IGNORED

ISIS 1997-2010

Guest Greg Reason

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least they're finishing the tour and, apparently, releasing an EP. I wonder if it's from the collaboration they had going with Tim Hecker. I was really looking forward to hearing that.

Guest Greg Reason

Fuck, Isis and Tim Hecker would own :spiteful:

I know they are definitely releasing a split EP with Melvins to coincide with this tour.

aww. at least wavering radiant was amazing. and i got to see them live twice so it's not so bad!

looking forward to future projects though, aaron turner seems to have a lot going on.

actually, wavering radiant is such a perfect album, i don't think any band would be able to top that, imo.

Guest Greg Reason

I love Wavering Radiant but I still think Panopticon is their greatest moment.

Seen them four times, each was incredible and it hurts me to think I'll never witness that again. But yes, they have FUCKLOADS of side projects so no doubt they'll be busy either way. It just sucks that the chances of them touring Australia on their own are slim as Isis is probably the biggest thing any of them will be attached to. I dearly hope they prove me wrong on that though!!

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Oceanic was definitely my favorite album of there career then Panopticon

ive seen em twice, the show at the gorge with tool was underwhelming but I saw em at like 1000 peeps max club here after panopticon omgz they played for almost 3 hours it was teh shecks

Guest Fishtank

I hope I can see them...

Excellent quote here too

I wish more bands would realize this

We've seen too many bands push past the point of a dignified death and we all promised one another early on in the life of the band that we would do our best to ensure ISIS would never fall victim to that syndrome.

Fuck, I misinterpreted from the thread title that Isan were breaking up.

Isis is playing at Bonnaroo this year.

Are they worth seeing if you're not really into metal?

Guest Greg Reason

Yes, yes they are. They're insanely good live, even at festivals.

And to quote a friend of mine that missed seeing them the first time they came out, "yes, everyone has been raving about Isis, even people who aren't known for their love of metal"

god fuckin damn, i could have seen them at least 3 times, but never went for some reason or another... fuck :(

ps. oceanic ftw!!!

Oceanic is definitely my favorite. The music itself, the rhythmic structure and the relatively uniform tonal/timbrel palette, fits the theme and oceanic imagery so well without being on the nose about it (except for maybe Maritime, but that can slide.) That sort of high concept should come off as pure cheese, but they execute it perfectly and it's just beautiful. It's semi-representational without losing a certain abstract, mysterious quality. The first time I heard a track from that album (I think it was 'Hym') I was reminded of being out in my dad's fishing boat at the start of a severe storm in New England (I've done that a few too many times)-- and that's before I even knew who the band was or what the album was titled. It's just great.

Oceanic is definitely my favorite. The music itself, the rhythmic structure and the relatively uniform tonal/timbrel palette, fits the theme and oceanic imagery so well without being on the nose about it (except for maybe Maritime, but that can slide.) That sort of high concept should come off as pure cheese, but they execute it perfectly and it's just beautiful. It's semi-representational without losing a certain abstract, mysterious quality. The first time I heard a track from that album (I think it was 'Hym') I was reminded of being out in my dad's fishing boat at the start of a severe storm in New England (I've done that a few too many times)-- and that's before I even knew who the band was or what the album was titled. It's just great.

i can agree with this. while oceanic is where i started with them around 2003 or so, it will remain my favorite album. i followed them very closely from then on and i found every release of theirs to be better and better.

panopticon was similar in style to oceanic but was opened up much more and felt really big. like a wide angle lens of the oceanic style. in the absence definitely showed a bit of hanging out with tool a lot with the big builds and crescendos but it was a darker side of them that i really enjoyed. i think wavering radiant sounds so mature and may be their best release as a band, so i am a bit surprised at this. especially considering they all have many various side projects. i am not sure why they couldnt take a bunch of time to make this decision.

making another isis album in 2013 wouldn't have been that difficult would it? i guess so. i am extremely disappointed though, i love these guys a ton. hopefully they keep releasing some live stuff and hopefully the final ep is lengthy and strong.

• 2 weeks later...

They do have a few more gongs coming out at least

“…we have some live recordings coming out and a final EP. The EP has two songs we recorded for Wavering Radiant but didn’t make it onto the record plus a couple of ambient pieces from the live show will make it on there and an acoustic version of a song from Wavering Radiant. There’s also a DVD, which should surface in a year or so of a performance in Australia and that’ll have extra stuff on it.”

Guest Greg Reason

They do have a few more gongs coming out at least

“…we have some live recordings coming out and a final EP. The EP has two songs we recorded for Wavering Radiant but didn’t make it onto the record plus a couple of ambient pieces from the live show will make it on there and an acoustic version of a song from Wavering Radiant. There’s also a DVD, which should surface in a year or so of a performance in Australia and that’ll have extra stuff on it.”

Hmm a live show from Australia? I wonder if it was once that I saw... That last gig at the Hi-Fi was absolutely too incredible for words so hopefully that's the one!!

that's pretty great, their other dvd has a performance from australia as well. it'd be excellent if it was the melbourne performance, since i didn't get to see that, i was at faith no more! i did get to see them the next day at soundwave, but they only played 4 songs from wavering radiant.

that's pretty great, their other dvd has a performance from australia as well. it'd be excellent if it was the melbourne performance, since i didn't get to see that, i was at faith no more! i did get to see them the next day at soundwave, but they only played 4 songs from wavering radiant.

id assume it would be a more recent show with recent material.

i like that clearing the eye dvd, i just wish it was better quality in a lot of the stuff. then again it is old footage and im glad they put some celestial songs out there....

Guest Greg Reason

We have lost one of the greatest acts in "metal".

don't get me wrong, i love isis, but that statement is fucking idiotic.

:facepalm:

• 1 month later...

Archived