IGNORED

louis ck

gritbox

he made a statement saying it's all true and owning what he did.  as statements for this kind of thing go it's a step in the right direction i think. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/11/10/louis-c-k-these-stories-are-true/?utm_term=.ef1ab37f9528

Here’s is C.K.’s statement in full:

I want to address the stories told to the New York Times by five women named Abby, Rebecca, Dana, Julia who felt able to name themselves and one who did not.

These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.

I have been remorseful of my actions. And I’ve tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position.

I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.

There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with.

I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

The hardest regret to live with is what you’ve done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I’d be remiss to exclude the hurt that I’ve brought on people who I work with and have worked with who’s professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You Daddy. I deeply regret that this has brought negative attention to my manager Dave Becky who only tried to mediate a situation that I caused. I’ve brought anguish and hardship to the people at FX who have given me so much The Orchard who took a chance on my movie. and every other entity that has bet on me through the years.

I’ve brought pain to my family, my friends, my children and their mother.

I have spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen.

Thank you for reading.

Yeah but I think about what his daughters must think, as he made them such a big part of his post-divorce act and HBO series. I'm glad he's taking ownership of his past transgressions, but how much of it is a calculated mea culpa, it's like everyone accused of sexual misconduct is learning from the previously accused person's mistakes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but I think about what his daughters must think, as he made them such a big part of his post-divorce act and HBO series. I'm glad he's taking ownership of his past transgressions, but how much of it is a calculated mea culpa, it's like everyone accused of sexual misconduct is learning from the previously accused person's mistakes.

True, though I agree with some who think that he's been carrying this for years, probably even dreading the day it came out. I'd be curious to know it he confided with anyone else before the story broke. 

It's interesting how much he's kept his family out of the public eye in one sense yet shared so much about their family dynamics and daughter's personalities, relationships, etc. 

He'll be opening for Michael Richards at Chuckles in a few years.

can't wait for the south park episode. 

this whole #metoo shabizzle is so fkn lol.

another Twitter-based USA social hysteria..

wtf this has nothing to do with real life, where ladies pretty much demand that you’re an asshole and they love dick tbh.

yes, I know one or two weak women who posted some sobby #metoo shit on the FB but everyone else is facepalming the situation hard. Like are we all fuckkn weak babbies or what? No we’re not, and the ladies are not either.

it’s true tho, eg nobody here gives a fuck.

Because WATMM's collective opinion is how I gauge what's right and wrong. Okay.

wtf this has nothing to do with real life, where ladies pretty much demand that you’re an asshole and they love dick tbh.

yes, I know one or two weak women who posted some sobby #metoo shit on the FB but everyone else is facepalming the situation hard. Like are we all fuckkn weak babbies or what? No we’re not, and the ladies are not either.

I know you're trolling, but I still wanted to quote this for the record. You're an idiot for saying it, period.

Do you really believe they love just dick in general? Even Louis C.K.'s dick?

I mean do you really love vagina? If an absolutely perfect vagina was attached to a 242-pound, balding woman, would you love it?

Do you really believe they love just dick in general? Even Louis C.K.'s dick?I mean do you really love vagina? If an absolutely perfect vagina was attached to a 242-pound, balding woman, would you love it?

if she’s nice to me....? not too nice, like not desperate.

I've been a fan of ck for a long time and this just reminded me that he did a segment on O&A forever ago where he manned the phones and did a call-in "self help" thing, and I'm pretty sure he gave advice to one of the callers where he basically told they guy to masturbate to a pretty woman instead of trying to get her to fuck him because it would be more fun. Or something like that. Anyways, how 'bout this weather eh?

sorry, by here I meant Berlin Germany. Party on.

Im not trolling.

If you're not trolling, I'm even more amazed.

Just wanted to make sure someone told you that you were being shitty for devaluing how others chose to deal with their own trauma for the general reason of helping those around them and helping future generations. But yeah, carry on.

It does surprise me because when a right wing person is accuse of similar behavior they go on full on attack, i guess they dont hold people they like to the same standards ugh

Up until now this was their favorite story to tell when the girls meet up and get their drink on.

This is the part where wattmers accuse each other of not knowing any women.

Phling, when I visit Berlin again, I’ll buy you a beer.

Up until now this was their favorite story to tell when the girls meet up and get their drink on.

phling wasn't talking specifically about those two women accusing CK of something they sort of agreed to. His calling out literally everyone using the #metoo thing to try and normalize speaking out about male sexual aggression is what I took issue with. Though not every single person participating is a clear cut case (those specific two women being an obvious gray-area thing), to denounce the entirety of the cause is close-minded and bullshit. I can't help but call out obvious bullshit when I see it.

phling wasn't talking specifically about those two women accusing CK of something they sort of agreed to. His calling out literally everyone using the #metoo thing to try and normalize speaking out about male sexual aggression is what I took issue with. Though not every single person participating is a clear cut case (those specific two women being an obvious gray-area thing), to denounce the entirety of the cause is close-minded and bullshit. I can't help but call out obvious bullshit when I see it.

look I can literally see you sitting in front of your computer gasping for air being outraged at my inhuman and very evil comments and it pleases me.

the social media hysteria is what pisses me off, it’s like a bunch of flies ( actually A LOT of flies) circling a piece of shit topic of the day. Like STFU, bitches? There isn’t really any empathy involved; a huge vortex of retards consuming and creating shit on either side. Fucking waste of energy. the fkn self-importance of it all.... this shit is getting so old so quick.

For the record: I’m a rather empathic guy IRL but this internet shit is just comical.

look I can literally see you sitting in front of your computer gasping for air being outraged at my inhuman and very evil comments and it pleases me.

the social media hysteria is what pisses me off, it’s like a bunch of flies ( actually A LOT of flies) circling a piece of shit topic of the day. Like STFU, bitches? There isn’t really any empathy involved; a huge vortex of retards consuming and creating shit on either side. Fucking waste of energy. the fkn self-importance of it all.... this shit is getting so old so quick.

For the record: I’m a rather empathic guy IRL but this internet shit is just comical.

I'm standing up moving around working on music and checking various things online, chatting with a friend on Skype, all while i listen to tunes and tweak. Also, I'm drinking coffee. Just wanna help your fantasy be more realistic baby. Not gasping for air yet but maybe you can get me there, sugar.

Social media hysteria is in general bullshit, I can agree, but when it's with good reason and for a good cause then some good is maybe going to come from it, so yeah. That's a good thing for humanity, I guess? I dunno. A bit philosophical there. I do know that there's a TON of empathy involved that I've seen personally and publicly, so maybe you're just not looking in the right places or maybe your perspective is clouded, I can't speak to that. There's almost no one I've seen speaking of their experience who was reveling in it or being self important or any such thing. It's happened, I'm sure, but 99% of what I've seen has been earnest and good.

"I'm empathetic." People are using the internet to express what's happened to them IRL...so, maybe you're just focusing on the 'huge vortex' of it all, which it certainly can seem like, but at the end of the day almost all of these people's stories were based on real life encounters. They're just using the breadth of the internet to shed light on it, basically. I do hope you're a generally empathetic person, I'd say it sure doesn't seem like it right now though. But this is online so let's lulz and make fun of bitches and cast huge nets because look at those fucking weak women amirite?

Retards isn't an okay term to use imo either, but you do you.

Archived