IGNORED

Orbus Terrarum

dr lopez

Best orb album evar?

I mean holy crap every cut on this just absolutely kills! When I hit Plateau I always think "Well this track is LX and Co's crown jewel," but then Slug Dub happens and I get confused again. Everything is so densely layered, planned, and atmospheric. No one really makes music like this anymore, not even the Orb themselves. Doesn't have the same emotional weight to me as Adventures, but Terrarum is Orb at their creative zenith!

Thoughts, WATMM hoi palloi?

Guest margaret thatcher

the best electronic album ever.

plateau took 3 years to make, and it still wasn't properly finished when it was released.

It's a shame the full version of Slug Dub didn't make it to the CD version of the album (well the version I bought anyway), it seems to end so abruptly that way ....

But yeah it's a darn good'un !

Best orb album evar?

No doubt! Although the 1st track on Pomme Fritz is on the same level for me. Rest of that album's pretty meh though..

It's a shame the full version of Slug Dub didn't make it to the CD version of the album (well the version I bought anyway), it seems to end so abruptly that way ....

Odd, I don't remember my CD ending abruptly.. how long is your Slug Dub track?

Also, I have the 2x12" promo vinyl of Orbus Terrarum :shuriken:

The cover is pretty bland - just a white sleeve w/ a sticker, but it's the music that counts, innit!

Odd, I don't remember my CD ending abruptly.. how long is your Slug Dub track?

Mine is 15:49, though it looks like the US version and the vinyl version is 17:03. Perhaps they thought us English sorts would get offended by the bird eating up the slugs (that entire bit has been removed)

I was about to buy the remastered version of the album but notice the version of the track is also 15:49 long...

Guest tht tne

this was my first orb album and it's still my favorite, quite a nice surprise to buy it blindly based on the cover

Orblivion was also good but not the same, not as deep and stonerfied more upbeat

That was the first orb album I got and I bought it mainly because of Toxygene. I remember using it as the soundtrack to Quake back in the day on my uber jerky 486 DX4 100, though I have no idea why as the two didn't really fit, ah to be young !

Absolutely one of my favorite electronic albums ever, possibly my favorite. About once or twice a year I put it on and get obsessed with it all over again. Years later I'm still hearing new things in it from time to time.

(funny how i didn't get it at all when it first came out)

-edit- Yeah.. it's just the layers.. they go on and on and on.. and I just love the shifting rhythms, the sounds. This album just doesn't really seem to date IMO, it just gets better

Edited by TwiddleBot

everyone is right in this thread.

it really just gets better with time. doesn't sound dated like the albums before it do, it's just like this music beamed itself from some bizarre region of the planet.

It's hard to find words for how great Plateau is. a true magnum opus. One of the few tracks where I enjoy the album version than the live ones (just a bit more)

also montagne d'or from 8:12 on when the frantic drums tear in is one of my favorite moments. The entire album builds perfectly up to that point.

Guest Apeofnaples

I was initially disappointed with this album when it came out. I was so hungry for new Orb material that it just wasn't enough for me. Valley and Plateau had already been released on the Live 92 album, and slug dub annoyed the shit out of me. The album has aged very well though, Montagne D'or (Der Gute Berg) is an absolute classic, one of their best imo.

I dunno why, but this one kind of never hit home for me like Live 93, UF Orb or Adventures....still grand listening though.

and i don't think their earlier stuff sounds dated really at all....

It's really annoying that when I listen to later Orb albums I can't enjoy them as they're just not Adventures/UFOrb/Orbus. Terrarum is such a ridiculously deep album, a couple of slightly FSOL-ish moments in the middle aside I can't compare it to anything else I've heard. I'm never sure whether I prefer this or Adventures, both very different albums I suppose.

Plateau and Valley, what a way to open an album. Alex, please do long interesting tracks again please.

Have you checked out Orbsessions vol.2 Ross? There's a few old skool ambienty moments on there I think you'd like, 'Shem' and 'Shem versions' in particular are quite FSOL-esque.

also montagne d'or from 8:12 on when the frantic drums tear in is one of my favorite moments. The entire album builds perfectly up to that point.

Agreed.

Yeah, Terrarum is definitely one of my favourite Orb albums. I'm not a huge fan, but I get times when I do wanna listen to them. And the full length Blue Room is brilliant too.

Have you checked out Orbsessions vol.2 Ross? There's a few old skool ambienty moments on there I think you'd like, 'Shem' and 'Shem versions' in particular are quite FSOL-esque.

Haven't heard either of them yet. Or Pommez Fritz, somehow. One day I shall.

ONE DAY SOON.

No, I don't have a fucking job.

IMO Vol.2 is much better than Vol.1, it's much more coherent as an album. However Vol.1 does include some quite nice old archive tracks

I've never really got Pomme Fritz, I know it got slated on release and I can kinda see why as it seems to meander all over the shop from start to end. Although I do enjoy the stupidity of the last track....