IGNORED

Brit Pop

beerwolf

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

their last album was a bit late is all. the world had moved on and i had too. maybe now it'll sound better. i remmeber the single being a corker. sunrise?

indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXgnXC6oFgE

this is also an incredible track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbe-S5Y1YyM

reeks of scott walker

Guest nene multiple assgasms

was fire records the one that was associated with warp (kind of like lex)? I've wondered if this had something to do with jarvis cocker directing the video for on.

was fire records the one that was associated with warp (kind of like lex)? I've wondered if this had something to do with jarvis cocker directing the video for on.

no, fire records was a london label. jarvis directed on because he was at every student party ever hosted in sheffield between the mid-eighties and the mid-nineties, i think.

his'n'hers was my first pulp album. it's got a much seedier sort of tmosphere than later stuff i think (and it's a bit synthier too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTo7wKumolU

billabongodrum 9 months ago 41

i honesty could cry for lost youth

so much melancholy in the youtube comments. it reminds me of a girl... i'm sure it reminds lots of people who were 17 or 18 when it was released of a girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2HKn1XiEs

god, pulp were a fantastic band.

edit: gift records was the warp imprint, it seems

i liked and still like a lot of British Pop music from the 90's. i just hate that term "Britpop". it sounds shit.

i was always with Blur, no matter what they did. i love their first album still. "Leisure". i like the 'baggy' sound. it might sound dated now but so what! i love it. like i still love a lot of the Mondays's stuff.

i always preferred their (blurs') odd little tunes rather than the big singalong anthems. 'The Great Escape' and 'Blur' are probably the best albums for those odd little gems.

as for Oasis, like Kaini said, the first 2 albums were ok if you like/d that sorta thing. i liked definitely maybe when it first came out, but quickly got bored of it. same with their second album. then they just turned into complete twats and i still can't stand them to this day!

there was loads of other good music from that time, too.. like, Elastica, for example.... and Sleeper, and Supergrass, and, a bunch of others that i can't even begin to remember. never liked Suede at all. couldn't stand that Bretts' voice. what a whiney, nasal fucker! a bit like Liam, but stretched and pitched up an octave. awfull.

so in summary, i don't think it was all really that bad at all. :)

Blur were/are the definite winners of britpop. but then Damon Albarn did sort of create the whole thing anyway....

who really gives a shit about Oasis anymore, apart from half daft Northerners? lol

i remember a funny thing Albarn said once, "Oasis are good, if you're 15". sums it all up really. :)

• 3 months later...

it's better than that, particularly the title track and cop shoot cop

i loved the followup, let it come down, at the time of release but i find it very overblown now.

Guest MortstoX

Is Spiritualized really a Brit Pop band?

I like a lot of of the Brit Pop bands. It's like Grunge. See through the hype and post-hate, and you'll find a lot of good music.

Blur:Parklife, Blur, 13

Oasis: I know that they are assholes, but their first two albums are good

Pulp: Different class, This is Hardcore

Supergrass: I should coco, In it for the money

Suede: Suede, Dog Man Star, Coming Up

Teenage Fanclub: Pretty much everything, including 2010s Shadows

I feel that Blur are a complete load of fucking rubbish. They never had any consisteny in their career of what they wanted to be (other than famous).

Back to the point: Britpop yielded a few great albums.

Suede - Coming Up

Kula Shaker - K

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

Cast - All Change

However it was mostly about bands having a couple of overplayed singles populating albums' worth of mediocre songs.

eg:

Blur

Sleeper

Echobelly

Shit Seven

Guest Greg Reason

just listened to Spiritualized's "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space"... it's pretty good

DAMN GOOD

But not really Britpop imo, feels like a young fella took mountains of tabs and decided to write a Brian Wilson album

Guest Greg Reason

I feel that Blur are a complete load of fucking rubbish. They never had any consisteny in their career of what they wanted to be (other than famous).

Yeah cause one of the hallmarks of greatness is sounding the same all the time...

Guest igloos unlmtd

I understand where he's coming from. I think in their whole catalog Blur have a couple of good songs - but there are plenty of duds in the mix. Blur really didn't have much of a chance against Oasis...

The ones I like are more on the shoegazey side though. She's So High, & the song from the Trainspotting soundtrack...

There are so many other bands I'd pick over listening to Blur. I like The Verve a lot... even their last album had a couple of really great songs on it.

Ride had some spotty albums at the end but even on those albums that had some amazing songs.

Yeah cause one of the hallmarks of greatness is sounding the same all the time...

Well that would the other end of the spectrum. In any case, that was just one reason of why I hate Blur. Other reasons are simply that their albums are dull and uninspiring.

Although I admit they have released a handful of decent singles over their career. But I really have no idea why they felt the need to continue after their best of.

... bands are better when they view themselves as a musical project rather than just being in it for fame and money. Blur are not a musical project. They are nothing.

Well that would the other end of the spectrum. In any case, that was just one reason of why I hate Blur. Other reasons are simply that their albums are dull and uninspiring.

Although I admit they have released a handful of decent singles over their career. But I really have no idea why they felt the need to continue after their best of.

... bands are better when they view themselves as a musical project rather than just being in it for fame and money. Blur are not a musical project. They are nothing.

incorrect. haven't you learned by now that damon albarn is all about the music? that's all the guy does--he eats, sleeps, breathes music. back in the day there was much more bullshit surrounding the music, and alex james may have been in it mainly for the fame and women, but blur made a big pile of timeless music. mlir and parklife are perfect. the great escape is severely underrated, and blur and 13 are pretty close to brilliant. graham coxon is one of the most unsung guitar heroes in music history, the guy was, and is, amazing.

this is in my top 10 tunes of all time, it's epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxHiuBkBryY

While I agree with most of what pattern recognition said above there, it's funny regarding Graham Coxon. He was a great fit for Blur and their musical ambitions, but his solo stuff was pretty mediocre. Saw him live at Reading 2000 and it was very pedestrian.

ANyways, yes blur were great and piss on anyone who can't recognize.

Related: dug this up for nostalgia. Can't believe it was 10 years ago.

this is in my top 10 tunes of all time, it's epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxHiuBkBryY

Wow, that is a really good song. The only two Blur songs I ever heard were Song 2 and the song that went on about "girls who like boys who do girls like their boys...", neither of which compelled me to listen any further. Though in retrospect the latter song was as finely crafted and catchy as any bubblegum pop tune could ever be. Guess it's time to familiarize myself with the rest of their output.

While I agree with most of what pattern recognition said above there, it's funny regarding Graham Coxon. He was a great fit for Blur and their musical ambitions, but his solo stuff was pretty mediocre.

he's still an amazing guitarist, but yeah, his solo output is mediocre at best. he seems to have needed damon to bring out the best in him.

Zepyr_Nova:

there's much amazing blur beyond "song 2" and "girl and boys", i hope you love it all!

another brilliant one, something that shows the depth of blur, something that oasis couldn't fathom achieving:

yes, i suppose i'm a blur fanboy. or was, back in the day.

Played Dog Man Star by Suede a few weeks back, it still stands up.

Not a big fan of Blur myself but those of you who are check out Battery in your Leg from their last album.

I can't link it at the moment.

Archived