IGNORED

Bytes-era pseudonyms

Guest fox

Guest sirch

Most of the promotion, interviews and posts are by Martin.

yeah, true, unfortunately. :P

i wish Ken Downie would still run their forum tho and be "grand spokesman" more.

i've read why he doesn't want to do it anymore tho. but it's suffered and shows as a result.

there's no quirkiness or fun over there anymore, imho. Martin seems like quite a 'straight' guy.

whereas as Ken's personality was way more bendy and interesting, haha.

a kalaidoscope of interest and intrigue it was :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sirch

so since we've veered into a ken downie discussion with some references to early plaid - is my age old assumption that ken is at fault for killing the 3xCD trainer way back when on point? until that stuff (parasight/BDP EP) gets reissued i'm going to hold him responsible unless i find out it was some dope at GPR or something.

i don't think it was anything to do with anybody at GPR...... those releases were on Rising High Records.

i do remember reading Ken not being happy with the whole Trainer thing tho, that's why Plaid had to limit it to only their own stuffs. i think..

but this was 10 year back, mind.. :)

Guest Greg Reason

Most of the promotion, interviews and posts are by Martin.

yeah, true, unfortunately. :P

i wish Ken Downie would still run their forum tho and be "grand spokesman" more.

i've read why he doesn't want to do it anymore tho. but it's suffered and shows as a result.

there's no quirkiness or fun over there anymore, imho. Martin seems like quite a 'straight' guy.

whereas as Ken's personality was way more bendy and interesting, haha.

a kalaidoscope of interest and intrigue it was :)

I dunno. Doesn't really bother me, I just like the music. The rest of it is unimportant.

Guest sirch

The rest of it is unimportant.

hmmm that's a matter of opinion. :)

the BBS was a big part of ye olde Black Dog.. and a very 'cool' part in ye good olde days, imho.

it was part and parcel of what they did.. but that's gone now.. i guess progress is what it's called.

but like with each new technology that comes out, it's not necessarily better everytime..........imho

so since we've veered into a ken downie discussion with some references to early plaid - is my age old assumption that ken is at fault for killing the 3xCD trainer way back when on point? until that stuff (parasight/BDP EP) gets reissued i'm going to hold him responsible unless i find out it was some dope at GPR or something.

i don't think it was anything to do with anybody at GPR...... those releases were on Rising High Records.

i do remember reading Ken not being happy with the whole Trainer thing tho, that's why Plaid had to limit it to only their own stuffs. i think..

but this was 10 year back, mind.. :)

no, hell no, the Plaid guys said straight out that they couldn't put out the Rising High material because no one from the label could be reached to get any clearance for it, that's all - and as a result we got two unreleased tracks: score!

...and then there would really be no reason for Ken to put a nix on the Rising High stuff anyway because the Parasight EP is a Handley thing and the Black Dog Productions EP (of which the title of nor the artwork was chosen by the artists, but by the label in order to capitalize on The Black Dog name) was a Handley/Turner project.

...i mean unless he was just upset w/ the Black Dog Productions name being used.

Guest boredroom

...and then there would really be no reason for Ken to put a nix on the Rising High stuff anyway because the Parasight EP is a Handley thing and the Black Dog Productions EP (of which the title of nor the artwork was chosen by the artists, but by the label in order to capitalize on The Black Dog name) was a Handley/Turner project.

...i mean unless he was just upset w/ the Black Dog Productions name being used.

I was led to believe it was something to do with the death of Casper Pound which would I guess tie in with yout suggestion that no one could give the right from Rising High side :( :) hmmm

Guest sirch

i dunno, but i remember something like, 'oh it's easy to put out old back cat. and cash in,

rather than coming up with new ideas and making new music, fuckers, grrrrrrrrrrr, etc. etc,' :)

then, like 6/7 years later, tBd pretty much do the same thing and reissue all the rare old EP's on Soma, lol..

and 'The Book of Dogma'..

it's a funny old (wibbly wobbly) world. :)

so what was the plaid/black dog break up really about? i always assumed it was basically ken's personality clashing with e&a. and i remember something about how the plaid guys had to rebuild their studio from the ground up 'cause somehow ken ended up with all the equipment. i may be in the minority here, but as far as i'm concerned plaid came out the better on the deal . . .

Guest sirch

i've said enough my friend.. i don't want to become any sort of spokesman here.. so i'm gonna leave it to somebody else to answer your Q.

i've said what i felt SHOULD be said, tho.. at the time.

there is a divide between the old and the new, for sure. new fans of tBd don't really know or get the whole picture,

and the current BD capitalise on that (you know you do). it was pure 'business' to keep tBd name, just like it's

business to keep new fans in the dark, as much as possible, innit?

new fans probably don't care tho.. but the older fans know what's what.. and i suppose that's all that really matters at the end of the day,

is, we know :)

Peace, Love, ....and Ecstasy :P

Guest ruiagnelo

i've said enough my friend.. i don't want to become any sort of spokesman here.. so i'm gonna leave it to somebody else to answer your Q.

i've said what i felt SHOULD be said, tho.. at the time.

there is a divide between the old and the new, for sure. new fans of tBd don't really know or get the whole picture,

and the current BD capitalise on that (you know you do). it was pure 'business' to keep tBd name, just like it's

business to keep new fans in the dark, as much as possible, innit?

new fans probably don't care tho.. but the older fans know what's what.. and i suppose that's all that really matters at the end of the day,

is, we know :)

Peace, Love, ....and Ecstasy :P

So The Black Dog, at some point was merely a name to be kept? I am confused now.

