IGNORED

Drukqs

bubbhasdance

Drukqs is an achievement like no other. There is no adjective powerful enough to convey it's excellence, especially in the context of AFX's catalog. Since everything is superb, what do you call Drukqs then? Superb doesn't quite begin to suffice. It flows perfectly (i have no idea where the people saying it's a rushed hodge-podge due to his mp3player being stolen or that the piano tracks are "tacked on" get this perception from, to me every track successfully introduces the next through subtle cues and motifs throughout its full length), it is his most consistent album (production values, emotion color, etc) and it is ultimately his most seminal album.

SOFA KING TRUE. Drukqs is my favorite album of all time. When reviews said this album sounded "dated" upon its release, I was dumbfounded. That criticism just did not compute. Also, as you said, saying that this album was just a mish-mash of unreleased tracks is total shit. It cannot be any more obvious that some serious thought went into this album. It's funny though, how almost 10 years later, it's proven to hold up better than just about any electronic music out there, and some of the techniques used are still a mystery. I dunno. I'm not feeling terribly articulate atm, but the point is this: Drukqs ftw forever.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lube Saibot

it's proven to hold up better than just about any electronic music out there, and some of the techniques used are still a mystery. I dunno. I'm not feeling terribly articulate atm, but the point is this: Drukqs ftw forever.

QFT. i still have no idea what the fuck happens at the end of 54 cymru beats. some know-it-all friend went a while ago "oh timestretch innit". I'd pay hard cash to find out what "timestretch" that is.

Also: HE DID IT ALL IN 2000. ON SOME SHIT MAC. *mindwipe*

Guest Lube Saibot

I'm not ripping on Macs or anything, just saying, you didn't have much of a processor or RAM in those days. You'd be bouncing shit down continually and resampling and honestly in these coddling days of quadcores and PDC that kind of workflow just seems BRUTAL. And to make something so completely EFFORTLESSLY GRACIOUS in sound in that way is a double achievement. The software was definitely against him back then, but Richy tamed it somehow.

Effortlessly gracious is a great way to describe Drukqs, actually. Especially the drill tracks. Like a Queen's English recitation of Il Principe spoken by a ninja in mid-air while dodging bullets. There's this pervasive superhuman element.

He did it all on the Reason 1.0 beta pre-release durr.

heh :p

on a vaguely related note, The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails has a lot of beta Reason in there

Guest victorian sewer rituals

By a quadrillion miles his best work. All time classic of the world (UNFUCKINGREAL). Listening to it is both inspiring and disheartening. Too bad he has since devolved into eternal-acid land.

By a quadrillion miles his best work. All time classic of the world (UNFUCKINGREAL). Listening to it is both inspiring and disheartening. Too bad he has since devolved into eternal-acid land.

st louis eh?

lol, 'it was made on a mac'

luke + sneaksta fuck off u tools

:emotawesomepm9:

what is awesome about druqks is that it seems like the music wrote it by itself... it's a musical expression that could happen only at that time, in that form coming through that person exactly. it stands, in inspiration and quality, at the same level of the best j.s.bach works

I was kinda disappointed not to find druqks listen in the best albums of the 00's lists. it should be in the best "10 albums of all time" list, imho.

Guest Masonic Boom

The low placement isn't surprising given its terrible critical evaluation. (If ever there was an album in need of a critical reevaluation...)

Also it's one of those albums that (I, at least) tend to associate as a coda to the 90s rather than an 00s album. (That said, that goes double for Kid A which inexplicably certainly topped enough 00s album lists.)

Archived