IGNORED

The Walking Dead - AMC TV Series (spoilers everywhere)

Rubin Farr

don't mean to be a nitpicker but i was very interested in this series until i found out it was based on a comic book that starts off with a total rip of 28 days later ie: guy wakes up in a hospital doesnt know whats going on, zombie apocalypse already started without him. i wish people just made new original stuff these days instead of comic adaptations. :shuriken:

I'm pretty sure the comic was written before 28 Days Later.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest mafted

zombies? :shrug: pretty sure they're fake. could we shut u.. oh, sorry. it's a fad now, must follow along.

we had zombies, then vampires, then werewolves with makeup.. i'm still waiting for Medusa to make a hugely overhyped popularized entrance.. but maybe not.

don't mean to be a nitpicker but i was very interested in this series until i found out it was based on a comic book that starts off with a total rip of 28 days later ie: guy wakes up in a hospital doesnt know whats going on, zombie apocalypse already started without him. i wish people just made new original stuff these days instead of comic adaptations. :shuriken:

well 28 days later came out a year before walking dead.

Unlike vampires and werewolves however, zombies have always been cool for those in the know. Zombies can't feel any emotion or remorse in almost every adaptation, so there's very few ways in can turn out like Twilight.

well 28 days later came out a year before walking dead.

Did it? I knew they were right around the same time but I thought it was the other way around. Oh well, that's a very small part of the comic and plus, so many zombie movies pay homage to those before them. It won't keep me from enjoying this.

Well, the comic was written probably around the same time 28 Days Later came out, but was released the next year....

The writing in the comic is much better than in the film 28DL, imo....

and the series looks to be a lot like the comic....

I am excited not only for the first zombie television show, but one of the only horror tv shows in recent memory, a genre that is being severely neglected by the zombie-like Hollywood entertainment industry....

The opening of the Walking Dead seemed like a pretty open and upfront attempt at homage/pastiche. I guess whether you think it's a rip-off is a question of your PoMosexuality more than anything, but that sort of borrowing is part of almost every modern zombie story. The great thing about the zombie genre is really how generic the crisis scenario is and yet how much a thoughtful writer can expand on that, heaping loads of meaning on that blank-slate threat (and the implied clearing of civilization's slate, etc).

I haven't really read the Walking Dead, just a few bits here and there, but from what I gather it goes into a more extended meditation on post apocalyptic human culture than just about any other example from the genre. Maybe it doesn't, though; I dunno. 75 issues and counting is just too daunting for me at the moment. So I feel like a schmuck for saying this, but: looking forward to the TV show.

im just fucking around, i know triffids had the concept before 28 days later but triffids is about alien human size killer plants not zombies.

I don't subscribe to the post modern notion that 'everything is stolen' , in some sense that is true but there are varying degrees of homage/stealing/inspiration. this to me clearly seems like either an homage or a total recreation of the beginning of 28 days later. Not a big deal at all, im just pointing it out. I'm sure i'll still watch the show and enjoy it

Edited by Awepittance

I'm anxious to see how these turn out, I love zombie related stuff. I haven't read the comics but might look into them in preparation.

• 2 months later...

re: 28 days later. in the comic the wirter addresses this issue in the fan mail section saying something like he feels like "they totally brain-stole that from him". so more of a case of different people coming up with the same thing.

anyway i'm looking forward to this, i love the comic and the trailer looked like a good adaptation, hopefull it'll go on for long.

Edited by GORDO

For a tv show the CGI looks pretty awesome.... I shall wait for this sucker to air before i watch it

what would they be using CGI for?

Explosions and set extensions?

Edited by blackdust