IGNORED

louis ck

gritbox

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have this really bad feeling CK might top himself

I'm really hoping he just admits to his problem. He has a gift for eloquently explaining things. I want his shameful, down-to-earth, full confession.
this

while this is upsetting this serms like a really gray area...I dunno, for one I think he probably has true remorse, also this seems to indicate a threshold is being reached on what can be lumped in as unacceptable. Objectively this is just not as bad as what has been alleged against Weinstein, Spacey, Bill Cosby, etc. This is topping a new story about a conservative elected official in Alabama who allegedly raped underage girls.

Heres a pretty good post that puts this in context, including the fact that when these incidents occurred Louis was still obscure and not in any major position of influence, i.e. this wasnt some blackmail or exploitation situation but him, at worse, being bizarrely inappropriate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/7bvu6p/megathred_5_women_claim_sexual_misconduct_against/dpl74zs

I'm not trying to defend Louie CK or have my judgement affected by my fandom of his work, but this encapsulates a very, very reactionary era in news and social media in which flippant denouncing and judgement is demanded or thorough assement and cautionary reflection. If this is part of a major fight against exploitation ans harassment that is long overdo in the entertainment industry and society as a whole then ok...otherwise we might be approaching an era of arbitrary and wildly inconsistent public shaming and career assassination.

/rant

"In related news, Dane Cook has recently started masturbating in front of unsuspecting women but insists he came up with the bit himself."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

the guy clearly has a sexual kink where women humiliate him. its present in all of his work. he elevates women and hates men. he loathes himself and his body and loves when women lecture him. if you listened to opie and anthony circa 2007 or so right when louie got divorced it was obvious he was a piece of shit but he was always honest about it. i'm not at all surprised this stuff is true but none of it sounds criminal. all the women in the article consented except the one who didn't who he awkwardly apologized to, did nothing and left it at that. the problem right now is he is getting lumped in with weinstein and kevin spacey when what is presented here is a self loathing creep acting out his perversion with seemingly consenting adults, comics who probably were laughing about this shit for years behind the scenes. i'm sorry but the stand up scene is not a workplace. what he did was creepy and weird but i don't think it needs to be aired out in a nyt hit piece like this as if the guy is a criminal. and whatever film or tv career he had is now over, in an instant. the only plus side is i guess his stand up might improve. oh and of course the traumatized women can be at peace now.

the guy clearly has a sexual kink where women humiliate him. its present in all of his work. he elevates women and hates men. he loathes himself and his body and loves when women lecture him. if you listened to opie and anthony circa 2007 or so right when louie got divorced it was obvious he was a piece of shit but he was always honest about it. i'm not at all surprised this stuff is true but none of it sounds criminal. all the women in the article consented except the one who didn't who he awkwardly apologized to, did nothing and left it at that. the problem right now is he is getting lumped in with weinstein and kevin spacey when what is presented here is a self loathing creep acting out his perversion with seemingly consenting adults, comics who probably were laughing about this shit for years behind the scenes. i'm sorry but the stand up scene is not a workplace. what he did was creepy and weird but i don't think it needs to be aired out in a nyt hit piece like this as if the guy is a criminal. and whatever film or tv career he had is now over, in an instant. the only plus side is i guess his stand up might improve. oh and of course the traumatized women can be at peace now.

Sums it up, that's pretty much how I think of it too.

after any accusation from anyone no matter how long ago, your career ends in 5 minutes. i don't understand.

Trump, Polanski, Woody Allen, Chris Brown, Mel Gibson, Sean Penn... Men have a right to abuse women goddamit

I see your point (if you were making it) that standards vary wildly, which is a shame, but even this isn't a homogeneous list.

Gibson is an anti-Semitic and generally an asshole verbally, took a hit for it in the industry, and yet I would not lump him there with Chris Brown, who beat Rihanna so badly he could have easily killed her if he kept going. That fucked went on to keep record Billboard hit songs with lyrics literally boasting about himself.

This all just points to the fact that each of these scandals vary greatly, there's a huge spectrum within what is vaguely defined as "wrong." But quick stupid and superficial moral judgement makes for easily news articles than in-depth discussions and debate.

Current times people are ultra reactionary but also have short attention spans. In 2 years I bet CK, Spacey, and most other stars that are revealed will be back to business as usual. Weinstein will just retire to an island.

"When a person tells you that you hurt them, you don't get to decide that you didn't" -Louie, S05E03

I feel like i'm caught up on most of the public details of this story to where i can understand the empathy for him, but i would never defend him or make excuses. I don't find any humor in this situation so it's not something i would make light of.

I find it unsettling that i have known about this for so long now, yet only now is it coming to the mainstream and having an impact on his career. What does that say about the true nature of our culture/media? None of this has been a secret, it just hasn't hit mainstream media. Why is that? With the recent flood of accusations against so many entertainers i quickly thought of Louis and wondered when his sexual misconduct was going to finally come to light on a broader scale.

Current times people are ultra reactionary but also have short attention spans. In 2 years I bet CK, Spacey, and most other stars that are revealed will be back to business as usual. Weinstein will just retire to an island.

Paul Reubens had this happen. He experienced huge backlash for being arrested for - well honestly something was a bullshit charge anyway - jerking off alone in an adult theater in Florida. After that arrest in 1991 he was hardly in anything until Blow. Pee-Herman as an image and cultural icon has pretty much been restored 100% as it was, albeit over decades.

I was a huge fan of Pee-Wee Herman as a kid and my parents were actually pretty understanding of the fact that Reubens actually didn't do anything that harmed anyone, so they never told me about the arrest or backlash. It wasn't until I heard some kid mention it middle school and saw him popping back up in the early 00s that I even knew what occurred, and my dad said something like "yeah, I mean, it was inappropriate to explain to you as a kid, but still pretty damn bogus how much it damaged his career. It had nothing to do with his show."

Like now I have a son who is almost 2 and a half and he loves that goofy animated film where Louis CK voices a dog. I have no idea if it will stay on Netflix. There's absolutely nothing that will convince me not to let him watch it. Abstract, convenient public outrage is a joke. It's like the people who say they will boycott Papa John's or Chick-Fil-a...I mean, I think it was godawful and obnoxious that some conservatives actively supported them after those companies did political bullshit but there was no way I was not going eat at either of those places if I needed a fast food fix. 

yeah, it really does seem like a fad. if polanski is still doing good despite buttfucking a teenager, it's hard to imagine louis won't make it.

yeah, it really does seem like a fad. if polanski is still doing good despite buttfucking a teenager, it's hard to imagine louis won't make it.

ill put money on that

ck maybe...as guilt can be new schtick 

spacey no...dude going to prison

Thing is, it's really hard to prove this kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, if Spacey did these things he should definitely do time, but it's going to be tough to find proof of guilt (unless he made a sex tape, which I wouldn't be too surprised by)

he made a statement saying it's all true and owning what he did.  as statements for this kind of thing go it's a step in the right direction i think. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/11/10/louis-c-k-these-stories-are-true/?utm_term=.ef1ab37f9528

Here’s is C.K.’s statement in full:

I want to address the stories told to the New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.

I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.

I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.

There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years.

I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading.

hbo and netflix already ditched his stuff before he even responded, such a cunt like fake righteousness and trend riding.

yeah.. pretty much everyone ditched him pretty quickly.  things in progress etc.. movie etc etc.. i heard even amy schumer won't be performing his jokes any longer ;)

I don't understand this need to remove all art made by people who have done bad things, we'll end up cencoring everything if this keeps up. People do bad shit, that doesn't make everything they've ever touched harmful to the general population. I'm getting pissed off! Fuck!

Archived