IGNORED

louis ck

gritbox

might have something to do with louis being famous and regarded as one of the best stand-ups ever

No one put a gun to her head and made her be a standup

I don’t know about that, going by her sense of humor...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“You think if Louis C.K. jerked off in front of Dr. [Martin Luther] King, he’d be like, ‘I can’t continue this movement? I’m sorry, but the freedom of black people must be stopped. I didn’t know this n— was going to pull his dick out and jerk off like this. I thought we were going to get a couple of drinks and chill.’”

“Show business is just harder than that. Them women sounded like, I hate to say it, they sounded weak,” Chappelle continues. “I know it sounds fucked up and I’m not supposed to say that, but one of these ladies was like, ‘Louis C.K. was masturbating while I was on the phone with him.’ Bitch, you don’t know how to hang up the phone? How the hell are you going to survive in show business if this is an actual obstacle to your dreams? I know Louis is wrong, I’m just saying, I’m held to a higher standard of accountability than these women are.”

IMO it's disturbing that we've developed a sort of persecution culture with twitter. It's like a modern day witch trials. You've got these outside dipshits who recreationally get outraged making out like people should lose their career then disappear out of the public eye for completely arbritary lengths of time. "Louis was only gone for a year that's not enough" - Well then what is enough for you? No length of time is enough for somebody who has their cause to defend. People don't seem to believe in reform. You do something wrong then that's it forever.

I actually feel bad for Louis CK on this one, he's got a bizarre kink which understandably got him in trouble when it came out, but from what I've read he never did any of this stuff in the last 10 years or so when he was actually majorly famous. It sounds like it was from when he was a smaller time nightclub comment, which actually does make a difference. A lot of people made out like he was using his superstar celebrity status to take advantage of women but I've not really read anything to that effect. It all seems earlier on and by all accounts he asked permission to be a bit of a creepy weirdo.

I feel odd defending him admittedly, but the discussion has gotten a little bit blown out of proportion.

In my opinion it's like this:

Guy did creepy thing years ago and got called out on it, leading to international shame and vilification. That's punishment enough. I'm sure he can't even leave the house now without people looking at him like he's dirt. He'll have that for his entire life. It will have affected how his daughters and indeed everybody in his family looks at him. That is easily punishment enough. He's in no danger of doing this to somebody again, he's not going to hurt anybody, he's just going to struggle to get his career back to where it was. Actually it will never get back to that level, but the guy should be allowed to do what he does. If you don't like it, don't go to his shows and don't support him. But also don't go around telling everybody else how they should feel and don't tell people what YOU think the appropriate punishment should be. Just go about your life, save your rage for the people who actually deserve it.

IMO it's disturbing that we've developed a sort of persecution culture with twitter. It's like a modern day witch trials. You've got these outside dipshits who recreationally get outraged making out like people should lose their career then disappear out of the public eye for completely arbritary lengths of time. "Louis was only gone for a year that's not enough" - Well then what is enough for you? No length of time is enough for somebody who has their cause to defend. People don't seem to believe in reform. You do something wrong then that's it forever.

I actually feel bad for Louis CK on this one, he's got a bizarre kink which understandably got him in trouble when it came out, but from what I've read he never did any of this stuff in the last 10 years or so when he was actually majorly famous. It sounds like it was from when he was a smaller time nightclub comment, which actually does make a difference. A lot of people made out like he was using his superstar celebrity status to take advantage of women but I've not really read anything to that effect. It all seems earlier on and by all accounts he asked permission to be a bit of a creepy weirdo.

I feel odd defending him admittedly, but the discussion has gotten a little bit blown out of proportion.

Guy did creepy thing years ago and got called out on it, leading to international shame and vilification. That's punishment enough. I'm sure he can't even leave the house now without people looking at him like he's dirt. He'll have that for his entire life. It will have affected how his daughters and indeed everybody in his family looks at him. That is easily punishment enough. He's in no danger of doing this to somebody again, he's not going to hurt anybody, he's just going to struggle to get his career back to where it was. Actually it will never get back to that level, but the guy should be allowed to do what he does. If you don't like it, don't go to his shows and don't support him. But also don't go around telling everybody else how they should feel and don't tell people what YOU think the appropriate punishment should be. Just go about your life, save your rage for the people who actually deserve it.

