IGNORED

Record Shops in NYC

Guest uptown devil

Guest uptown devil

I'm heading to NYC this weekend for the cvj/signaldrift show and was hoping to hit up some record shops during the day that have decent electronic music selections. format doesn't matter too much, i like it all. i'm staying in manhatten, but will have my car. any recommendations?

suggestions for bars with good beer (like Spuyten Duyvil) and art galleries (like Cinders) would be appreciated as well.

Guest maantecaaa!!!

I'm not really a vinyl buyer, but the selection and staff at Halcyon in DUMBO are pretty great.

Yeah, Halcyon may be the last stronghold of electronic vinyl in NYC.

Go to Williamsburg (Brooklyn) and check out Academy LPs.

Other places (for records in general):

Other Music (Greenwich Village, Manhattan)

Academy LPs in the East Village

Sound Fix in Williamsburg

Earwax in Williamsburg

Permanent Records in Greenpoint (Brooklyn)

The Thing in Greenpoint (check out the basement)

Tropicalia in Furs (Easy Village)

Good Records (East Village)

There are more. I believe there's also a thread on this somewhere, if you do a search.

Does anyone know if Satellite is gone for good?

Jefferoo has listed every store I'd mention and more (Now I'm curious about Earwax, Tropicalia in Furs and Good Records)—and as I recall, is Halcyon the record shop with a weird little rock garden thing and mod chairs in the middle of the store? Still haven't really looked into the store but seemed like a good selection.

The only other contribution I can make is to say Rebel Rebel is a terrible music store. Aside from the vinyl carelessly being strewn across the small storespace into disorganized boxes, the store is retardedly expensive. I'm just curious whether it happened after everybody positively reviewed it on Yelp or something—the prices there were honestly shocking. I was shocked.

Guest uptown devil

awesome, thanks for the recommendations. last time i was in the city i checked out Ear wax and Academy (it might have been called Academy Annex, not Academy LP's though) without too much luck. I've been meaning to check out The Thing, but it looks like you'd need about three weeks to do any damage. Is it as unorganized as it looks from the pictures?

Halcyon and Other Music look awesome, definitely will be checking those out.

has anyone ever checked out Earcandy in Missoula, or Atomic Records in Milwaukee?

(it might have been called Academy Annex, not Academy LP's though) without too much luck.

academy annex is what the brooklyn store is referred to, academy records in manhattan isn't as vinyl-centric. you'd have better luck at academy annex in bk, but it's largely used stuff, which might not be as promising with electronic music.

I've been meaning to check out The Thing, but it looks like you'd need about three weeks to do any damage. Is it as unorganized as it looks from the pictures?

kind of, yeah

other good beer joints:

Barcade (amazing beers, $.25 80's arcade games)

d.b.a. (great beer selection, horrible ambience/crowd)

Mugs Ale house

galleries:

causey contemporary

factory fresh

eastern district

boiler

pierogi

Guest uptown devil

Earcandy is my buddies shop. (msla)

GREAT electronic selection

best record shop in the Rocky's I would venture...

nice, i've gotten some amazing vinyls from them on discogs/ebay. was hoping to make it out to Montana this summer, but the cheapest flight is still over $600 :shrug:

other good beer joints:

Barcade (amazing beers, $.25 80's arcade games)

d.b.a. (great beer selection, horrible ambience/crowd)

Mugs Ale house

last time i was in the city we hung out at Mugs for a few hours and even had some dinner. awesome bar, would definitely go back. Barcade sounds great, i'm gonna try and make it there this time i think. have you been to Spuyten Duyvil? that place is amazing. i love that their cask brews are served cold.

galleries:

causey contemporary

factory fresh

eastern district

boiler

pierogi

awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

(it might have been called Academy Annex, not Academy LP's though) without too much luck.

academy annex is what the brooklyn store is referred to, academy records in manhattan isn't as vinyl-centric. you'd have better luck at academy annex in bk, but it's largely used stuff, which might not be as promising with electronic music.

There are 3 Academy record stores. The one in the east village is MOST CERTAINLY VINYL-CENTRIC. There isn't a single cd in the house.

You must be thinking of the one near Chelsea.

i remember kim's on st. marx had a decent vinyl selection, though i mainly went there for movies.

That Kim's closed, sadly. It moved over to 1st and 7th or somewhere near there but it is nowhere near what it used to be. I literally cried when I found out.

If your into Noise, Drone etc then pay a visit to the Hospital Productions Store.

60 EAST 3RD STREET, NEW YORK, NY, 10003-9239, USA

Timings: 12:00 - 8:00 EVERY DAY

There are 3 Academy record stores. The one in the east village is MOST CERTAINLY VINYL-CENTRIC. There isn't a single cd in the house.

You must be thinking of the one near Chelsea.

whoa, i totally thought there were only two—i worked right across the chelsea store for a bit. i must check out the one in east village!

http://bos2010.artsinbushwick.org/

Get a few more stops out on the L to Bushwick for Art... (Hit up Tandem Bar while you're out there for DJ's Wednesdays-Sundays / Friday & Sat Dancing in the Backroom. no cover)

Music Ranges from Motown/Crate-diggery to Disco/House to 80's/Rock/New Wave/DarkWave/Electro to Techno/Rave/Dubstep/Minimal etc depending on the night

www.tandembar.net / Tandem Facebook Page

Spuyten Duyvil and Barcade RULE for the beer junkies...

Spuyten just opened another restaurant (besides Fette Sau) right next door that shares/doubles the size of their backyard.

Barcade has a sister bar called "The Gutter" on N 14th that has a great beer selection as well Plus bowling alley...

Also Record Grouch in the basement of Old Made Vintage just down the street from Spuyten...

not so much electronic, but a GREAT selection...

Ear Candy on Bedford still has a couple of Analords on Vinyl...

:)

Guest Scrambled Ears

i dont particularly like earwax or kims (the new one)...mostly expensive represses (though i have bought things there). theres a place right off broadway. if your going south from U square. its one of the first few blocks on the right. i cant remember the name but they have lots of originals of old LPs (not electronic stuff) its one of my favorite places b.c. it feels more like a record library and less like a store. just got a great copy of the 5000 spirits that sounds beautiful :sorcerer: there are a few other places in the west village like this.

go get a pitcher of the michelob amber bock for $9 at the grassroots in st marx. i like mars bar too. union pool in bk is cool...taco truck ftw

Guest uptown devil

thanks for the all the suggestions guys. printed them all out, should be an awesome weekend in the city!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest viscosity

if you're ever back in new york, make sure to check out Chelsea galleries, they got some great contemporary stuffs

Archived