IGNORED

"Move of ten" is out on bleep

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
**Part 1** Acting as an addendum to their recent 'Oversteps' LP, but actually functioning as an entire album in it's own right, 'Move Of Ten' is Ae's outlet for their more rhythmically concerned recent productions. This is part 1 of the vinyl version, bearing four tracks that for our money are easily the finest we've heard from Ae for some time. While the recent 'Oversteps' was a display of complex melodic IDM functions, these tracks are concentrated on the groove, in that innately cybertronik B-Boy style that's written through their best beats. 'Etchogon-s' starts the set with a spiky hardsteppers arrangement laced with convulsive drum protrusions to get you in a crooked wriggle. 'Y7' follows this into a wormhole of psilocybic acid patterns textured like finely crushed glass rubbed on the cochlea and driven by a gracefully padded 4/4 - its probably the most AFX sounding track we've heard from Autechre - and an absolute warehouse killer. 'Pce Freeze 2.8i' on the other hand works a boulder-bass heavy hiphop groove with barren atmospherics and striking digital implosions, and then 'Rew1' spews gurgling acid dissonance into the circuitry of a malfunctioning hiphop bounce groove. Highly limited copies - very very good indeed.

its

**Part 1** Acting as an addendum to their recent 'Oversteps' LP, but actually functioning as an entire album in it's own right, 'Move Of Ten' is Ae's outlet for their more rhythmically concerned recent productions. This is part 1 of the vinyl version, bearing four tracks that for our money are easily the finest we've heard from Ae for some time. While the recent 'Oversteps' was a display of complex melodic IDM functions, these tracks are concentrated on the groove, in that innately cybertronik B-Boy style that's written through their best beats. 'Etchogon-s' starts the set with a spiky hardsteppers arrangement laced with convulsive drum protrusions to get you in a crooked wriggle. 'Y7' follows this into a wormhole of psilocybic acid patterns textured like finely crushed glass rubbed on the cochlea and driven by a gracefully padded 4/4 - its probably the most AFX sounding track we've heard from Autechre - and an absolute warehouse killer. 'Pce Freeze 2.8i' on the other hand works a boulder-bass heavy hiphop groove with barren atmospherics and striking digital implosions, and then 'Rew1' spews gurgling acid dissonance into the circuitry of a malfunctioning hiphop bounce groove. Highly limited copies - very very good indeed.

its

wat

its

wat

Yeah.

its

wat

Yeah.

it's

Meh. Oversteps was the warm-up, had a few great sections on it, but in Move of Ten they've done away with minimalist sega genesis synth with reverb patches.

M62 is by far the least interesting track on the album IMO. It's not bad, but certainly not nearly as interesting as the jarring cuts of the post industrial stylings of the other tracks. I love the way that the melodic lines and weird timbres and tonal percussion punctuate and complement each other. Also with shit like the weird phasing+motion going on in some of the tracks this is way more of a headphone-studio album than something like untilted..

It will take me some time to decide how I latch onto this one.. like with all their albums, I tend to eat them like candy at first but it still takes a year or two of sitting on it and pulling it out now and then to decide if I really like it. I've just had enough time with Oversteps now to realize that I dig it. But I think I'm quite impressed with this one already.

I really, really loved Oversteps right away, but not nearly as excited about this. I think their new style/sound palette is most interesting when it is melodic and more colorful. This sounds pretty drab to me.

It may be too early to tell. Sure, but a lot of these tracks are just inferior versions of tracks on Oversteps. Just being honest.

The last track is Ae greatness, though.

What?

Enjoying Move Of Ten because it's groovy as fuck, and unlike some of their other releases, doesn't make me feel stoopid.

(I'm sure brilliant insights on my person could be deduced from the above statement.)

