Guest Greg Reason

i lied, another goof

After laughably being told I" would Never Work in Hollywood Again"

sleazy told me in an email that the wife of a prominent studio head gave him an ultimatum: either continue to work in hollywood or play with coil at their first live show (or something to that effect) i guess he chose the latter.

i believe he wrote something like "i had to suppress the urge to laugh in her face"

never post after smoking an ungodly amount of pot

Edited by Z_B_Z

never beating a dead thread, as someone who's only recently discovered how awesome coil are i'm always happy to see a bump.

favourite coil albums?

for me:

love's secret domain

time machines

musick to play in the dark vol. 2

the remote viewer

my favorites would probably be-

loves secret domain

musick to play in the dark pt 1

live four

black antlers

the remote viewer

the new backwards

all their drone stuff is pretty great too

as far as sleazys work away from coil, his soisong and threshold houseboys choir stuff is just as essential imho.

I'm continually surprised that a lot of Coil's work in between Loves Secret Domain and Musik is never mentioned in many 'top' coil lists.

my favorites:

Black Light District: 1,000 Lights in a darkened room

Worship the Glitch

Stolen and Contaminated Songs (people maybe overlook this since it's classified as b-sides and different versions, for the most part its in my mind a sequel to Loves Secret Domain, just as captivating)

Loves Secret Domain

Unnatural History 1, 2, 3

edit: forgot this gem: How To Destroy Angels (Remixes And Re-Recordings)

for me it's the less vocals the better, the instrumental stuff is pure pleasure for me and some of the most influential music in my life. I think they reached a tipping point sometime around Musik where fans of theirs would pretty much love anything they put out and i personally think they got a little bit lazy quality wise albeit putting out stuff more frequently than any other time in their career.

edit2: what surprises me the most about what i mentioned int he first part of my post, is that watmm started as an idm forum yet the most IDM period of COil's career seems to not be a favorite in these parts. IDm that in some ways pulled out the rug from under Aphex and AE, Coil was doing a lot of that stuff before them

Edited by Awepittance

i dont know, i think they went out during a fertile creative period. i think playing live kind of re energized them in some ways..

and aside from worship the glitch and black light district, there really wasnt a whole lot of new material being done between lsd and the musick series.. i like the collections and remixes tho

Edited by Z_B_Z

I'm continually surprised that a lot of Coil's work in between Loves Secret Domain and Musik is never mentioned in many 'top' coil lists.

my favorites:

Black Light District: 1,000 Lights in a darkened room

Worship the Glitch

Stolen and Contaminated Songs (people maybe overlook this since it's classified as b-sides and different versions, for the most part its in my mind a sequel to Loves Secret Domain, just as captivating)

Loves Secret Domain

Unnatural History 1, 2, 3

edit: forgot this gem: How To Destroy Angels (Remixes And Re-Recordings)

I'm completely with you on all of this. That's actually my upload of Inkling on an older account of mine. Well good.

cool! and on a side note, fuck you Trent Reznor for ripping off a Coil album title for you to show off your wife vanity project and making it impossible for me to find youtube clips of the the Coil remix album

Edited by Awepittance

Guest Greg Reason

favourites:

Black Antlers

Astral Disaster

The Remote Viewer

Musick to Play in the Dark 2

Moon's Milk bonus disk

Moon's Milk

The Ape of Naples

So hard to say "favourite" though because they're all so different

...and the Ambulance Died in His Arms is highly underrated, IMO. Some of my favorite Coil songs are on that album.

Then again, it has quite a lot of Balance singing, which seems to be an acquired taste.

Yeah it's absolutely incredible, and wretchedly dark at times. Easily the best Coil live album, followed closely by Megalithomania.

id put the reworked astral disaster on my list too. that version of 'the sea priestess' is brilliant

'..ambulance' is a bit uneven for me, but the tracks 'snow falls into military temples' and 'a slip in the marylebone road' are up there with some of the best of coils output.

Edited by Z_B_Z

Guest Greg Reason

Those two are completely chilling, '...Marylebone Road" is particularly unnerving and can be really difficult to listen to. Balance is compelling to listen to on this.

