IGNORED

Drukqs

bubbhasdance

Guest theSun

drukqs is absolutely rdj's best produced album. intricate and rigorous are 2 adjectives that come to mind

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hammah

Drukqs is just mindblowing.

Easily my favourite Aphex album.

All of the really fast-paced experimental tracks in this album are just so detailed and so thought through, it's crazy.

And what really makes me love it is those certan and very special parts in every track.

Like for example, at the end of omgyjya switch7 when it just flips the fuck out, but still remaining a beat.

01:21 in mt. saint michel mix+st. michaels mount when the beat slows down and gets really heavy with the bass.

From 03:57 in taking control when the "mouth sounds" come in. Sort of a tchk tchk tchk and then sort of a panting, which always reminds me of a dog panting. I just love that beat.

And the panio pieces are also excellent. Simple, but galant.

nanou2 is the best closing track for an album ever, and one of the most beautiful piano pieces I've yet to hear.

the way the more accessible melodies are interspersed throughout the heavier electronic tracks on this album is awesome. they start off strong with vordhosbn and immediately start appearing less frequently and becoming more alien until the finale. when they appear it's usually in small doses. omgyjya and mt saint michel both have short melodic interludes around the 3 minute mark. by 54 cymru beats the only thing in the way of a melody is that silly 303 line that ends up exploding into lazer beams. meltphace 6 lets the melodic content of the song carry it for the first half or so. taking control is almost entirely concerned with percussion. afx237's has some extremely alien sounding melodies while still retaining some strange and unique sense of harmony. then we get to ziggomatic v17. this song ends with the most richly complex, melodically rewarding, and dense arrangement of tonal sounds to be found on the album. the way the various sounds play off of each other during that final sequence is fucking sublime. thank you for your attention, bye.

the way the more accessible melodies are interspersed throughout the heavier electronic tracks on this album is awesome. they start off strong with vordhosbn and immediately start appearing less frequently and becoming more alien until the finale. when they appear it's usually in small doses. omgyjya and mt saint michel both have short melodic interludes around the 3 minute mark. by 54 cymru beats the only thing in the way of a melody is that silly 303 line that ends up exploding into lazer beams. meltphace 6 lets the melodic content of the song carry it for the first half or so. taking control is almost entirely concerned with percussion. afx237's has some extremely alien sounding melodies while still retaining some strange and unique sense of harmony. then we get to ziggomatic v17. this song ends with the most richly complex, melodically rewarding, and dense arrangement of tonal sounds to be found on the album. the way the various sounds play off of each other during that final sequence is fucking sublime. thank you for your attention, bye.

midi recieved

*nod*

It's weird, although at the time, it sounded weirdly "dated", now, it doesn't particularly dated at all. In fact, if anything, it seems weirdly presient and ahead of its time, listening to Flying Lotus and Ikonika and this weird IDM bubble there seems to be at the moment.

I remember when Drukqs came out i was pretty much an AFX noob, people were saying that drukqs sounded like tracks from the HAB era, i didn't know at the time what HAB was but drukqs sounded amazing to me. now i know what HAB is and i have no idea why people were comparing them. to me Drukqs was new, i didn't know there was such i thing called drill'n'bass, now I do, but to me drukqs was never about fuckd up drill beats but amazing and detailed compositions.

you can tell afx is proud of what he did here, since he's kept exploring the melodic themes developted on drukqs.

Guest bigs

while i prefer the softer, chilled out tracks and the prepared piano/organ/whatever else tracks, the entire album is just :emotawesomepm9:

favorite would have to be orban eq trx4 + avril 14th + meltphace 6 (probably the most mindblowing) + kladvbung micshk into one supertrack or something. plus all the others. the whole album. yeah.

Guest Masonic Boom

I like 'im better when he's doing "here, Mr. Snares, let me show you how THAT is done..." bits than when he's doing his snoozesome Satie rips...

(OK, with the exception of Kesson Dalef because that is straight up gorgeousity. Why does everyone jizz on Avril 14, when this is the real heartbreaker of the album?)

I love Taking Control. There's just something so playful and childlike about it. I just have these images of, like, 6 year old Richard circuit bending his speak n spell in the family room while his mum makes tea. These little slices of imagined family life...

Wait, are there threads like this for the other albums? Ooh, I better go dig some of them up. Whipee!

Guest Calx Sherbet

(OK, with the exception of Kesson Dalef because that is straight up gorgeousity. Why does everyone jizz on Avril 14, when this is the real heartbreaker of the album?)

Kesson Daslef is a very sad track

Kesson Daslef is a very sad track

Yep , is one of those "Walking through the misty forest , thinking about suicide" kind of tracks.

Petiatil Cx Htdui is a very poignant, sad piano track I think.

I love the climactic part of Omgyjya Switch 7 that sounds like 100 disassembled cyborgs spazzing.

today i was brushing my teeth & remembered the melody on bbydhyonchord. went to my room, and played the track twice before leaving. yeah, true story. anyway, it made me remember an interview i read years ago, where richard says how he loves melodies that can bring different, mixed-up, emotions (in the sense that you can't exactly say what you're feeling). like this one. also, is funny how the percussion is so... funky! it's a perfect blend really. well idm, i guess.

i take drukqs (no pun intended) more like a collection of tracks rather than an album, although this might me controversial.

i take drukqs (no pun intended) more like a collection of tracks rather than an album, although this might me controversial.

I don't think that's controversial; it's how Richard himself explained the huge disparity in album lengths between RDJA (I have ADD and get bored after a half hour) and drukqs (people will just throw it all on their player of choice and select what they want to hear).

I find myself listening to drukqs a lot these days; and I pretty much didn't go near it for a few years. I have no real insight as to why it seems to fit me more these days.

Guest Lube Saibot

Hey! I want to suck his dick

OK, I confess. Just like that song coz it's about his Cock*. :pedobear:

And with these words, Masonic Boom gracelessly belly flops back onto the WATMM attention whore circuit. Well done, love. Well done.

Archived