P.S. 3:03 pce freeze 2.8i

for the record i will let you all know that this is an amazing release and autechre are on top of their game as they have been for like 20 years or something.

ae fucking shreds, dudes. i mean really, most of you are such piece of shit faggots coming round here like, "yeah, i don't really like it as much as the fucking soundtrack to a crumb of bread my friend's brother made in like 1909 with a banana and whore's lipstick. you know, it really isn't as cool as "quarisfeilded" which has the best songs and stuff. i'm an old piece of shit and nostalgia for my youth is more potent than the awe of really awesome new music. i'm a teenager and my parents are fucking tossers so i got drunk and listened to this at 1kbps mp1s played through my gameboy deluxe mark 2 and i've gotta say this is not sounding good to these ears. i'm a woman so naturally this music does not appeal to me since it lacks emo lyrics. i'm just a total fucking moron and this isn't cool at all come on guys make the next whatever album of yours i really like. the other day i jacked myself off and as i came i shattered the mirror i had been staring into and the glass shards sliced open my mini-size dick and now i'm in a bad mood and so i put this on and wtf does it suck. i really wish this was more like fucking joanna newsom, flying lotus, animal collective, whatever stupid bullshit watmm is always cry-cumming over."

fuck you fucking cock holes, this shit is fucking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- alcofribas

Etchogon-S - nice intro. Good track.

y7 - still don't like this.

pce freeze 2.8i - good but I want it to pound more. Last three seconds is amazing.

rew(1) - starts ok, at some point it seems to morph into like the best thing ever.

nth Dafuseder.b - not sure on the re-use of the beat, but the reverb and flutey noises are amazing.

iris is a pupil - lovely!

no border - wasn't sure at first but by the end I didn't want it to end.

M62 - hi Richard.

ylm0 - nice. Forgettable.

Cep piuqMX - holy crapping wow. This is intense.

Soooooo yeah. Mostly very good with a couple of average moments. Same as Oversteps for me. Lovely.

I found the album at a local store today and did something I never do with albums by artists I know - I listened to a couple of the 30 sec samples. And surprise, they sounded more interesting than Oversteps to me. I didn't buy it yet though, not sure if I should or not ...

Guest theSun

i jacked myself off and as i came i shattered the mirror i had been staring into

seriously contemplating this as album title

is it because you don't know how to read? because i just posted all that you need to know about it.

that must be it, thanks :happy:

but still, opinions on Oversteps vary big time, so I figure noone will be able to tell me whether I will enjoy Move of Ten or not

lol

Sean: "innit mate, it's the fookin' tub"! *just wild, massive inhalations of laughter

Rob: "That's not how it gets to Warp...or wait, can you post through the tub"? :huh::sorcerer:

*Sean leans into the drain with his hands cupped at his mouth* "Ahoy Ahoy Maties!!!"

*5 straight minutes of falling over each other, punching each other in the arm, heads knocking together, absolutely breathless with laughter*

*Sudden feigned sobriety* Rob: "no one answered!"...

a minute of concerned pause.

Sean: "you reckon they're sleeping"?

Rob, the tone turning very serious, "shall we run the water to alert them? We already got a ten thousand pound advance on this, it must get to Warp"!

Sean: "Fookin' flip the faucet on and off, mate, wake 'em up, write "move often" on the DAT so they know how to not fall asleep at the post"!!

xxx what do you think of nth dafuseder.b?

I dunno xxx, I see plenty of.. "sobriety" in their late output in the form of restraint and focus. Tracks like iris was a pupil take a definite tone, and give it a full development.

And your anecdote about them scrawling out the name of the record and sending it to Warp last minute was gratuitous. Don't they live apart now? Recent interviews talk a lot about their process, and they mention having to make compromises between Sean, Rob, and what they think is best for Autechre. To me this indicates a level of refinement and thought beyond the "whoaa, cool new sounds!" that you make this record out to be.

I would agree that some of their productions seem a bit.. out there. In particular, I agree with your assessing tracks like Cep puiqMX. There is a track that seems to have a mind of it's own, taking some weird turns along the way. But I think that's just a case of them been around and working together for so long.. it only makes sense to have a boatload of internal influences and quirks. Plus it's just characteristic of Autechre to add those weird touches, the strangely cinematic horns at the beginning of Cep puiqMX.

