IGNORED

SAW2

bubbhasdance

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Eno, but SAWII is exceptional and for me the best ambient album ever made.

A bit predictable having "Music For Airports" at number one. I think "Ambient 4 - On Land" is a much better album.

I know these lists are asinine, and this one is doubly so for being P4K, but Gas - Pop at 11 upset me a little. Especially with Tim Hecker and William Basinski in the top 10. IDK those are the go-to ambient artists for people who never listen to electronic music.

It's pretty trippy and anxiety inducing reading very old posts. These ones aren't too bad (thankfully) :cool:

If I had the opportunity again to drop out of the real world and disappear back into the wilderness I'd pack this album in my kitbag. I think sometimes Selected Ambient Works II is so otherworldly and extraterrestrial it doesn't quite vibe with me when I'm working hard six days a week with just one day off. It's hard for me to get my head into the necessary groove to appreciate the weird universe of this album.

Maybe I'll get back there, sometime someday soon....

Do any of you wish you hadn't been subjected to the song titles. I tried going to untitled tracks for a while, but it ended up frustrating, and I ended up just trying to think of their "titles" anyways. But if they were meant to be untitled tracks, I sort of wish that I'd never known the titles, and that I could synthesize my own titles from experience with the track - I could still use the given images as a starting point, but maybe my titles wouldn't be as literal

I've intentionally avoided, perhaps compulsively, creating the associations with a fan-title or even an image from the album art for almost 20 years now, instead referring to them only by the disc/track number (on the US 2xCD release that introduced me to it). The only one I know by name is "Stone in Focus" because that's not on the release.

At this point my associations with internal visuals are stronger than someone else's title or image ever would be, and I wouldn't be particularly bothered anyway if someone insisted on referring to them by name if we were listening to it or discussing it.

Sort of daunting when looking at the album/track lengths.  I know it took me a long time before I sat down and listened to the whole thing.  I got the crappy 1972 repress recently for a good price, so that's when I finally gave the whole album a go.  Really memorizing at times, and really is the pinnacle of ambient music.

And hey, this is my first post!  Hello WATMM people  :emotawesomepm9:

Eno may have 'invented' ambient music but SAWII pisses on anything he's ever done.

99% Agreed.

Except for eno's "an ending". SAWII pissing on that seems a bit harsh. Maybe it just shakes the few last piss drips on/or wipes it's nob on it at end of piss.

Eno may have 'invented' ambient music but SAWII pisses on anything he's ever done.

99% Agreed.

Except for eno's "an ending". SAWII pissing on that seems a bit harsh. Maybe it just shakes the few last piss drips on/or wipes it's nob on it at end of piss.

Aphex is more druggy than Eno. They are both just as brilliant, but if you're into drugs then Aphex is your man. Having said that I wouldn't want too listen to most (not all) of SAWII on drugs, I'd rather listen to Eno. Mmmmm....

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Going through my entire music collection in artist-name alphabetical order - Taken 2 months but finally reached Aphex Twin and SAW II. Has anyone had a go at cleaning up the dialogue on #12, this is the best I could get:

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/saw2num12.mp3

It's something like....

"I was talking to Sam and he said 'you fucking die'"

"'You fucking die' ?!"

"When's that ever good eh - What d'you think he meant by that?"

" catch the most brown(?) and I said 'you fucking die'"

"I'm not bothered it's nothing personal. It's a story (?) weren't they (?) ... highscool in a pub, fieldhockey players"

(laughs)

"His mum was embarrassed/bashed him ?"

(lots of reverb washing away the rest of the voices)

"You're blowing my mind"

Going through my entire music collection in artist-name alphabetical order - Taken 2 months but finally reached Aphex Twin and SAW II. Has anyone had a go at cleaning up the dialogue on #12, this is the best I could get:

It's something like....

"'You fucking die' ?!"

" catch the most brown(?) and I said 'you fucking die'"

"I'm not bothered it's nothing personal. It's a story (?) weren't they (?) ... highscool in a pub, fieldhockey players"

(laughs)

"You're blowing my mind"

Considering the time period... do you think Sam is a 'she' rather than a 'he' (SamanTHA)

• 1 month later...

It's something like....

"'You fucking die' ?!"

"<something something> catch the most brown(?) and I said 'you fucking die'"

(laughs)

"You're blowing my mind"

Are you talking about the bit at 3:10 that is ring-modulated? Sounds like a Morecambe and Wise skit.

3:30 I was five minutes getting inside...

...and I topped it off with some mushrooms...

4:06 Also if you play the track really fast there is some foreign language dialogue in the low frequencies.

Archived