Guest Greg Reason

1 hour ago, cwmbrancity said:

beefy tracklist, must''''''''''''splurge''''''''''''''''nowwww'''''''''''''''''''''''

let us know how it sounds.  "newish" Coil is always better than no Coil.

The Last Rites of Spring is the ace in the release pack imho here, if the audio is a soundboard recording even more so. Heavy as fuck trawk ....if yer arsed, there's a matrix vid combining audience audio & various patched sources of this gig on Youlube, but the quality is a bit too sketchy.

Prefer the Barca version of The Universe is a Haunted House from a few years prior to this one, it purges all the bs out of you in a glorious manner & they get that reverb synth swirl level just right, possibly my favourite Coil set.

Maybe TPS has other soundboards from 2002 in the vaults, could be something v tasty indeed, only time will tell though.

Edited by cwmbrancity

2 minutes ago, Crossword Enthusiast said:

What goes on in the Coil Club......?

...Stays in the Coil Club?

I'm looking into a new forum feature called Clubs where users can create and maintain their own clubs with members, posts, etc. Just seeing as this thread is pretty active, it might be a good fit. The Football/Soccer subforum might be another candidate.

7 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

Preferably not a golf club, all those shit jumpers & dress codes, waste of land, tea times & full of masons, although Weatherall did the Rotters Golf Club

We will all have WATMM League Edwardian-style cricketeer trousers and jumpers.

I think I listened to Black Light District's A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room for the first time this week. Took me long enough – an instant winner. I also checked out Worship the Glitch, which was a bit less memorable but still interesting. I was always interested in Coil's work as a teen in the mid 90s, but hardly ever heard any of it because the CDs were expensive. So I was curious but not willing to invest, especially in the more ambient stuff as I preferred the industrial sound. I only heard things here and there, maybe some friends had some but I'm not sure, until digital music came along. 

Revisited the archival Backwards and The Ape of Naples as well. 

On 5/16/2019 at 4:17 PM, Joyrex said:

We will all have WATMM League Edwardian-style cricketeer trousers and jumpers.

spacer.png

On 5/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, sidewinder said:

I think I listened to Black Light District's A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room for the first time this week. Took me long enough – an instant winner. I also checked out Worship the Glitch, which was a bit less memorable but still interesting. I was always interested in Coil's work as a teen in the mid 90s, but hardly ever heard any of it because the CDs were expensive. So I was curious but not willing to invest, especially in the more ambient stuff as I preferred the industrial sound. I only heard things here and there, maybe some friends had some but I'm not sure, until digital music came along. 

Revisited the archival Backwards and The Ape of Naples as well. 

plough into them, Worship the Glitch is worth coming back to after a while, they virtually all are even if most releases have tracks you'll never really dig either, hit & miss

Live Five came through at last, The Last Rites of Spring is uber menacing & Hammersmith Deceivers onward is tight, vocals seem to settle into the mix after track 1, seeksoulers get your fckn shekels out

edit div come come alive

@side - if you haven't already have a nose around TPS's solo material (Lepore Extrusion!), parts of the Queen Elizabeth collabs w/Julian Cope are tremendous too, there's a track called "Eisteddfod 69" which is an acid test of any sound system's capacity imho  + Cyclobe's catalogue speaks for itself

On 4/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, cwmbrancity said:

wish the web blurb was a bit more detailed, '93-'96 was peak-era Black Light District & ELpH, so the 36£ fee is a bit steep as a lure with just a tease of info. Stapleton's involvement is a good sign, cheers for the heads up

More details:

"An official release of 150 minutes of previously unreleased material from Coil, strewn with parts that would eventually metastasise into ‘Backwards’, and ultimately ‘Black Light District’ and ‘Musick To Play In The Dark’. We hardly need to stress that ’Swanyard’ is a bounty for Coil nuts out there, but equally a fascinating listen for anyone attempting to get to grips with their unfathomable catalogue - especially DJs and listeners currently digging into the underbelly of the ‘90s.

The material was all written and recorded between 1993 to 1996 and was selected and assembled by Danny Hyde (Electric Sewer Age, ex-Coil, ex-Psychic TV, ex-Black Light District) from the studio archives. As Hyde outlines in the liner notes, these 23 tracks offer unforetold snapshots of Coil’s constant work-in-progress during an important phase of exploration. Tracks were usually seeded in Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson’s dreams, and rendered thru the prism of his myriad sample bank, with Jhon Balance pulling from his notebooks for lyrics, and Danny Hyde would aid in engineering, editing and mixing, animating their studio gremlins and mental apparitions to an almost complete form.