If marijuana is a contributor to their weirdness well then I don't really care. I doubt they are as out of control as you imagine, and I would disagree on the coherency of their late output, as find it very "listenable". Etchogon y7 and nth are bangin, m62 and iris are beautiful, and in general MoT + Oversteps have kept me listening and loving Autechre more than ever.

Guest Sprigg

After giving it six or seven listens on headphones, in my car, and on my home stereo system... I still can't get into Etchegon-S. It isn't horrible, but I definitely tend to skip it.

It's like it gets out of bed then starts running around the room, screaming and flailing its arms like a maniac, lays down on the floor crying, then does the whole thing over again.

The rest of the album, especially from Iris Was a Pupil to the end of Cep_puiqMX, is ace.

On a slightly different note, anyone else getting slightly tired of the unpronouncable/ working titles/ random song titles?

Guest bardamu

I swear that this is Rob and Sean in a blunt haze so deep that the room looks blue and the LEDs of their Monomachines are just red blipping smears that barely make it through their Chinese eyes

this made me laugh my ass off. i love MoT both sober and high, but the spatial effects on good speakers/good room are unworldly when you're high. y7 especially. clearly mj isn't your drug though... i pity you but imagine there are compensatory glories to which we hazed ones likewise cannot access ;)

on that note, smoked a joint with mom and dad the other day and listened to MoT. they loved it--beautiful was the word that kept coming up. so many tracks on this album share the oversteps feeling of just warm kindness and intense, unbridled beauty and joy for life. if i were to biographize i'd say b&b must be really happy in their lives right now.

After giving it six or seven listens on headphones, in my car, and on my home stereo system... I still can't get into Etchegon-S. It isn't horrible, but I definitely tend to skip it.

I wish this song would stick with it's strengths. A bit of sporadity isn't a bad thing, like when it has that sound of "gearing up", but I want them to riff on that beat more, the initial one around :30. It heads into slicey-dicey stratosphere land after that, instead of paring down on what makes the initial energy so awesome.

On a slightly different note, anyone else getting slightly tired of the unpronouncable/ working titles/ random song titles?

Sort of am.. Quaristice era was just annoying. The permutations of 90101, song titles that are just numbers, was taking it too far. It's a bit better with Oversteps, though I'd like more titles like ilanders, and treale; words that dont necessarily have meaning, yet you feel like they could mean something in another language. I still hate the unnecessary numbers: os veix3? Why not just Os veix. My favorite Autechre titles are words like nuane, eutow, which feel like they could be a meaningful word in some unknown language.

on that note, smoked a joint with mom and dad the other day and listened to MoT

weiiiirrrrd. Cool that you're on the same page though?...

Guest Sprigg

I wish this song would stick with it's strengths. A bit of sporadity isn't a bad thing, like when it has that sound of "gearing up", but I want them to riff on that beat more, the initial one around :30. It heads into slicey-dicey stratosphere land after that, instead of paring down on what makes the initial energy so awesome.

Sort of am.. Quaristice era was just annoying. The permutations of 90101, song titles that are just numbers, was taking it too far. It's a bit better with Oversteps, though I'd like more titles like ilanders, and treale; words that dont necessarily have meaning, yet you feel like they could mean something in another language. I still hate the unnecessary numbers: os veix3? Why not just Os veix. My favorite Autechre titles are words like nuane, eutow, which feel like they could be a meaningful word in some unknown language.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you about the winding up thing. It starts out and seems pretty interesting, and it still is, really, but it's just too... noodly... for my current tastes.

And God, the number titles drive me up the wall. Oversteps song titles didn't bother me at all, most of those are at least pronouncable/ distinguishable.

I guess it puts the emphasis more on the music itself, not on some metaphorical meaning or some kind of 'message' or 'intention,' in that sense making it even more ambiguous and objective and even personal for the listener.

Archived