorded by fans and shared amongst fans, for the love of their music. :)

anyway i'm still all for a 'Trainer 2', if they ever have the time. bring it on i say! :)

Guest boredroom

Nice posts guys!

Only realised that the original upload of 5.3.11 has been deleted by accident when I deleted the Ae Dublin live set doh.

Thanks for the pm's people and no need for me to upload now as it seems. . not to worry as a better quality will be uploaded by Jowonio soon :)

A suggestion which may be a good idea, would be to compile and title the compilation as 5.3.11(BDP) - 'Bits'

cos it consists of the aliases of three members tracks and its essentially a collection of leftover 'Bits' :D

que piensa?

Paying homage to Bytes, which some of the tracks cirulate around that time and the fact they are incomplete demos or unreleased jams a.k.a 'bits' and the fact they are of inferior megabyte quality ie kilobits you get the gest ill say no more :)

I have some minidiscs Ive found and an unreliable player which works - sometimes - (when you throw it off the wall!) and there are also some tracks on there which I havent came across all these dog years. Maybe they can be included in our own compilation and yes Tape 2 does exist and when I find it I will of course share it :)

ps. just goes to show how much unheard tracks are out there and probably just as many lurkers who have exclusives which the wont share for one reason or other.. I have been sitting on these tracks since early mid nineties and have been a lurker since the days of the old watmm site before cyclops and pooziq got a mention ;) and the people I exchanged all this treasure with last decade?? where art thou?

I forgot to mention - please pm me if you have any questions and I shall reply. As it is quicker than trying to read up on old posts and replying. Thanks! :)

Guest sirch

We love you Boredroom we do, we love you Boredroom we do... oh Boredroom we love you! :D

nice one mate, get that Tape 2 up soon (please) :)

oh and i like the "Bits" title. very apt.

Cheers! :)

Guest sirch

ps. what about that tape you had where Plaid did those tracks with Autechre, did you manage to find that yet? cheers

Guest sirch

not to worry as a better quality will be uploaded by Jowonio soon :)

i'm very much looking forward to hearing these beefed up versions by Jowonio!

it'd be intertesting to hear what process you went through to master them, also, J? if that's ok with you of course. :)

Guest ruiagnelo

is there a mirror for this somewhere?

the megaupload one is down

The original upload is not available anymore, but you can ask boredroom to reupload it. Meanwhile i have upped this one: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MB5KFWM5 It has the two sides of the tape split into the 15 tracks and a cover artwork i did with the title 'Bits' in homage to the 'Bytes' that TBD did in the 90's.

capa-1-1.jpg

Thank you very much borderoom for the black dog live jam sessions!

been a big big black dog/plaid fan from way back when.

bytes and spanners are my all time favourite albums and still give me dog bumps today..

so, i really enjoyed listening to those unreleased tracks and versions of old tracks i love so much.

mmm, now looking forward to hearing tape 2 !

also, big thanks to all other members for the great work your doing !

nice work ruiagnelo !

i tried the mega link but get this message..

We have detected an elevated number of requests from your IP address.

This may be caused by improperly designed third-party software.

A temporary access restriction is in place. Please check back in 20 minutes or log in using your premium account

i'll try again later.

Is there any possibility that anyone at WATMM could master this?

only have MP3's here, too. same as Jowonio. but could certainly 'beef up' the tracks so they sounded a lot more loud and clear.

it wouldn't technically be proper mastering but it'd make 'em sound better :)

might just have a go at it anyway for fun...

Hi Sirch

had a go at beefing up the mp3s and they certainly do shine up okay. I can do real mastering as I have a small mastering set up, as i have a small home studio, and this would be a slightly different process than simply using waverhammer or some such plug in.. if we can get hold of the original files, i'd love to have a go. early BDP is still some of my favourite music. It was me who let the long version of 'island' called 'island praise' out in the world, after a my friend stuart and I wrote to the magazine who first put it out on cassette years ago, and they sent us a DAT copy. I know some people call that track 'Island Paradise', but "island Praise' is what was written on the DAT.. anyway that's just an aside.. really wish BDP would have an archive trawl and give us a BDP 'Trainer' style thing... even just remasters of The Black Dog Productions ep, and Parasight would be amazing.. but any other bdp/balil would so do it for me..

all best

J

ah ah that was you ! so thanks a lot for that "Island praise" upload, that was really cool & smart to get that DAT from the original magazine. the track never really left winamp since i download it from your blog. thanks again for that.

Guest ruiagnelo

Thank you very much borderoom for the black dog live jam sessions!

been a big big black dog/plaid fan from way back when.

bytes and spanners are my all time favourite albums and still give me dog bumps today..

so, i really enjoyed listening to those unreleased tracks and versions of old tracks i love so much.

mmm, now looking forward to hearing tape 2 !

also, big thanks to all other members for the great work your doing !

nice work ruiagnelo !

i tried the mega link but get this message..

We have detected an elevated number of requests from your IP address.

This may be caused by improperly designed third-party software.

A temporary access restriction is in place. Please check back in 20 minutes or log in using your premium account

i'll try again later.

Thanks mate. Keep sharing those tunes so they don't die across future years.

Shall do mate.. turned many a folk into fans over these past 20 years !

the black dog and plaid's tunes will never die... not in this world anyway :)

Guest sirch

Meanwhile i have upped this one: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MB5KFWM5 It has the two sides of the tape split into the 15 tracks and a cover artwork i did with the title 'Bits' in homage to the 'Bytes' that TBD did in the 90's.

capa-1-1.jpg

excellent work! well done that man! i like the cover you've made. "Bits" is a cool sounding title.

nice one

Guest ruiagnelo

Meanwhile i have upped this one: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MB5KFWM5 It has the two sides of the tape split into the 15 tracks and a cover artwork i did with the title 'Bits' in homage to the 'Bytes' that TBD did in the 90's.

capa-1-1.jpg

excellent work! well done that man! i like the cover you've made. "Bits" is a cool sounding title.

nice one

Thanks mate. Boredroom suggested 'Bits' in homage to 'Bytes' so i instantly though about the magnificent black cover with the landscape of the 1993 comp. The background is from 'Trainer' as you might have noticed, the landscape is a detail from one of my charcoal drawings and the text follows the same pattern as on 'Bytes'.

Guest ruiagnelo

cool! i really like it. i think it goes well with the music.

True that. Might be because of the 'old' feeling of the image, but i think its mainly because of the 'Bytes' cover that comes to your mind when you listen to this tunes. It happens with me.

Guest sirch

cool! i really like it. i think it goes well with the music.

True that. Might be because of the 'old' feeling of the image, but i think its mainly because of the 'Bytes' cover that comes to your mind when you listen to this tunes. It happens with me.

yeah, and not only that but it's the colour aswell. it goes very well. plus the image of the hill, or (ancient) mountain... out of which UFO's might come and go frequently :)

is there a mirror for this somewhere?

the megaupload one is down

The original upload is not available anymore, but you can ask boredroom to reupload it. Meanwhile i have upped this one: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MB5KFWM5 It has the two sides of the tape split into the 15 tracks and a cover artwork i did with the title 'Bits' in homage to the 'Bytes' that TBD did in the 90's.

capa-1-1.jpg

Is this new version mastered/boosted/anything at all? Or just split with artwork?