IGNORED

Aphex Twin sleevenotes on a CS-5

sinesurfin

Every self-respecting owner of SAW II should already know about this... perhaps not that it's a Yamaha CS-5, but at least that it was carved into the case of a synth used in the album's production.

Every self-respecting owner of SAW II should already know about this... perhaps not that it's a Yamaha CS-5, but at least that it was carved into the case of a synth used in the album's production.

Unless they're young enough to have the CD or download... :)

And I quoth myself again:

Every self-respecting owner

:emotawesomepm9:

Good song, good EP.

Good song, good EP.

You observed what I accomplished in that space.

• 10 years later...
3 minutes ago, hijexx said:

I reckon it'll sell for $25000

That’s my guess is around there maybe more depending on whether some celebs find out it’s for sale? Like maybe that minecraft guy bids on it to add to his collection lol.

last I checked a day or two ago it was only 3500$ with 40 bids so it’s climbing pretty quick!

Yeah AFX is more well known now than 2010 as far as I can tell, this is definitely a one of a kind item, could argue that the CAT23 LP is less rare than this since multiple copies were pressed. Yeah maybe $50000 isn't out of the question at this point for a piece of history.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

auction ended. highest bid was £16,260.30 but it didn't meet the reserve.

Interesting - yesterday when I looked it said 16500 USD (12400gbp) and 65 or so bids? Did it shoot up suddenly from that? Or am I mistaken?

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

3 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Interesting - yesterday when I looked it said 16500 USD (12400gbp) and 65 or so bids? Did it shoot you suddenly from that? Or am I mistaken?

yep, it went up a fair amount over the last few hours...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/184529209534

4 minutes ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

yep, it went up a fair amount over the last few hours...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/184529209534

Oh wow did it ever! I didn’t know we could look up bid history like that, thanks! The typical eBay last min bidders Lol. I’ve been there, smashing that button right before the item closes 

so I guess @hijexx’s estimate was pretty close. I’m truly surprised it wasn’t higher, curious what the reserve was. Why not just start the bidding at the reserve so as to not waste everyone’s time like that? Wouldn’t that guarantee the owner gets at least the min they want + it would still get bid up (albeit by a smaller pool of ppl)

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 2

Kinda wonder if this was just someone trying to figure out what a current market price would be. You figure eh I want to sell this thing but I'm not sure what somebody would pay so you list it with a crazy reserve so nobody actually buys it. "Oh, someone would pay 20000 for this, that's cool!" So next time the opportunity comes up to sell it you know that number and can just say "I'll sell it for 25000" then you negotiate and sell it for 20000 and the buyer thinks they haggled you when in reality you saved the 13% ebay+paypal fee on 20000.

SMART

65 bids, eh?

why don't these people just buy a Yamaha GX1, crap out some complex and sophisticated solos with it in about four days, get super famous for owning such a mammoth piece of kit and then sell the GX1? with some poetry or whatever carved into it of course.

Nice little note added to the auction:

UPDATE - November 13, 2020:

I received the following message from Paul Nicholson, who designed the Aphex Twin logo and the gatefold LP for Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2:

“I met Richard in October 1991 and designed his logo and logotype. I also designed the sleeve for Selected Ambient Works II.
As such, I can vouch for the fact that it was Richard that etched on the back of the synth.

This scratched lettering was by Richard James, AKA Aphex Twin.
It was used as the sleeve notes for the artwork I created for Selected Ambient Works II.

The sepia tone photo that ended up on the sleeve of SAW II was taken by his girlfriend at the time, Sam.
The roll of film was taken to my local Kodak shop on Kilburn High Road and collected by myself along with all the other photos that ended up on that sleeve.
That would have been December 1993.”

• Like 2