Yeah I'm hoping this shit levels out and resets a bit. It's so fucking arbitrary. Trump has openly done things that would of had his career ruined a decade or so ago. Then on the other end Al Franken and Louis CK were promptly excommunicated from the public realm. 

The turning against Aziz Ansari is what really marked the moment in which I actually got pissed at what was going on. Even Louis CK's demise was a bit alarming: what he did was inappropriate and weird, it wasn't on par with Weinstein or Cosby. You can't simply equate wrong things with the same amount of outrage.

People act like you either need to be some anti-PC asshole or some SJW soldier, the world is a lot more nuanced and complicated than that. It's as you either are a saint for some sociopolitical tribe or you are perpetually on the cusp of being ruined career wise. It's like the culture war is just as much a war on "grey area" nuances as it is left vs right or traditional vs progressive.

Yep.

I don't envy anyone who has a weird, outwardly-directed fetish (which if you think about it has got to be a relatively high percentage of comedians) or has habits that otherwise could be construed as creepy, and whose success relies on fame in this day and age.

It's disappointing that Chappelle's examining this from the cultural level and being less than condemning (his acknowledging CK's wrongdoing isn't enough) is being met with outrage. It seems like another symptom of the cultural split that gave us a bigoted, misogynistic, incompetent liar as president.

And I think Chappelle is implying in that quote above the even darker side of the Twitter outrage - it just gives cis men even more power. If you really want to take that power away, unhook your fangs and focus your energy on something more fruitful than demanding reparations. And if you're a comedian, whatever you're trying to accomplish in response to this, it's probably best to do so in a way that's actually, you know, funny.

might have something to do with louis being famous and regarded as one of the best stand-ups ever

No one put a gun to her head and made her be a standup

I don’t know about that, going by her sense of humor...

lol +1

Also great comment Obel, spot on how I feel about the whole thing too.

“I walked away from $50 million. You couldn’t walk away from Louie’s freckled dick?”

How does he know it’s freckled is the real question here.

doesn't change the fact that before all of that his act had become almost viscerally boring

true. heres good comedy now: what if it was louis c... gay. and he fucks his dad

what if he reads a dr lopez post and it's louis see gay

Am i listening to Cum Town rn?

cool how today’s episode was literally called Louis seemsgay

Ronan Farrow has a hard on for bringing famous men down because of Woody Allen. .Granted he's done some good. He looks like he's made of of plastic though

“If someone had heckled him, I think they would’ve been heckled out…It’s the kind of vibe that doesn’t allow for a dissenting voice. You’re just expected to be a good audience member. You’re considered a bad sport if you speak out.”
“Our voice is definitely not going to be prioritized in that space. [Dworman] says we can’t [have a discourse] properly. How do you think the women in that room felt? It’s just really frustrating.”

these people realize they went to a comedy show that no one was forcing them to attend, right? 

they didn't lose their capacity to leave just because it was unannounced. from their pov it would actually make sense to leave in a demonstrative fashion after he got on stage instead of enduring the suffering of listening to the monster who made a few women uncomfortable for a couple of minutes.

Big comedians show up unannounced at the Comedy Cellar all the time to work on new material. Not sure why people couldn’t just get up and leave without posting a rant on Twitter about how they endured such a hardship. And you’re not supposed to have a discourse in a comedy club, dipshits, you’re literally paying someone to talk to you, not with you.

http://gothamist.com/2017/01/12/comedy_cellar_rock_schumer_chappelle_ansari.php

they didn't lose their capacity to leave just because it was unannounced. from their pov it would actually make sense to leave in a demonstrative fashion after he got on stage instead of enduring the suffering of listening to the monster who made a few women uncomfortable for a couple of minutes.

did anyone who was there actually complain? I don't think so, I think they actually gave him a standing ovation instead.

and the idea of a comedy club being a safe place for 'discourse'... lol.

it would be funny if ted bundy was built up as this master manipulator, very suave suit wearing charming man who could get anyone to do anything and then you find out all his victims are just babies he strangled in fits of rage.

Louie spontaneously masturbates, people don't leave. Anger. Louie spontaneously does stand up comedy. People don't leave. Anger. 

What if the funniest man on earth was Ted Bundy on his downtime, but instead of women he strangled babies?

then he’d be hilarious and I wouldn’t know about the dead babbies

Louie spontaneously masturbates, people don't leave. Anger. Louie spontaneously does stand up comedy. People don't leave. Anger.

:cisfor:

Archived