The extended version of "Triple Suns" is fucking excellent too, I'm especially glad to have it seeing as the version on The Ape of Naples is so damn short.

unlike, it would seem, a lot of people, i love me some coil with jhonn's vocals. interested in suggestions for a compilation of spoken word stuff, actually.

so far i have batwings (fucking *kills me*, every time - is that peter on the higher-pitched vocals? regardless, it just demolishes me), are you shivering?, the gimp/sometimes from 'selvaggina' (scares the shit out of me), 'the sea priestess' from astral disaster... maybe 'further back and faster' - 'the left hand hates... love/the right hand loves...hate'.

such an incredibly rewarding band. the more i hear the more i want to hear.

edit: perhaps 'a slip in the marylebone road' too.

Edited by kaini

Guest MastaN8

I don't know about you guys but I love sleazys post balance stuff the threshold houseboys amulet album and soisongs stuff is tits as well.

'are you still shivering" creates an incredible mood. the stuttering vocal edits, the main synth, the incredibly visual nature of the spoken word. amazing track.

batwings is incredible as well. perfect ending and begining

I don't know about you guys but I love sleazys post balance stuff the threshold houseboys amulet album and soisongs stuff is tits as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i7kT5irWDs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the amulet edition is really good

Edited by Z_B_Z

'are you still shivering" creates an incredible mood. the stuttering vocal edits, the main synth, the incredibly visual nature of the spoken word. amazing track.

it's rare that i agree with a quote on last fm, but...

this track does not evoke drugs. this track is drugs

have to agree.

Guest Greg Reason

unlike, it would seem, a lot of people, i love me some coil with jhonn's vocals. interested in suggestions for a compilation of spoken word stuff, actually.

so far i have batwings (fucking *kills me*, every time - is that peter on the higher-pitched vocals? regardless, it just demolishes me), are you shivering?, the gimp/sometimes from 'selvaggina' (scares the shit out of me), 'the sea priestess' from astral disaster... maybe 'further back and faster' - 'the left hand hates... love/the right hand loves...hate'.

such an incredibly rewarding band. the more i hear the more i want to hear.

edit: perhaps 'a slip in the marylebone road' too.

I love Jhonn's vocals. I admit it took me a long time to get into it; at first I was sorta like "when is this guy going to stop talking so I can enjoy the whack-ass music playing behind him" but the more I listened the more I felt for and from him, until he became utterly integral to how Coil works for me.

And thinking about it, Coil is and was Balance's project. Sleazy was undoubtedly a genius and had his own incredible things to bring to the table but Coil existed before he was a part of it, at the start it was Balance solo and then working with John Gosling. Sleaz never made any attempt to pretend it was anything other than Balance's vision that drove Coil onwards, even when the shit was really hitting the fan in 03.

is queens of the circulating library any good? a sleazy-free album is an interesting concept.

It's quite wonderful, Thighps did really well with the music for this. Thick, rich drone to bliss out to.

I like pretty much everything Sleaz has ever done, although that second solo track "All Possible Numbers" was not up to his usual standard and I don't rate PTV very highly... SoiSong and THBC are fucking incredible though.

And thinking about it, Coil is and was Balance's project. Sleazy was undoubtedly a genius and had his own incredible things to bring to the table but Coil existed before he was a part of it, at the start it was Balance solo and then working with John Gosling. Sleaz never made any attempt to pretend it was anything other than Balance's vision that drove Coil onwards, even when the shit was really hitting the fan in 03.

this is very true, i think people tend to over emphasize Sleazy's role in the band, i remember when Jhon used to interact with people on the Coil list he would often get frustrated at fans assuming that Sleazy made the majority of the music. It actually gave me greater appreciation for my favorite mostly vocal-less era of Coil, not because Jhon wasn't involved but actually the opposite, he made a lot of that music by himself and he would proudly express this. There were a few instances (id have to go back to the mailing list archives) where Jhon explicity said things like 'nope i made this track entirely on my own' (an instrumental track) to the list's surprise. This is partly why i don't really count anything Ape of Naples or later a true Coil work, Ape of Naples especially is weird to listen to because Balance's vocals are on almost every song but his creative touch and sonic input is missing.

and take my balance vocals comments with a grain of salt, i dont like music with vocals overall. There is very few music in my collection that i listen to regularly that has discernible lyrics, lyrics for me are a distraction from enjoying the sounds in music. my brain starts paying too much attention to the words and it grounds me more in reality, and ultimately makes it less transcendent for me. Some of Coils stuff from 1989-1998 is the most transcendent music ever made

Edited by Awepittance

as i understand it, balance would come up with an idea, or suggestion, and sleazy and another member would actualize it. not to say that he didnt have a direct hand in things, but generally this is how it went. or at least thats how it seemed to be portrayed in 'englands hidden reverse.'