IGNORED

Caffeine Thread

chassis

Starting to see why the Aeropress is used a lot by taste testers. Can pick up the moment the beans start to go shite quite a bit earlier than I ever noticed with French press.

RIP bag of beans, hardly knew ye

I generally buy a 300g bag of beans and go through that in a week, maybe 10 days. That seems to be about the limit before the beans go off.

Yeah, I might have just had a crappy bag, but this one lost some of its mojo on the 5th day and had some stale notes on the 6th. One bag isn't sufficient data, of course, but the aeropress does highlight some of the delicate notes that seem to die fast. At least with the standard brewing technique; the internets appears to be rife with alternate methods with longer extraction times.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Espresso isn't too common, I don't think?

It's usually used in latte's or whatever but I don't see it drank as a standalone drink, basically ever. I can't say I've ever seen anyone, not even once, order just an espresso.

I did once a few years back when I didn't know shit about 'fancy' coffees. I asked for one, and the barista was kind of confused, "that's it, just an espresso?" So I should've known something was wrong.

I got a tiny shot in a full sized cup and slowly sipped it for 10 minutes, like an idiot. Learned my lesson at least.

Sent using magic space waves

Was it tasty, at least?

I have a green tea every morning (5am) 7 days a week, with a teaspoon of honey, I don't really like the taste, I drink it because its supposed to be good for you, as I'm still in living dead mode the nauseous taste doesn't bother me much.

Monday to Friday at approx. 6am and 6.50am I follow up with 2 cups of ' British builders tea' which is a tea bag brewed with freshly boiled water and a generous splash of full cream milk. No sugar, but each cup served with a ginger biscuit. No more caffeine for me after that.

Saturday and Sunday the green tea mission continues but the 2 British Builders Tea's are replaced with a very strong large cup of milky coffee. Served with one milk chocolate hobnob.

Ooooh yeah

Seriously? People order espresso all the time. Because it is good.

Espresso isn't too common, I don't think?

It's usually used in latte's or whatever but I don't see it drank as a standalone drink, basically ever. I can't say I've ever seen anyone, not even once, order just an espresso.

I did once a few years back when I didn't know shit about 'fancy' coffees. I asked for one, and the barista was kind of confused, "that's it, just an espresso?" So I should've known something was wrong.

I got a tiny shot in a full sized cup and slowly sipped it for 10 minutes, like an idiot. Learned my lesson at least.

Sent using magic space waves

Was it tasty, at least?

Meh. The flavor works okay in a drink (I get stuff with espresso in it and love it) but alone, I don't think I could ever warm up to it. Way too bitter, harsh, and strong. And this coming from someone who often enjoys coffee black.

Seriously? People order espresso all the time. Because it is good.

Depends where you are, I guess.

I've never seen or heard anyone order one here.

Yeah I think it may be common in some places (perhaps they give it some better flavorings/better quality coffees taste better, who knows...) but I'm in a relatively small city, so it's just likely not a 'thing' around here for many.

Safer how?

You know when you boil veg you lose antioxidants to the water and porous (like courgette) or small (like petit pois) lose more? A porous veg like courgette loses antioxidants when you griddle it dry, why? Because the moisture isn't retained.. where does it go? It evaporates. You grind coffee, so that process occurs the instant boiling hot water makes contact with it, so you either want to minimise steam by using lower temperature water, or ideally use a percolator because the steam rises through it and cools as it drips though and there's a lid on it (the stove should be turned down or off as soon as the espresso begins to come through).

btw espresso tastes good

You should never pour boiling hot water over coffee. Goddamn heathens. ;)

I use a french press, sometimes do a pour over if I just want one cup, got a nice little hario kettle from Japan. Buy beans from a local roaster (cheap and I love one of their medium roasts). Grind them up coarse for the press, finer for the pour over. If water in the kettle boils, let it settle for 40 seconds before pouring onto grounds.

Percolaters are great, very simple, but that is one of the supposed hipster issues - is that boiling water is going over the grounds. Still, have a beat up old fashioned one that is great for camping.

nah the steam goes through the coffee,not boiling..never mind science shiz, you can straight up taste it does only good

That's not how a percolator works.

"The name is derived from the word "percolate" which means to cause (a solvent) to pass through a permeable substance especially for extracting a soluble constituent.[3] In the case of coffee-brewing the solvent is water, the permeable substance is the coffee grounds, and the soluble constituents are the chemical compounds that give coffee its color, taste, aroma, and stimulating properties."

Anyways, like I said, I have an old beat up one for camping, it does a great job. There's something even more refreshing about having fresh coffee in the morning when camping.

