IGNORED

Orbus Terrarum

dr lopez

Baghdad Batteries is the Orb working in certain restraints... A concept album(like all the Orbsessions) working in the colder/minimal/techno worlds...

The regular full Orb releases are open to a fuller experimentation...

Er? Orbsessions 1 and 2 were comprised of older/archived material. And Okie Dokie, a 'full Orb release', is more of a colder/minimal/techno release than anything else they've done, surely?

Guest enxyme

Best orb album evar?

I mean holy crap every cut on this just absolutely kills! When I hit Plateau I always think "Well this track is LX and Co's crown jewel," but then Slug Dub happens and I get confused again. Everything is so densely layered, planned, and atmospheric. No one really makes music like this anymore, not even the Orb themselves. Doesn't have the same emotional weight to me as Adventures, but Terrarum is Orb at their creative zenith!

Thoughts, WATMM hoi palloi?

Exactly what I'm thinking... The Orb doing what has made them great... And what makes them The Orb...

Dense and elaborate to the highest degree...

Guest enxyme

Baghdad Batteries is the Orb working in certain restraints... A concept album(like all the Orbsessions) working in the colder/minimal/techno worlds...

The regular full Orb releases are open to a fuller experimentation...

Er? Orbsessions 1 and 2 were comprised of older/archived material. And Okie Dokie, a 'full Orb release', is more of a colder/minimal/techno release than anything else they've done, surely?

True... Okie Dokie was cold and minimal because it was on Kompakt and that's their sound... Orbsessions 3 is very similar and it wouldn't suprise me if it's not the stuff that didn't make it on to Okie Dokie...

What i'm saying is it's obvious the Orbsessions stuff is sub-par compared to their major releases... But still damn good...

Guest enxyme

minimal maybe - but cold? i don't think so - warm and fuzzy more like it .. :rhubear2:

Wanted... New Thermometer for sir Troon... :cisfor:

Orbsessions 3 is perhaps colder than Okie Dokie... Very similar to Thomas Fehlmann's solo stuff on Kompakt as well...

The Orb, lol....

My dad has had a standing subscription to Entertainment Weekly since the late 80s and in 1992, an issue ended with a piece called "Let's Trance" and basically detailed the rave explosion in the UK and the subsequent "slowing down and intellectulization" of dance music in the form The Orb and others (strange that I don't recall Aphex--still under the radar in '92 and not signed to Island or FFRR :ok: )

i don't think Aphex hit big until '93, but he was on FFRR w/ the Power-Pill single. maybe i don't understand what you're saying.

I've got one gripe: the buttfucking miserably loud, final "snap" of what sounds like support steel cables at the end of "Montagne D'Or (Der Gute Berg)" :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

LOL, oh yes. it doesn't bother me, but i could hear it while i was only a third through your sentence. hehehe.

Now joining in and listening. I am liking this a lot so far. The Orb have never disappointed me too too much and so far this is kicking major ass.

I've got one gripe: the buttfucking miserably loud, final "snap" of what sounds like support steel cables at the end of "Montagne D'Or (Der Gute Berg)" :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Reminds me of Zube Tubes :}

31mNP%2By6O3L._SS500_.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest Hanratty

Best orb album evar?

I mean holy crap every cut on this just absolutely kills! When I hit Plateau I always think "Well this track is LX and Co's crown jewel," but then Slug Dub happens and I get confused again. Everything is so densely layered, planned, and atmospheric. No one really makes music like this anymore, not even the Orb themselves. Doesn't have the same emotional weight to me as Adventures, but Terrarum is Orb at their creative zenith!

Thoughts, WATMM hoi palloi?

Exactly what I'm thinking... The Orb doing what has made them great... And what makes them The Orb...

Dense and elaborate to the highest degree...

I've been re-obsessed with this album lately. "Valley" is the track that I often overlooked and is creeping up on me as being better than I had previously thought.

How can I hear live shows from the orbus terrarum tour? I've heard they were amazing at that time. I saw them once on the Orblivion tour and it was incredible, but they didn't play anything from orbus terrarum.

Guest Hanratty

http://liveorb.wikispaces.com/

that's the place to look

I also have a mix he made of his best of live orbus moments - not sure if i'm allowed to share it though

yeah, i had read that thread about the best of live Orb but was unable to d/l it. Well, if you'd share it I would listen to it and like it. If not I will attempt to wade through the liveorb.com files.

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve always really liked this album, it`s interesting with a lot going on. It stands out and I reckon it`s aged well. Prefer it to UFOrb[but Blue Room is their best track]but I don`t reckon it`s quite as good as the classic and massive Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld.

• 3 years later...

Did anyone else contribute to Kris Weston KichStart project? I only got to listen to the tracks over the weekend, they are KNOCKOUT. ‘Wall’ is undoubtedly one of the single best things I have heard in one hundred years, it is like ‘Wounded Galaxies...’ but not wounded, just a little whiskey sad or something, tracks are of a quality one seldom comes across... I’d HIGHLY recommend. Anyone?

https://krisweston.com/processing/

https://krisweston.com/audio/

I need to listen to this again... I remember hearing this and SAW II around the same time... mind blown.

Still my favorite Orb album, it puts me in a trance as soon as soon as I hear the first few sounds

The first two tracks can transform the atmosphere of a room completely, and then things just get crazy after that, it's a true psychedelic masterpiece

Heard it playing in a tiny record store when it first came out, asked what it was and bought immediately when I saw the cover

DIdn't listen to much electronic music at that time, this launched me into an electronic addiction for life as it lead me to buy ICBYD a month later when it came out, what an amazing summer of music that year

I need to listen to this again... I remember hearing this and SAW II around the same time... mind blown.

"Still my favorite Orb album, it puts me in a trance as soon as soon as I hear the first few sounds"

so many of those moments on this album, my vote for they're best as well

a few years later my mind blew open to realize a ton of the samples are from recordings of jim jones sermons lol

the awesome people chanting noises too

this album, tri repetae, and saw II were my soundtrack at night when they came out i was 18 and just moved out of my parents place

i used to play tomb raider on sega saturn and the camera would just be slowly panning around some cave while autechre played and i got stoned

Edited by jamesanderson