Guest Greg Reason

yeah thats addressed a few posts up. good stuff. and yeah, graphic design is not one of danny hydes specialties at all. almost falls into the 'so bad its good' category. luckily the man is pretty brilliant when it comes to manipulating sound.

speaking of music from beyond the grave, anyone know when/if ivan pavlov is going to get to releasing the as yet unreleased soisong stuff? im sure its pretty mindlblowing. the myspace is still active. saw this posted the other day-

Today it's a year since Sleazy's departure, and I've been browsing through the mail archives, feeling rather nostalgic.. Back in 2007 when we had already recorded some material together and have been planning the band's premiere in Tokyo, we had an extensive [and, at times, extremely amusing!] mail conversation about the name to choose. Sleazy's original suggestion was a reference to the infamous Silom Soi 2: NEW SOI2/The Soi Two/SOI 2/etc.. Here's the final decision with all the earlier discussed references collected in one message. I hope this brings a smile to you too.

//soijin02

-------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: band name

Date: 2007-11-15 04:34

To: ivan ..

I like SoiSong too - For the musical reference of course, and maybe it seems more special and more like a band name - I wonder if Japanese can pronounce it (Important!)? Also I suppose it was obvious to you about SOI also being the initials for Sleazy Or Ivan (Sleazy On Ivan? ,-)

Maybe SOISONG then - I will try some more graphics.

lov

s

On 12 Nov 2007, at 19:10, ivan wrote:

> I was thinking a lot about the NEW SOI2 and for a Western ear I believe

> we're reading too much into the Thai references. I bet few have a clue as

> to what Silom Soi 2 is.. so SOI2 would probably be good enough for the

> non-Thai audience (how seriously are we counting on the Thai audience?)

>

> How do you feel about SOISONG? Spelling both "S"s as 2, naturally?

> (see the image - I am assuming "song" is "two" in Thai).

>

> there's "OI" from COIL

> there's "SON" which is "COH" properly pronounced

> there's SONG

> there's 2012

> there's SOI 2

> and the syllables are quite symmetrical.

> it's somewhat ambiguous -between being apparently asian, french (as would

> be with SOISON!) and english (due to SONG).

> what else can we wish for?! :)

>

> ..

Edited by Z_B_Z

Guest Greg Reason

oh man there are some gems on 'the new backwards.' specifically 'careful what you wish for' and 'princess margaret's man in The d'jamalfna.' i see 'copacaballa' and 'backwards' as up there with the best of coils 'song' output. some great tracks on ape as well. 'fire of the mind' and 'the last amethyst deciever' i see as essential coil, among others on that album. very heavy album tho, difficult to listen to.. i suppose in the end it does indeed come down to which 'mode' of coil you prefer..

Really? I think the song 'Backwards' is downright fucking atrocious

Guest RadarJammer

Did anyone who would check unklesleazy.tv last year rip the stream for "one night in bangkok"? I hope it still exists. The guy who now has control of sleazy's hard drives says he will try and see about that.

edit: it was related to this archived post http://www.threshold...azy-detained-2/

Edited by RadarJammer

Guest Greg Reason

Yes I have that video, it's pretty funny.

It's a shame we only got a few examples of that tv show sort of thing he was going to get happening, it has a strange comedic bent to it.

Guest RadarJammer

Yes I have that video, it's pretty funny.

It's a shame we only got a few examples of that tv show sort of thing he was going to get happening, it has a strange comedic bent to it.

Would you youtube or mediafire it?

oh man there are some gems on 'the new backwards.' specifically 'careful what you wish for' and 'princess margaret's man in The d'jamalfna.' i see 'copacaballa' and 'backwards' as up there with the best of coils 'song' output. some great tracks on ape as well. 'fire of the mind' and 'the last amethyst deciever' i see as essential coil, among others on that album. very heavy album tho, difficult to listen to.. i suppose in the end it does indeed come down to which 'mode' of coil you prefer..

Really? I think the song 'Backwards' is downright fucking atrocious

youre kidding me, "atrocious"? surely youre being melodramatic. i dont think of it as being a big departure from the coil 'song' blueprint. definitely digging the filters hes using on it..

come to think of it, im hard pressed to think of anything that coil did that i consider atrocious. sure they have some sub par material, but all of it is at the very least has some interesting elements.

Edited by Z_B_Z

i was seriously thinking about attempting to fix the audio in that video, or at least subtitle portions. you cant hear what hes saying at all a lot of the time.

Guest RadarJammer

and another:

What a bitter sweet and beautiful video. Damn it! His intended video series was bound to have been one of the coolest art series to ever see the light of day.

• 3 months later...

I'm discovering The New Backwards and it's an incredible album. Very Autechre-ish. I mean, some Autechre is quite Coil-ish and that album is a pertinent example.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I have been listening to music for a long time now, always overturning stones and looking underneath and seeing what I might find. Well about 15 minutes ago I typed Coil into youtube as the name popped into my head just by random and I first played this track and my jaw dropped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjhGXjSK4Ik

then my jaw dropped again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdatfUEW94&feature=related

I can't believe what I just heard, this is brilliant. How did this pass me by? Well it doesn't matter any more, I am just glad I finally got to this place.

Edited by beerwolf

I feel extremely pleased for you, Coil is definitely one of my favourite bands / artists. It has a depth that very few music have.

Also, The Ape Of Naples (from which are the two tracks you posted) is IMO a very good place to start.

Have a good time

• 2 months later...

i've got Moon's Milk (in Four Phases) & Moons Milk (In Four Phases) Bonus Disc. It's really difficult 2 access, very experimental and very dark ambient... Already, the ambient is not my cup of tea and then it's too special 4 me... U tempted me 2 listen again them, 2 see what it gives...