IGNORED

louis ck

gritbox

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:
1 hour ago, darreichungsform said:

Sure, but as someone with egalitarian ideals one should also be careful not to be too much of a buzzkill if you really want to influence people instead of just showing off moral superiority

Yeah I'm not trying to be a buzzkill (failing miserably at that I guess), nor am I in any way morally superior - I make fuck ups all the time. It's an ongoing learning process for everyone I think.

I can relate. I didn't necessarily mean you were a buzzkill here, just generally speaking. I think that critically reflecting upon social norms and questioning them can always turn you into a potentially difficult conversation partner / buzzkill to the point that people don't like the ideas you are promoting because they are annoyed. Which is counter productive. Um, kinda like Zeffolia sometimes, no offense to him

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one time I was at blockbuster looking at movies with my friend and she suggested something but I turned her down saying “no way that looks gay.” I could tell her feelings were hurt and she meekly asked me to not say that. She was a newer friend and I was used to saying gay with my old homies. I would soon learn she was a lesbian. Anyway, I was like 12 years old and I have not used gay pejoratively since. I’m 38. It’s not that hard. 

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Demonstrate

Demonstrate how? We're talking about a hypothetical situation. Words can have different meanings depending on the context. It's up to you to demonstrate that someone who used the term in the former, as you say innocuous manner, also means some other meaning. You can infer this, erroneously or not, but one thing doesn't imply the other. You could ask them, and they might say that yes, the also think gay people are inferior, or they might say that no, one thing has nothing to do with the other.

43 minutes ago, caze said:

Demonstrate how? We're talking about a hypothetical situation. Words can have different meanings depending on the context. It's up to you to demonstrate that someone who used the term in the former, as you say innocuous manner, also means some other meaning. You can infer this, erroneously or not, but one thing doesn't imply the other. You could ask them, and they might say that yes, the also think gay people are inferior, or they might say that no, one thing has nothing to do with the other.

You said it was possible to use "gay" as an equivalent for inferior that somehow also doesn't imply that homosexuals are inferior. Please demonstrate how that is possible.  As gay is a synonym for homosexual, the implication in using it in that manner is that homosexuals are also inferior, whether or not the user intended it. This has real world consequences.

16 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

You said it was possible to use "gay" as an equivalent for inferior that somehow also doesn't imply that homosexuals are inferior. Please demonstrate how that is possible.  As gay is a synonym for homosexual, the implication in using it in that manner is that homosexuals are also inferior, whether or not the user intended it. This has real world consequences.

"Your argument is gay, and by gay I mean bad, not homosexual."

There. If you were to infer that the speaker of such a sentence was implying that homosexuals are inferior it would be an invalid assumption on your part. Someone might erroneously infer your imagined implication, but it doesn't follow logically from the statement itself, it doesn't imply such a thing at all, because words can have different meanings in different contexts, it's the meanings of words that are important not the collection of letters that make them up. In the UK cigarettes are called fags, it similarly doesn't follow that someone asking someone else for a fag implies they think gay people are inferior because fag is also a derogatory term for a gay person.

It's true that people can take things the wrong way and be offended by things, and maybe people should take that into account more often when they use language, especially in certain social contexts, but none of that means that your implication is valid, it's a completely separate argument.

6 hours ago, hello spiral said:

ugh I mentioned to a girl I talk to on IG that I had just dloaded the new Louis CK (it was a natural follow on from our convo that was joking about everything being CANCELLED and I said "speaking of CANCELLED..")

And she instantly SWITCHED and was saying she'd never watch it and he is definitely a predator of Weinstein's level etc etc. At one point went down the 'power dynamic' road and said something like 'no man could ever know the fear a woman feels when walking down a dark alley at night and sees another person approaching'

oh fucking please

I have been in that conversation before, and it never went well at all.

4 minutes ago, caze said:

"Your argument is gay, and by gay I mean bad, not homosexual."

There. If you were to infer that the speaker of such a sentence was implying that homosexuals are inferior it would be an invalid assumption on your part. Someone might erroneously infer your imagined implication, but it doesn't follow logically from the statement itself, it doesn't imply such a thing at all, because words can have different meanings in different contexts, it's the meanings of words that are important not the collection of letters that make them up. In the UK cigarettes are called fags, it similarly doesn't follow that someone asking someone else for a fag implies they think gay people are inferior because fag is also a derogatory term for a gay person.

It's true that people can take things the wrong way and be offended by things, and maybe people should take that into account more often when they use language, especially in certain social contexts, but none of that means that your implication is valid, it's a completely separate argument.

So you are saying that gay is bad? Why do you think gay is a synonym for bad? 

1 minute ago, chenGOD said:

So you are saying that gay is bad? Why do you think gay is a synonym for bad? 

Because it is, this is a fact about the English language.

6 minutes ago, caze said:

what???

Gay is a term that primarily refers to a homosexual person or the trait of being homosexual. The term was originally used to mean "carefree", "cheerful", or "bright and showy"

nvrmnd...

i couldnt care less if someone uses gay the same as they use the word bad. a lot of words people use have lost their meaning and can be used for different contexts. as long as someone doesnt actually hate gay people, even if they use it the same as the word bad im fine with it

Just now, MIXL2 said:

this is a fact about the English language.

nah, it takes more than one person to create a new meaning for a word. he should try his new word out in the wild and see if it catches on.

3 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

but i think the n word can be used without being derogatory... it's like, yo bro sup?

i think it can be used without being derogatory. i personally wouldnt but it is possible

1 hour ago, caze said:

My man, you’re either being deliberately obtuse, or your education has sorely failed you. 

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/tackling_homophobic_language_-_teachers_guide.pdf

When used with a derisive attitude (e.g., "that was so gay"), the word gay is pejorative. While retaining its other meanings, its use among young people as a general term of disparagement is common.[6][41]This pejorative usage has its origins in the late 1970s, with the word gaining a pejorative sense by association with the previous meaning: homosexuality was seen as inferior or undesirable.[42] Beginning in the 1980s, and especially in the late 1990s, the usage as a generic insult became common among young people.[6]

This isn’t a difficult concept. 

Archived