IGNORED

any vegans/vegetarians/raw foodists up in da WATTM?

Guest yikes

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

to add to the whole "farming vegetables is just as bad" thing, how many billions of small animals lose their lives to the harvest every year?

unless we completely abandon any "civilized" way of life and go back to being hunter/gatherers in constant fear for our lives from larger predators, anything we do to nourish ourselves will cause death and destruction on massive scales. so, troon et al, if you're really serious about saving the world, there are two things you can do:

1.) run off into the forest and forage/hunt for food

or

2.) kill yrselfs

^but we can choose to minimize the damage/impact we have, rather than saying oh we can't eliminate the problem entirely so let's not bother at all. (for example, even as a meat eater i can still opt to avoid supporting factory farming in many cases)

^but we can choose to minimize the damage/impact we have, rather than saying oh we can't eliminate the problem entirely so let's not bother at all. (for example, even as a meat eater i can still opt to avoid supporting factory farming in many cases)

If youre going to do that, you're not going t start with the food production industry obviously.

If youre going to do that, you're not going t start with the food production industry obviously.

For a long time I was fortunate enough to live near family farms (before the word 'free range' was invented as a marketing gimmick) so a good chunk of my produce didn't consist of hormone-fed zombieanimals locked in tiny cages. Of course, not everyone has such an option. This is stuff that should matter to anyone whether omnivore or vegetarian, it affects the quality of the food you are buying.

I just find it funny that when it comes to say, attempting to improve anything, people assume that you have to throw out the entire structure or not bother at all. Historically, change always comes in smaller and more realistic baby steps.

For a long time I was fortunate enough to live near family farms (before the word 'free range' was invented as a marketing gimmick) so a good chunk of my produce didn't consist of hormone-fed zombieanimals locked in tiny cages. Of course, not everyone has such an option. This is stuff that should matter to anyone whether omnivore or vegetarian, it affects the quality of the food you are buying.

I just find it funny that when it comes to say, attempting to improve anything, people assume that you have to throw out the entire structure or not bother at all. Historically, change always comes in smaller and more realistic baby steps.

I agree, baby steps. I can see baby steps happening. Vegan/vegetarian is now gaining more and more popularity. To say there is no change happening is short sighted. Only in the last few years have there been a difference between organic and non-organically grown veg in and of the local supermarkets over here. Before that it was all the same unless you went to a fruit and veg market.

Guest theSun

I agree, baby steps. I can see baby steps happening. Vegan/vegetarian is now gaining more and more popularity. To say there is no change happening is short sighted. Only in the last few years have there been a difference between organic and non-organically grown veg in and of the local supermarkets over here. Before that it was all the same unless you went to a fruit and veg market.

are you talking about the food itself? the availability? the price?

Guest disparaissant

i was under the assumption that this thread was entirely hyperbole.

i should have surmised that, this is watmm after all :aphexsign: however it seems people are usually prone to hyperbole in general

@chassis, for sure that has changed noticeably here in both quality and availability. buying organic used to mean spending twice as much on a few dried out mouldy carrots shrink-wrapped in a meat tray

"we are surrounded by addictions - some of them are so embedded in our daly lives that they have ceased to be looked at in this way.

we are being controlled and manipulated in very subtle and advanced ways and the saddest thing is that those powers that perpetuate

these types of lies are winning.

we must take our innocence back - we must take our lives back - we are not cash cows - we are human beings.

awaken the sleepers - subvert!"

I agree with you wholeheartedly Troon...

Meat and dairy products are extremely addictive... Many "Mainstream Diet" people I know won't even eat vegetables or fruit anymore. ...Because it won't GET THEM OFF!!

Eating has become a drug for mainstream culture... It's about the rush and the sick power you feel from eating such strong energy's

Eating should be about balance and nutrition... Mentally, Spiritually and Physically

Here's a little test you can perform...

Go into any Denny's, Cracker Barrel, Western Sizzilin',Fudruckers or Fat Buddy's(Did I leave any out?) Walk up to the first obese man eating a pork steak you see and take his food from him...

He just might try to kill you...

Now go into your local vegetarian restaurant... Walk up to the first slim attractive man with great skin you see and take his food...

This man we'll no doubt have the balance and elevation to discern what is happening to him and certainly make a level headed decision...

Not one based on lower chakra "Fucking and Fighting" / "Flight or Flight" animalistic mentality...

Love yourself...

wonderful post, pretty much says it all

i think we should start eating people too

round up all the criminals and unleash mobs of naked impovershed citizens to feast on them

solves so many things.

hey johnathon swift.

Well if the use of the word "paranormal" in the article heading wasn't enough of a hint that this is a load of bollocks, then at the very least, the very article itself states:

In the scientific community as a whole, paranormal biocommunication has been subjected to much criticism, and is largely regarded as a pseudoscience. Overall, there is little concrete, universally verified evidence suggesting that there is any truth to the theory, and it is therefore apt to receive a great deal of contempt among scientific circles, often disdainfully called 'the Backster Effect'. Skeptics typically criticize the fact that many experiments into 'plant perception' are not taken in controlled conditions and that therefore their results are not verifiable evidence of its existence. Many skeptics of the theory also state that, since plants lack nervous or sensory systems, they are not capable of having feelings, or perceiving human emotions or intentions, which would require a complex nervous system. [4][5] The primary emotional center in the animal brain is believed to be the limbic system which is absent in plants, just like the rest of the nervous system.[6]

even so, though, even if plants don't feel pain, don't they still have just as much right to life as animals and humans? does the lack of a nervous system really make them "sub-human," or just "non-human"?

"oh but they're different from me so it's okay to murder and eat them."

if scientists were to create a new breed of cow that had no nervous system, just a numb bag of meat on legs, would you be okay with "farming" them and killing them in slaughterhouses by the thousands?

(I'm partly just trolling but I also find these to be interesting questions)

Guest theSun

i just want to post an overall lol at people who think humans are the cause of natural chaos and sad animals.

the difference between any living thing and nonliving is that the living things act with intent. whether it's growing up and left to get closer to the energy source, stalking prey to ingest its nutrients or grazing in a field, all living things have 1 goal: to survive. personal survival is different than species survival, but they both play an important part of our (current) natural instincts.

if any other animal were in the position of humans, they would fuck the world just like we have. all animals are greedy fux because they can only experience life subjectively and therefore can't comprehend why ripping the head off of a baby bird could be considered "cruel" or "unnecessary" when it's what is needed for survival.

that's why i'm not against mean philosophically, but i do have problems with our meat industry simply because it's not a good long term plan for us or the heavily medicated cattle or the water supply.

that said, eventually i want to kill 1-2 deer/caribou/whatever per year and use all the meat/skin because that's a much more humane (less long term impact) way of getting protein than supporting the meat industry.

i developed acid relux while i was a vegetarian. i think the biggest culprit for me is the gallons of alcohol i consume on a somewhat daily basis.

same, but i suspect it was a combination of alcohol, tobacco, prescription NSAID's and then that epic poutine which just pushed things right over the edge

Guest disparaissant

best food i ever ate was a bison steak. went over to this guy's house to buy some coke and it turned out his roommate was a chef at a 4 star restaurant. and that guy's dad was one of those insane "if it moves i'll kill it" type hunters so he had a fridge full of crazy good/weird meats. he cooked us all up a bison steak and oh my god it was delicious. then we left and did the whole 8 ball off the back of a young jeezy (at that time known as lil j) cd in the middle of a parking lot in a blizzard. ah to be young and stupid again.

Archived