Guest sirch

if you sell 40,000 odd rekkids per year as a band and people have come to know that band name, then.. it would make sense to keep it going as long as possible, right? however unfair it might be to band memebers wwho created the band with you, who had left.... it would make business sense, because people would know the name, and think, oh! it's new tBd. buy it.

starting out again afresh is way riskier, hence the title of Plaids' 1st album after Spanners, .. and the amount of effort they put into it.

it's better than Spanners, imho, by far.

Guest ruiagnelo

if you sell 40,000 odd rekkids per year as a band and people have come to know that band name, then.. it would make sense to keep it going as long as possible, right? however unfair it might be to band memebers wwho created the band with you, who had left.... it would make business sense, because people would know the name, and think, oh! it's new tBd. buy it.

so plaid were the ones who really got bad with the separation. but i still don't get why trainer ended being just 2cd set.

starting out again afresh is way riskier, hence the title of Plaids' 1st album after Spanners, .. and the amount of effort they put into it.

it's better than Spanners, imho, by far.

I always had a feeling about the title making a reference about the original trio. "Not for 333's "

Guest ruiagnelo

Now i wonder what was actually the reason for the separation. I am trying to solve the puzzle here.

Plaid has been always there from the begining, i mean, Bytes already had a few tracks written by them, so plaid always existed. Then they all break up and ken gets the inheritance, The Black Dog. So i sorta guess Plaid always wanted to make their own thing. I don't know. Just thinking about possibilities.

so plaid were the ones who really got bad with the separation. but i still don't get why trainer ended being just 2cd set.

from what i gathered at the time and from this thread, the 3xcd trainer was 86'd because nobody at rising high (who owned/owns the rights to the Parasight and Black Dog Productions EPs) returned any of warps calls, so they removed those tracks and added two bonus unreleased tracks

I always had a feeling about the title making a reference about the original trio. "Not for 333's "

"Not for threes" is also a British euphemism for Dead On Arrival, like most, if not all, of Plaid's album titles it's an intentional double meaning. (Rest Proof Clockwork implies a machine with perpetual motion but is also an Engrish mistranslation of "Rust Proof Clockwork" they found on a toy)

Guest ruiagnelo

from what i gathered at the time and from this thread, the 3xcd trainer was 86'd because nobody at rising high (who owned/owns the rights to the Parasight and Black Dog Productions EPs) returned any of warps calls, so they removed those tracks and added two bonus unreleased tracks

"Not for threes" is also a British euphemism for Dead On Arrival, like most, if not all, of Plaid's album titles it's an intentional double meaning. (Rest Proof Clockwork implies a machine with perpetual motion but is also an Engrish mistranslation of "Rust Proof Clockwork" they found on a toy)

So we would have 3xcd trainer if warp had returned a simple call??

Guest sirch

so plaid were the ones who really got bad with the separation.

I don't think they got it too bad but they sure took a big risk at first. but it worked out fine in the end :)

from what i understand the title meant, one last shot, we'll try again, much harder, but if it goes pear shaped, then fuck it. :)

Boredroom will answer the rest of your Q's.. won't you mate , lol please...... :)

Guest ruiagnelo

so plaid were the ones who really got bad with the separation.

I don't think they got it too bad but they sure took a big risk at first. but it worked out fine in the end :)

from what i understand the title meant, one last shot, we'll try again, much harder, but if it goes pear shaped, then fuck it. :)

Boredroom will answer the rest of your Q's.. won't you mate , lol please...... :)

What are the other known double meanings on Plaid's titles you know of? I never really investigated that much, but i am too curious.

other way round. rising high couldn't answer the call. when warp first announced the album, they publicized the 3xcd track listing. there were even promos that went out. then they had to back track when they couldn't license the two eps

Guest sirch

"Not for threes" is also a British euphemism for Dead On Arrival,

yeah, meaning, not to be resuscitated in the event of death.

meaning, this is our last attempt, our hard work again, and if you don't like it or there's no place for us now, then fine.... we'll go, honerably..

but there was a BIG place still :)

Guest ruiagnelo

other way round. rising high couldn't answer the call. when warp first announced the album, they publicized the 3xcd track listing. there were even promos that went out. then they had to back track when they couldn't license the two eps

Yes, thats it. I made quite a mess in my last reply.

What are the other known double meanings on Plaid's titles you know of? I never really investigated that much, but i am too curious.

double figure had to do with the "duality of the ear" or somesuch. a double figure is also a two digit number. P-Brane is a play on Pea Brain and the string theory concept of the P-Brane. Trainer is a sneaker, a place where someone trains and implies that this is where they got their training. Dial P is obviously Plaid backwards, but it also makes sense forwards as well.

Oh, and the original title of the track "To" from Greedy Baby was "Bacco". Get it. ToBacco. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Guest sirch

Double figure would make sense in that it was 10 years since their first release as Plaid.

the duality of the ear stuff was... i think, and with respect, 'mysteriousness' to sell the record :)

" a mystery remains a mystery no matter how much is known about it "

Double figure would make sense in that it was 10 years since their first release as Plaid.

the duality of the ear stuff was... i think, and with respect, 'mysteriousness' to sell the record :)

oh yeah, iirc they seemed sorta only half-interested in talking about that angle themselves. 10th release, perhaps? a reference to the two of them? dunno.

Archived