Guest Greg Reason

ah, well i guess the "sympathetically remastered" part makes more sense now. ive seen that sleazy interview before and i pretty much agree, but, a misguided approach and/or world view doesn't necessarily guarantee uninteresting music..

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a film screening of Hellraiser.

It was a triple feature with #s 1,2 & 3. The director of 2 and writer of 2 and 3 were there for a q&a.

The topic of the original music for #1 came up and the director of #2 was bragging about how it was his decision to "fire" Coil. This guy was a major fucking asshole. When they asked him why, he said he did it because they were wrong and he was right. He also said he scared them when he told them they would have to play along with a click track.

This guy was so arrogant, so hack-ish and so flat out wrong.

The final score is fine, but safe and typical. I think coil would have been a good fit.

That guy was such a douchebag. I wish you guys could have seen his budget, straight-to-video face, for a laugh.

Edited by jefferoo

that doesnt even make any sense. as far as im aware, barker had pressure from the studio to change certain elements in the film in exchange for a bigger budget, and out went coil and a number of other things. theres multiple interviews with sleazy and john where they address this. i dont know, that guy sounds like hes full of shit..

It was a triple feature with #s 1,2 & 3. The director of 2 and writer of 2 and 3 were there for a q&a.

The topic of the original music for #1 came up and the director of #2 was bragging about how it was his decision to "fire" Coil. This guy was a major fucking asshole. When they asked him why, he said he did it because they were wrong and he was right. He also said he scared them when he told them they would have to play along with a click track.

The final score is fine, but safe and typical. I think coil would have been a good fit.

That guy was such a douchebag. I wish you guys could have seen his budget, straight-to-video face, for a laugh.

as much as i love Coil and id probably agree with you that guy is a fucking douchebag, i really love the final score for Hellraiser, and short of Coil totally retooling the music they did for a live orchestra, i really don't think it competes with how good the final score is.

Christopher Young's rebirth cue when Frank comes through the floor in part 1 is fucking awesome. And i dont understand why the director of 2 woudl have any say on the music in part 1 that was directed by Clive Barker.

I just don't think Coil's rompler renditions of decent compositions would have been appropriate for the film, maybe if someone did a fan-edit of it and dubbed their music over i might have a change of heart (someone please do this), i just cant see it working as well as what they ended up using, and i would argue it's far from a safe and typical score. For a horror movie of the time it has a decidedly throwback Bernard Hermann style score,

Edited by Awepittance

as much as i love Coil and id probably agree with you that guy is a fucking douchebag, i really love the final score for Hellraiser, and short of Coil totally retooling the music they did for a live orchestra, i really don't think it competes with how good the final score is.

Christopher Young's rebirth cue when Frank comes through the floor in part 1 is fucking awesome. And i dont understand why the director of 2 woudl have any say on the music in part 1 that was directed by Clive Barker.

I just don't think Coil's rompler renditions of decent compositions would have been appropriate for the film, maybe if someone did a fan-edit of it and dubbed their music over i might have a change of heart, i just cant see it working as well as what they ended up using, and i would argue it's far from a safe and typical score. For a horror movie of the time it has a decidedly throwback Bernard Hermann style score,

I guess, at the time of the original, he was an executive for New World Media or whatever the production company was.

He was on set of H1 here and there and, at our screening, showed some poorly shot behind-the-scenes video he made that he claimed had never seen the light of day until last night.

It was basically Clive on set directing, bits of prop stuff, Clive in the editing room, a production meeting... nothing too exciting.

When they asked him how he got the gig of directing H2, he said he just pressured the CEO to let him do it.

For the record, I like the final score. I think it is really good and works well. It also does sound more "hollywood", which is what they wanted, and I'm sure it helped give the movie caché.

Watching it with an audience last night (especially compared to #2), I just think the movie could use something less conventional and a bit more strange and sinister in the score. They second movie was much more meh than I remember it being.

The first one is way more arty and creative. I think it could have been something special with some "bowel churning" Coil behind it.

:spiteful:

Edited by jefferoo

having Coil's score instead would have given the movie a decidedly different feel, it probably also would have gone a long way in making the movie feel more 80s as well, kind of like how quintessentially 80s the videodrome score sounds. Someone should definitely do a fan-edit of the movie with Coil's music.

It makes me wonder would the technique of isolating an acapella from a pop song work with removing score from a movie? Like could i take parts from the CD soundtrack of hellraiser and phase cancel them out of the DVD movie's final audio?

Edited by Awepittance

I thought about asking that in the Q&A.

