Guest Greg Reason

as i understand it, balance would come up with an idea, or suggestion, and sleazy and another member would actualize it. not to say that he didnt have a direct hand in things, but generally this is how it went. or at least thats how it seemed to be portrayed in 'englands hidden reverse.'

i probably should do some digging through the coil archives, but yeah Jhon would often counter the common perception you state above, the way he made it seem he was responsible for the actual sounds in and most of the result of songs like Teenage Lightning. He was a big fan of the arp 2600 and described playing with one as a spiritual experience

don't want this to get overlooked; it's a new fan compilation, Unnatural History IV, of rare coil tracks, from one off singles and compilations and alternate mixes and things... mostly from the 80s and 90s era. Convenient to have them all together in good quality.

as i understand it, balance would come up with an idea, or suggestion, and sleazy and another member would actualize it. not to say that he didnt have a direct hand in things, but generally this is how it went. or at least thats how it seemed to be portrayed in 'englands hidden reverse.'

i probably should do some digging through the coil archives, but yeah Jhon would often counter the common perception you state above, the way he made it seem he was responsible for the actual sounds in and most of the result of songs like Teenage Lightning. He was a big fan of the arp 2600 and described playing with one as a spiritual experience

like i said, i have no doubt he made actual sounds, just not as much as sleazy or maybe what ever other member happened to be in the group. tho id be interested in reading that stuff from the list archive if youre able to find it.

don't want this to get overlooked; it's a new fan compilation, Unnatural History IV, of rare coil tracks, from one off singles and compilations and alternate mixes and things... mostly from the 80s and 90s era. Convenient to have them all together in good quality.

this is awesome, thanks.

Guest Greg Reason

That whole album (Moon's Milk bonus disk) is fucking amazing, some of the best ambient music they ever made

Should have been more exhaustive, but it's a nice effort I guess.

Guest Greg Reason

That interview is really interesting because of how bitter Sleaz is towards Jhonn. That was in 03, at the crux of their relationship breakdown and the day after the two-piece performance at Mutek when Balance was simply too fucked up to be present. This was actually the first interview I watched when I got Colour Sound Oblivion and it took me aback to hear Sleaz put it in those terms

gaspar noe, interviewed in relation to enter the void:

A lot's been talked about the visual aspect of the film, but the audio side is also fascinating. It reminds me - and I know you used Coil on the soundtrack - of John Balance's Time Machines project, in that there's this throbbing, pulsating stereo effect that -

What's that?

You know the band Coil? He [the band's late founding member John Balance] did an album called Time Machines -

I don't know that record. I used another one called ANS, where he used a Russian synthesiser. And I met him, he came to Paris and not only did he give me the rights to use that record ANS, but he also called his ex-partners in Throbbing Gristle and said, "Gaspar wants to put Hamburger Lady in a scene of his movie."And he convinced the other partners in Throbbing Gristle to let me use the music for my film.

His music for Coil and Throbbing Gristle was trippy. Sometimes just a drum can put you in a hypnotic state, and there aren't many musicians that play with drums and frequencies that can hypnotise you, and put you in a dream state.

http://www.denofgeek...fter_death.html

he seems to be confusing sleazy and jhonn there, i think...

Edited by kaini

apparently noe said sleazy helped inspire him to be a filmmaker after viewing an early short film of his

Edited by Z_B_Z

Guest Greg Reason

That's a hell of a movie too! Gaspar Noe is one intense motherfucker. I don't think I could ever watch Irreversible a second time

That interview is really interesting because of how bitter Sleaz is towards Jhonn. That was in 03, at the crux of their relationship breakdown and the day after the two-piece performance at Mutek when Balance was simply too fucked up to be present. This was actually the first interview I watched when I got Colour Sound Oblivion and it took me aback to hear Sleaz put it in those terms

i was going to say something along similar lines, that their inner relationship turmoil was sometimes revealed when they would talk about who did what in the band. There seemed to be almost a competition going (or at least i sensed this) among Sleazy and Jhon, where jhon actually acted offended when people would suggest Sleazy was the main force in the band, so ultimately we will never really know unless Danny Hyde writes a tell all.

on a side note, some of thighpaulsandras solo stuff is really great. 'red birds..' and 'tiny golden books' are mostly his creations. cover art by sleazy on this (lol extremely perverted track)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrK4okpVLo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOYk4gxPK68&feature=related

psychotic cut featuring balance-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YgZvdYe0Wc&feature=related

Edited by Z_B_Z

its too bad there isn't a coil list anymore, Z_B_Z would have been it's most active fan boy besides John Whitney himself

edit: looks like it might still be active - http://www.hollyfeld.org/mailman/listinfo/coil but its private now

Edited by Awepittance

an unapologetic and completely unreserved FANBOY

too few groups worthy of obsession these days, far too few...

im on that mailing list and believe me, youre not missing anything.

Edited by Z_B_Z

btw if anyones interested in checking out david keenans 'englands hidden reverse' give me a pm. theres this one pdf that gives a great overview. very comprehensive.

double btw, that list isnt private

Guest Greg Reason

For a long time Astral Disaster was my favourite Coil album actually.... These days I just can't get over my love of Black Antlers

• 4 weeks later...

i dont notice much difference the the "sympathetically remasterd" reissue of black antlers but replacing the mutek version of 'wraiths and strays' with the paris version improves the album so much. definitely benefits having balance present in this one. 6:30 and on is nothing short of brilliance.

Guest Greg Reason

The original CDr was not mastered at all. "Sympathetic" remastering because only slight tweaks were made rather than going in heavy-handed and hard limiting.

That version of "Wraiths" is well wicked yeah, that whole show was good too.