IGNORED

Caffeine Thread

chassis

Caffeine.png

Its certainly my most common drug, nearly everyday. Usually in the form of coffee. Next in line is alcohol of course :happy:

I'm a fairly massive coffee drinker and at the moment i feeling its starting to get out of hand a bit. So I'm looking for someone to recommend a decent decaf coffee. I need to be able to brew it with a cafetiere. Does it taste as good as normal coffee or is it different?

Is anyone else a caffeine addict?

cafetiere.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm immune to the effects of caffeine.

Wut? :mellow:

Explain....

Edit: Wait, arent you the one who does like MDMA and LSD and stuff at the same time. I dont think you notice the effect of being hit by car either.

It does nothing for me , i can drink 3 cups and coffee (or one of those 90% caffeine energy drink) and still fall asleep/never get "the caffeine boost".

P.S - I do drink Iced Coffee once in a while (tasty)

Edit: Wait, arent you the one who does like MDMA and LSD and stuff at the same time. I dont think you notice the effect of being hit by car either.

Yep and LOL

1 or 2 cups a day.

You might not feel the effects of it, but it's still terrible for your body in large doses. Coke is terrible, unless there are large quantities of rye mixed in with it.

Guest Mirezzi

1 or 2 cups a day.

Yeah, I'm a 1 or 2 cups a day guy, too...

Coke is terrible, unless there are large quantities of rye mixed in with it.

mmmmm, Manhattans....

my mother works at a big coffee-store in town, so I can get real good blends and special sorts of coffee for free. i'm a big coffee addict, without it, my day is fuckt.

What so unusual about mixing these kind of drugs?

i need to cut down. i drink 2 venti americanos a day. thats 8 shots of espresso total. often with a few standard cups of coffee alongside.

the most noticeable effect it has is what it does to your shits

Guest Drahken

Caffeine doesn't do much for me either. I love a nice warm cup of coffee before bed. I've never really thought about the effects of caffeine in a long time though, its certainly not a factor in what I drink. I just love the taste of coffee and find it deeply satisfying.

It does nothing for me , i can drink 3 cups and coffee (or one of those 90% caffeine energy drink) and still fall asleep/never get "the caffeine boost".

P.S - I do drink Iced Coffee once in a while (tasty)

Yep and LOL

I'm the same, I can fall asleep after few cups of coffee. That said, I can still feel the effects.

I am, quite obviously.

Here is what I use:

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

I lol'd at American coffee. Adding hot water to a drink already made from water.

So, is it any good? I tend not to trust advertising. Do you need to buy replacement filters for it?

Im still waiting for decaf recommendations.

Guest Mirezzi

I lol'd at American coffee. Adding hot water to a drink already made from water.

So, is it any good? I tend not to trust advertising. Do you need to buy replacement filters for it?

It's fucking brilliant. I lol'd at the American coffee part, too.

Basically, it's using all the same physics of an expensive espresso machine but it's uhhhh manual. I love americanos and I love really strong coffee so I love that I can tailer a single drink to my exact preferences and it has the crema and bite I associate with coffee bar drinks.

You do have to buy replacement filters but it's like $5 for a 200 of them or some shit.

used to be ..then realized the huge amount of anxiety i was experiencing every day was mostly due to soft drinks. switched to tea and i feel much, much better. it actually does relax you via theanine.. http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2001/oct2001_cover_theanine_01.html

tea lesson over.

i need to switch over to tea for this reason

It's fucking brilliant. I lol'd at the American coffee part, too.

Basically, it's using all the same physics of an expensive espresso machine but it's uhhhh manual. I love americanos and I love really strong coffee so I love that I can tailer a single drink to my exact preferences and it has the crema and bite I associate with coffee bar drinks.

You do have to buy replacement filters but it's like $5 for a 200 of them or some shit.

That sounds pretty cool. I like really strong coffee too so I generally end up using a shit load of coffee to make 1 strong cup. I would say the vacuum is awesome for getting the most outta your beans.

I'd be more worried about the mental effects of caffeine. Even if heart problems run in my family.

Loss of attention span, headaches etc etc....

Guest Mirezzi

I'd be careful with energy drinks because they can wreak havoc on your stomach and digestive system.

One of the popular diets among anorexic Hollywood types / models is....get this....Red Bull and Milk of Magnesia. Then they eat cliff bars and call themselves "vegan."

I used to dig energy drinks but every time I drink them, the acids chew the fuck out of my mouth and literally make my cheeks sore.

Guest mafted

used to be ..then realized the huge amount of anxiety i was experiencing every day was mostly due to soft drinks. switched to tea and i feel much, much better. it actually does relax you via theanine.. http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2001/oct2001_cover_theanine_01.html

tea lesson over.

i need to switch over to tea for this reason

yea man i recommend it. i was expecting this huge surge of caffeine withdrawal with headaches and stuff but there was hardly any transition. i still drink one from time to time, which is good if you need a lot of energy for about an hour, but then the crash comes. that is another good thing about the caffeine in tea, no crash and it's subtle enough to drink by the gallon. plus, no teeth rotting chemicals and calories.. yep.

I drink coffee regularly... my only problem with it, about which I know, ...is that I often drink it around 22:00 and later (through the week - when I wake up early in the morning next day)

...maybe that´s the reason why I get these weird dreams sometimes..like the most recent one which was about a visit from Richard D. James who I walk through gardens with, watched some tv stuff with(which I remember to completely translate for him), through which(later in the second half of the dream) I was putting away pieces of glass from under my skin. One piece got out and another one appeared... Whole time, Mr.Richard was commenting it...

Guest Sprigg

I too, am a struggling caffeine addict - I'm hooked on energy drinks like Rockstar and Full Throttle (drink FT for the taste, but Rockstar seems to have more caffeine).

The best non-soda energy drink I have found are the Function brand of drinks, specifically this one:

http://www.functiondrinks.com/ (damn Flash site; go under the "drinks + science" tab and choose Alternative Energy)

That shit WORKS - I read on the label that it lasts for 6-8 hours, and boy, did it - drank it at 2PM, didn't feel tired (actually forced myself to go to bed) at around 3-4AM.

I'd like to hear xxx's educated thoughts on energy drinks and any harmful effects they may have. My wife always gets on me for drinking them, especially since that case in the Netherlands or Sweden where some guy got a hole in his heart from drinking Red Bull (ugh, nasty shit) too much.

What???

when i was working as a carpenter and i had to get up early everyday i would drink so much coffe, like 6 cups,

nowadays it effects me pretty strongly so i only drink one cup of earl gray tea in the morning

Guest Ramses

I really enjoy coffee. It's one of my vices along with herbage. A cup or two a day is certainly nice. I used to be into red bull in my WoW days.. pretty lame. I enjoy one of those on a hot day when I'm lookin' to get pumped up though. I think it's important to consider that all of these new synthetic energy drinks and shots' effects have not been observed over the course of a lifetime. It seems that a kid who starts drinking chemical cocktails and continues for the rest of his life could face medical problems we haven't seen yet. I'm only speculating but I'd like to hear a bit more about this guy who "got a hole in his heart" from red bull.

Archived