The douchebag director of H2 said some shit about how the production company wasn't happy with the way the production of H1 was going and that he was to thank for going in and tightening up the whole operation. He also took credit for some of the best SFX sequences in the film. I call bullshit though.

If you look at HIS TRACK RECORD, the dude wouldn't know quality if it took a spicy burrito shit up his nostril.

At the end of the day though, I think it's for the best that Barker stepped away, for whatever reason.

I think Nightbreed is his best movie.

[media='']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MntiEGXQFk[/media]

Edited by jefferoo

Guest Greg Reason

Funnily enough I quite like some of the later Hellraiser movies, Inferno and Bloodline, I thought they were decent horror films.

Not a huge fan of Coil's soundtrack, definitely not their greatest work.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have any info/know of any interviews concerning coils use of the black sun symbol? read the history of the symbol on wiki but im looking for something more specific..

blacksunshirt.jpg

maybe because it looks like a sphincter lol

Edited by Z_B_Z

well er it's in the tainted love video

and they called everything from the musick to play in the dark onwards their lunar phase as opposed to their solar phase but you knew that

check out some of the interviews on brainwashed, iirc they go into more detail there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Greg Reason

Well the reworked Moon's Milk material has finally seen the light of day

I have to say this stuff is pretty mindblowing; I think it's definitely the best of all the late era material that appeared on the reissues, even better than most of Ape of Naples / Backwards material. Definitely has the Moon's Milk vibe to it but doesn't sound much like any of those tracks, maybe a touch of an Unquiet Skull vibe in one of the songs.

Definitely some well twisted stuff, and that second track is some pretty dark business! It's a real shame the Moon's Milk in Six Phases 3CD / book set never happened, would have been nice to have all of Jhonn's paintings in there but then it is lovely just to finally hear this stuff.

Guest ansgaria

I only own 'The Ape of Naples' and it is a hauntingly beautiful and disturbing piece of work, it touches me in a very special way, a way I'd say almost no other music can. It's so... Twisted.

"It seems these days the weaker ones survive.

What an awful way to find out your alive."

Wow.

Guest Greg Reason

Is that really the only Coil you own? If you want twisted, beautiful sounding strange stuff you should probably get the two Musick to Play in the Dark albums

Well the reworked Moon's Milk material has finally seen the light of day

I have to say this stuff is pretty mindblowing; I think it's definitely the best of all the late era material that appeared on the reissues, even better than most of Ape of Naples / Backwards material. Definitely has the Moon's Milk vibe to it but doesn't sound much like any of those tracks, maybe a touch of an Unquiet Skull vibe in one of the songs.

Definitely some well twisted stuff, and that second track is some pretty dark business! It's a real shame the Moon's Milk in Six Phases 3CD / book set never happened, would have been nice to have all of Jhonn's paintings in there but then it is lovely just to finally hear this stuff.

fucking nice. cant wait to hear this. will download asap.

how long did it take you to get a download link? i paid and was disappointed to find a "wait a few days to process payment" message upon completion. emailed hyde and told him the format i want... damn i was hoping to listen to this today.

I think it's definitely the best of all the late era material that appeared on the reissues, even better than most of Ape of Naples / Backwards material.

disagree with this completely, but i would say its on par with that material. fantastic to have more coil related stuff.. definitely fits the vibe of the moons milk releases.. gonna take a few more listens for it to really sink in. the last track is certainly a danny hyde solo thing, and while i like it, it seems out of place with the other three tracks. so far im liking 'moons in finalphase' the best.. what a pleasant surprise this was..

Edited by Z_B_Z

Guest Greg Reason

I agree it was not a good idea to put the solo track with the Coil material; very different vibe and doesn't gel with the Moon's Milk stuff

re: Ape / Backwards, I find a lot the Backwards material to be quite half-baked, not really worthy of release. 'I Don't Get It' is definitely worthwhile, and two or three of the others, but the rest don't really do it for me at all.

Ape is better, and has some great stuff on it but not much that is as transcendant as this material. 'Going Up', 'Triple Sun', 'Amber Rain', 'A Cold Cell' for sure, but I think the thing is it's all quite songey whereas this drifts and swirls. I think it just comes down to my personal preference for the ambient side of Coil

oh man there are some gems on 'the new backwards.' specifically 'careful what you wish for' and 'princess margaret's man in The d'jamalfna.' i see 'copacaballa' and 'backwards' as up there with the best of coils 'song' output. some great tracks on ape as well. 'fire of the mind' and 'the last amethyst deciever' i see as essential coil, among others on that album. very heavy album tho, difficult to listen to.. i suppose in the end it does indeed come down to which 'mode' of coil you prefer..