What? I know how a percolator works. Why are you telling me that? It doesn't burn coffee at all because it rises before it reaches that temperature. It doesn't overcook it because it doesn't stew at all. You don't need thermometers and stuff, it's just designed to do it correctly.

The steam doesn't go through the coffee, the steam pressurizes the boiling water to go up through the spout where it then splashes over the grounds. And if you leave a percolater on the heat source for too long, you will get some bitter as shit coffee. From wiki: "Percolators often expose the grounds to higher temperatures than other brewing methods, and may recirculate already brewed coffee through the beans. As a result, coffee brewed with a percolator is susceptible to over-extraction."

Made that mistake more than once camping - making coffee and then getting distracted by a nice wake'n'bake is not a good idea - if you want good coffee that is.

I'm not dissing your preferred brewing method, just pointing out some of the possible pitfalls. Same how the french press and/or pour overs have their own pitfalls.

Um it appears there's two types of percolator. I don't mean that kind... I mean 'mocha pot' type which does exactly what i'm saying,no splashing on the grind,and you turn off the heat as soon as the water rises. You're referring to the kind that has the water return to the heating chamber as coffee... which is just a bit weird and actually just filter coffee which isn't what I'm talking about.

watch that

http://youtu.be/fRdCic2f7PI?t=4m8s

see how the coffee is in the chamber above, away from the heat? you can also just turn off the heat anyway. there are no pitfalls. it's a perfect invention and has been used for a very long time. i've had one since i was 11 years old. :P

It's still passing boiling water through the grounds:

from the wiki on mokas again:

"The moka pot is a stove-top or electric coffee maker that produces coffee by passing boiling water pressurized by steam through ground coffee."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot#Brewing_coffee_with_a_moka_pot

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...I'm not sure how you think coffee is going to be produced without passing really fucking hot water through the grounds?

and historical fact (which I just learned myself) - the percolator was invented between 1810-1814!

It rises through at just the right temperature. Watch the videos. You do it at a low heat and then turn heat down or preferably off. It makes perfect coffee, the temperature is just right but needs to be done with some consideration.

i'm still concerned that there are coffeeshops that prang out if you order an espresso. it's the quintessential coffee that almost everything else is made from.

then i suppose it's like going to a burger join and ordering a hamburger.

i'm still concerned that there are coffeeshops that prang out if you order an espresso. it's the quintessential coffee that almost everything else is made from.

the starbucks thang (ie all those coffee options that are in italian,but you'd have to explain what they are to italians) came about as a way to make coffee more palatable for americans -- load it up with fat and syrups. you can't taste coffee in a tall latte. i'm not making that up, they said that themselves. plus the whole upsell thing, it's what makes them money. you can order a cheap short flat white at starbucks but it's not on the menu. the staff probably know full well that espresso is a normal drink but they make absolutely no money on it--maybe giving too much credit dunno

the starbucks thang (ie all those coffee options that are in italian,but you'd have to explain what they are to italians) came about as a way to make coffee more palatable for americans -- load it up with fat and syrups. you can't taste coffee in a tall latte. i'm not making that up, they said that themselves. plus the whole upsell thing, it's what makes them money. you can order a cheap short flat white at starbucks but it's not on the menu. the staff probably know full well that espresso is a normal drink but they make absolutely no money on it--maybe giving too much credit dunno

They've just finally allowed the flat white to be ordered here, pre-last friday it was unavailable for order (off menu or otherwise).

I tried one saturday and it was fucking great, excuse my language. It was actually really nice. Not full of sugar, very strong (4 shots of espresso standard), etc. Only drink I'll ever buy from starbucks for now on.

About the espresso being financially unviable thing, I'm in a Costa and they now cost almost 3X what they did before the coffee holocaust.

Enjoying a super sugar massive latte right now cos I needed it, while it's more like a hot milkshake with added caffeine.

in some parts of italy, the barista will shoot you( or at least roll-eyes ), if you order something "milky" after high-noon.

Kind of similar but I only put cream or sugar in my morning coffee, everything after that I drink black?

in some parts of italy, the barista will shoot you( or at least roll-eyes ), if you order something "milky" after high-noon.

And if you want to insult the cook, just order a cappuccino after dinner :D

I ordered a coffee at Starbucks today. "What size?" -"small" yeah right it was fucking half a litre. Not very tasty either.

most days start with a cup of coffee that takes about as much to make as it takes to roll a joint and open ableton. ive been at this for a couple of years now and lately i sometimes feel like having a second cup if i smoke too much and get lazy but i almost never do because i feel like 2 cups a day is a bit much

Archived