Guest Greg Reason

Rumour has it that this has to do with Jon Whitney of Brainwashed, who's about as close to an official archive-keeper as there is. The 'nothing is official' is clearly a dig against tps, bootleggers, etc.

Soleilmoon is only selling this release, Threshold Archives is releasing it.

seems kind of weird they wouldn't be more transparent about that on the 'press release' for this (if you could even call it that). Im ok with no marketing money being spent on promoting these, but just slapping them up on the site with no art? super half-assed to say the least. Eager of course to hear any of the previously unreleased material

people are already confused (4 hours and i guess no one thought an answer to this question was necessary)

tOcULuK.png

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Forced Exposure is selling a shitload of bootlegs, namely this one is upsetting me, as it's my favorite COIL release, I have the original CD for it. Anyone know what the sound quality is? Are these from Russia? Where is Threshold Archives based and who is running it? Is that the mystery question?

http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalog/TARCH.008CD.html

man what a clusterfuck. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that Jon Whitney doesn't have much support in this endeavor, not just because of the questionable ownernship of the rights but because of his ego for the past few years. As soon as Sasha Gray started liking coil and promoting Brainwashed.com it got even worse.

Yeah this is piracy of the first order. They're basically just doing CD-Rs of the entire COIL back catalog. Someone needs to stop this crap, except they're all dead. A sad legacy for a brilliant group.

http://www.forcedexposure.com/Labels/THRESHOLD.ARCHIVES.UK.html

https://www.soleilmoon.com/?post_type=product&s=coil&post_type=product

"As with the Coil patches already being sold by Soleilmoon, the band’s portion of profits is being donated to Sleazy’s favorite charity Baan Gerda in Thailand"

Where is Threshold Archives based and who is running it? Is that the mystery question?

Brainwashed. Not sure when this page was published, but it's recent and I assume it is a response to Soleilmoon's decision to call off the sale.

http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html

My intention at this point was remove Brainwashed from the name and launch Threshold Archives by finishing the project Peter and I began, with the hopes of turning over control for beautiful, fully remastered stunning LPs of the "proper" releases at some point in the future.

Operating a record label is not my full-time job and I do not want it to be. I hereby state that profits will be shared with all band members involved, even those who are opposed to these CDs being released, as well as surviving family.

The quick, swift release of these items are an effort to head-off bootleg practices, which continue to run rampant worldwide.

Where is Threshold Archives based and who is running it? Is that the mystery question?

Brainwashed. Not sure when this page was published, but it's recent and I assume it is a response to Soleilmoon's decision to call off the sale.

http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html

My intention at this point was remove Brainwashed from the name and launch Threshold Archives by finishing the project Peter and I began, with the hopes of turning over control for beautiful, fully remastered stunning LPs of the "proper" releases at some point in the future.

Operating a record label is not my full-time job and I do not want it to be. I hereby state that profits will be shared with all band members involved, even those who are opposed to these CDs being released, as well as surviving family.

The quick, swift release of these items are an effort to head-off bootleg practices, which continue to run rampant worldwide.

Complete with a letter from Sleazy. Good enough for me.

The rereleases don't look to be very good in terms of artwork quality, etc., though

So "beautiful, fully remastered" is bullshit then?

the cds are compilations of single/ep tracks and unreleased demos and tracks.

they are supposedly remastered from original dats, digital video tapes, and cassettes. a lot of the original sources for the artwork were apparently lost.

here's a link to the tracklistings:

http://www.discogs.com/label/910477-Threshold-Archives

and cover art:

http://thresholdarchives.tumblr.com/post/129947499507

it does seem like these are cd-only which is lame, zero reason to buy physical if there isn't even special packaging/booklets/etc

definitely interested in picking up Wrong Eye, the Snow and Windowpane

the one I'm holding out for the most though is the unreleased stuff from Black Light District / Worship the Glitch, which if i remember correctly Whitney said he had at least one entire LP worth of unreleased material from both those sessions. I hope im not conjuring a false memory, because for me thats the golden age of Coil. Loves Secret Domain/Stolen and Contaminated comes next of course

by "digital video tapes" you mean D-VHS?

betamax...in the early 80s there was a sony system which allowed you to record stereo digital audio to the tapes, and they were used for final masters in studios. timecode on the tapes would allow for digital "stems" to be put on different tapes and combined/edited in a studio later. this would be their earliest stuff...scatology etc

the one I'm holding out for the most though is the unreleased stuff from Black Light District / Worship the Glitch, which if i remember correctly Whitney said he had at least one entire LP worth of unreleased material from both those sessions. I hope im not conjuring a false memory, because for me thats the golden age of Coil. Loves Secret Domain/Stolen and Contaminated comes next of course

would love to hear that if it exists for sure.

I received all 8 in the mail yesterday, and so far, so fantastic. I listened to The Wheel, The Anal Staircase, and The Snow discs. The sound quality is excellent-- it's so nice to have CD-quality versions of tracks I've only ever had on vinyl-- and the bonus material is almost overwhelming in its scope and quality. The Horse Rotorvator demos alone would have been worth the $80 to me, but there is just so much to process.

Coil is probably the most important thing to me when it comes to music, if I really am honest with myself. I have been a collector since 1994, and have maybe 99% of the official releases, and believe me, these CDs are important and worth it.

I received all 8 in the mail yesterday, and so far, so fantastic. I listened to The Wheel, The Anal Staircase, and The Snow discs. The sound quality is excellent-- it's so nice to have CD-quality versions of tracks I've only ever had on vinyl-- and the bonus material is almost overwhelming in its scope and quality. The Horse Rotorvator demos alone would have been worth the $80 to me, but there is just so much to process.

Coil is probably the most important thing to me when it comes to music, if I really am honest with myself. I have been a collector since 1994, and have maybe 99% of the official releases, and believe me, these CDs are important and worth it.

Thanks, that is all I wanted to know!!

glad to hear it doesn't seem to be a botch job like the previous coil remasters.

• 2 weeks later...