The ’Swanyard’ is effectively as close as you’ll get to being in their notorious studios during the pharmaceutically-fuelled peak of the ‘90s, at the point where dark ambient, electronica and dance music were mutual bedfellows, and mutated the framework for where we are today."

tracklists:

CD Tracklist:

Disc one:
1. Spastiche
2. Heaven’s 98 Horror mst
3. Wur CLK Wir 1993
4. Siminon Master Backwards (Swanyard demo)
5. Jhon’s House Tune From GM Guide – Protection
6. Spastiche (basic)
7. AYOR Master (It’s in my blood)
8. Original Amber rain (Demo)
9. Crumb Tune (Master)
10. The March of Time (Extra Version)
11. Spastiche – The Night’s Alive (Master)
12. Kusnir Jazz
13. Heavens blade (John Balance vox Demo)

Disc two
1. The Test Early mst
2. Wur CLK Wir 1998 mst vox
3. AYOR (Extra Version)
4. Elves (Master)
5. Heaven’s blade (Inst) 1993
6. March Of More Time (Master) 1993
7. Crumb Tune
8. Simon (Extra Long)
9. Melotron Song (Amber Rain Demo)
10. Egyptian basses 1993

LP Tracklist:

Side A:
1. Spastiche
2. Heaven’s 98 Horror mst
3. Siminon Master Backwards (Swanyard demo)

Side B:
1. Jhon’s House Tune From GM Guide – Protection
2. Spastiche (basic)
3. AYOR Master (It’s in my blood)
4. Original Amber rain (Demo)

Side ?
1. Wur CLK Wir 1993
2. Crumb Tune (Master)
3. The March of Time (Extra Version)
4. Spastiche – The Night’s Alive (Master)
5. Kusnir Jazz

Side ?
1. Heavens blade (John Balance vox Demo)
2. Wur CLK Wir 1998 mst vox

Side E:
1. The Test Early mst
2. AYOR (Extra Version)
3. Elves (Master)
4. Heaven’s blade (Inst) 1993
5. Melotron Song (Amber Rain Demo)

Side F:
1. March Of More Time (Master) 1993
2. Crumb Tune
3. Simon (Extra Long)
4. Egyptian basses 1993

Infinite Fog re-released Bill Laswell's Coil collab recently, so curious how good Egyptian Basses sounds, that was one track that seemed to be crying out for a fully mastered release. Spastiche is up on Sadclown:

The Universe is a Haunted House is primo Coil imho. Live Five was better than expected, but Norman fucked up with The Art of Mirrors/Jarman tribute releases. Don't want to gripe but there were pieces missing from the vinyl & cd mail-out, then the only shop reply was "oh sorry yeah they're all like that"

Prob best to phone the store n see where the recording source came from, ie: a direct soundboard, aux or a matrix combining both. Still, good to see things slowly creeping out the woodwork (edit & they're sold out lol)

Edited by cwmbrancity
witness the divness

On 5/20/2019 at 4:00 PM, Rubin Farr said:

More details:

"An official release of 150 minutes of previously unreleased material from Coil, strewn with parts that would eventually metastasise into ‘Backwards’, and ultimately ‘Black Light District’ and ‘Musick To Play In The Dark’. We hardly need to stress that ’Swanyard’ is a bounty for Coil nuts out there, but equally a fascinating listen for anyone attempting to get to grips with their unfathomable catalogue - especially DJs and listeners currently digging into the underbelly of the ‘90s.

The material was all written and recorded between 1993 to 1996 and was selected and assembled by Danny Hyde (Electric Sewer Age, ex-Coil, ex-Psychic TV, ex-Black Light District) from the studio archives. As Hyde outlines in the liner notes, these 23 tracks offer unforetold snapshots of Coil’s constant work-in-progress during an important phase of exploration. Tracks were usually seeded in Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson’s dreams, and rendered thru the prism of his myriad sample bank, with Jhon Balance pulling from his notebooks for lyrics, and Danny Hyde would aid in engineering, editing and mixing, animating their studio gremlins and mental apparitions to an almost complete form.

The ’Swanyard’ is effectively as close as you’ll get to being in their notorious studios during the pharmaceutically-fuelled peak of the ‘90s, at the point where dark ambient, electronica and dance music were mutual bedfellows, and mutated the framework for where we are today."

Pretty damn good overall, even if this version of Egyptian Basses has a shuffle/swing percussion thing going on that completely threw me. Wonder if some bits are anyway related to the abandoned post-LSD sessions from New Yawlins.

Def worth your shekels. There are chunks heard b4, but plenty of new sounds to justify the price. Vinyl pack is delicious, robustly sleeved & crisp as fk mastering. There are more coherent Coil releases, but given the paucity of lost/unreleased material, this is more than sweet.

• 4 weeks later...

The format & pressing were well worth the shekels for a mixed bag of tricks. £40+ already for a 2nd-hand (even if mint) copy will only rise further.

The Crumb Tune included was Egyptian Basses minus/plus a few differing elements & there's enough previously unheard material to warrant an inner-completist dropping hard earned monies on a cd or digi format. If the vinyl isn't available there are options, although the ritual of unpacking new records & the subsequent snap-crackle-pop off the platter never gets olde.

I bought the repress of A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room the other day and I've been throroughly enjoying it. 

I really enjoy Time Machines too.

What should I dig into next?