IGNORED

louis ck

gritbox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great season. Pretty much perfect imo.

I read some reviews of the finale last night---stuff like NY Times, Variety, etc--and I was amazed at how idiotic the opinions were. They thought that Pamela was actually the destructive kind of crazy and that Louie was an actual would-be-rapist and that the scales-for-weed episode was boring and that the show's complete disregard for continuity is actually problematic...

about as painful as reading pitchfork reviews of classic idm albums.

got a few paragraphs into the ny times review myself before figuring "fuck it" and closed the sucker.

Yeah, and I think it stems from the sort-of #CancelColbert political-correctness culture which is so fucking rampant online.

Like, if you make a statement that's too subtle then dumb people will misread your intentions and assume you're racist or that you condone rape or whatever. I see alot of my friends get swept up in moral outrage over the goofiest shit because the subtlety was lost on them.

looking back it, my favorite episodes were the finale flashback and the astronaut daughter/Sienfeld hamptons one. I was hoping after that Hamptons episode he'd do more really good looking cinematography but I didn't notice anything as good looking or well framed for the rest of the season.

that season was perfect. the last three seasons had completely me up to the fact that this show is 40% comedy, 60 % just interesting, tense and emotional, and season 4 killed it, miles better than season 3 i thought. i feel like this is a show that could really open up to being a fuller, plot based thing rather than just vignettes, but yeah. easily the coolest thing ive seen for while. 9/10 and a strong 9.

also, doing two episodes each week. best idea ever.

just got caught up on the last two episodes, is he really doing 2 episodes a week? i never head of a show doing that before. i like that Louie has gotten with pamela, epecially after that whole fucked up scene between them at the flea market.

i didn't realize the flashback wasn't the finale, so i finale-y watched it and it was pretty good. I especially like the part where Louie got naked and you saw his ass. I was half expecting him to 'end' the show with a setup visually looking exactly like the side-view shot of his apartment from Lucky Louie

lucky_louie-cross.jpg

Guest bitroast

Holy shit, Louie is the prequel to Lucky Louie.

this thought popped in my head even before season4.. with louie (currently) ending on season 4 it's even more possible. a spiritual prequel? maybe?

is lucky louie worth watching? or is just a bunch of rehashed standup material in sitcom format? the few clips i've seen of it have all been based on standup bits of his. or the other way around.

also, laugh track. :(

i guess its possibly to do with being english, but ive never really minded laugh tracks. if the program is actually funny then i like the atmosphere they induce.

obviously alot of awful comedies use them to simply make it seem like its more amusing than it is, but yeah. alan partridge is my absolute favourite, and thats got a laugh track.

Guest bitroast

is lucky louie worth watching? or is just a bunch of rehashed standup material in sitcom format? the few clips i've seen of it have all been based on standup bits of his. or the other way around.

also, laugh track. :(

it's only a handful of episodes and definitely worth watching if you're a fan of his material (standup/louie/whatever).

it's got a laugh track for a pretty specific reason. it's essentially the anti-sitcom. lots of sitcom tropes, clichés, etc. but it sort of turns it upside and dumps it on its head (with episode topics, use of swearing, etc.) to sort of mix it up. sometimes I can't quite decide if the show is great or if it's merely good. it's definitely not bad and as a Louis ck fan it's definitely worth watching. I think its great but i'll need to re-watch sometime.

yea luckie louie is pretty funny but only when taken in context of shitty sitcoms and how it subverts those tropes, imo. 'louie' is infinitely better as both a comedy and a tv show in general.

[edit] also i kind of hope both louie & fargo quit while they're ahead now and don't do further seasons, simply because those that just passed were so damn good.

fargo was amazing, for sure. if you superanalyse it im sure you could find things to hate, but as an intruiging crime thriller with an interesting plot, great atmosphere, and a cracking badguy, it was some hot shit.

Is Fargo good?

I've heard everything from "it's amazing" to "it's horrible"...

3rded on watch that shit. Don't see how you'd view it as horrible really.

Martin Freeman was a despicable character. Reaches some high levels of ultra-douchery.

i gotta say that by far the weakest link in the Louie show is that he lets people who can't act at all take up too much screen time. That scene with Marc Maron, while well written and all was just horribly acted, it was truly cringe worthy

my least favorite part of the show is the comedian friends (not the actors, the group of characters on the show). their scenes are usually unfunny and boring.

Archived