IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

I think I

i didn't either after i had listened to it 2 times through

I think I mentioned it before but I *HATED* Video Club the first time I heard it - It just seemed so obnoxiously hyperactive. For some reason I gave it a second, and a third and a forth listen...then I bought it and just couldn't stop playing it, it was an earworm of the most satisfying kind.

For the record I actually like this album. 

Just didn't see it as 10/10 album of the decade like it was hyped up to be.  :rolleyes:

btw i would say that probably 9/10 of my favorite records ever required *at least* 4-5 plays to even think they were good. SAW II and Gaucho whoo lord I did find these masterpieces annoying and off-putting. Only outlier for me is computer world. vivid memories of pressing play on the CD in 7th grade and within the first 5 seconds understanding this to be something I would be obsessed with forever.

For the record I actually like this album. 

Just didn't see it as 10/10 album of the decade like it was hyped up to be.  :rolleyes:

btw i would say that probably 9/10 of my favorite records ever required *at least* 4-5 plays to even think they were good. SAW II and Gaucho whoo lord I did find these masterpieces annoying and off-putting. Only outlier for me is computer world. vivid memories of pressing play on the CD in 7th grade and within the first 5 seconds understanding this to be something I would be obsessed with forever.

I usually like to get at least 2 full listens. Edit: before making a base opinion I mean. I can tell if I'm going to enjoy something as an album vs sniping tracks off it. I'm not suggesting a release would reveal all it's subtle goodies within 2 listens or anything.

I've listened to TROG a few more times since I made that post but I don't think my opinion has changed much overall. Still enjoy the album to a degree, I think my fav tracks have changed a bit though.

:shrug:

Any of his other releases worth checking out?

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

TROG is such a frustrating album for me. By all accounts VHS Head's stuff should be designed for my tastes but I find the album SO grating to listen to. There are a few tracks I love, specifically Sunset Everett, Gianasi and Remote Control, but the rest are various degrees of samey and annoying. And by annoying I'm specifically talking about the sound itself. I listen to some really abrasive music but something about the album just makes me want to hit the stop button! All the same I find myself returning to it every once in a while, just to see if I come around to it, but in all these years I've not managed to make it from the first to the last track without stopping it out of pure ear fatigue.

FFS

Edited by Obel

I've listened to TROG a few more times since I made that post but I don't think my opinion has changed much overall. Still enjoy the album to a degree, I think my fav tracks have changed a bit though.

:shrug:

Any of his other releases worth checking out?

Stephie, baby, don't feel bad, it's just a matter of taste. You might any number of his other releases, he's got a sound but it's fairly different record to record - Video Club, Midnight Section, POV. There's that other one with the pink cover I wasn't that into but maybe you'll dig that. 

that's how I feel about analord style 'braindance'

LOL. Man I remember when WATMM was completely saturated with this.

Basically you can skip a lot of new releases and just use WATMM analytics alone to decide where the next challenge is. The bigger the fights, the longer the page count, the more interesting the release will probably be. This has been true of TROG, Monolith's "Welcome", most 0pn (although he's moving towards universal acclaim lately), Actress - "R.I.P."...want to think of more but too sleepy

I'm inclined to agree with this, although I'm biased because I was hard on the <3 side for both R.I.P and Replica. Still love those although I don't listen to them as often (those are both clearly summer albums for me now)

I think I mentioned it before but I *HATED* Video Club the first time I heard it - It just seemed so obnoxiously hyperactive. For some reason I gave it a second, and a third and a forth listen...then I bought it and just couldn't stop playing it, it was an earworm of the most satisfying kind.

Same. Maybe that primed me for TROG.

btw i would say that probably 9/10 of my favorite records ever required *at least* 4-5 plays to even think they were good.

Completely agree... I think once you have this experience once, especially with something you think is trash on the first listen, you start developing a "spidey sense" for music that's going to have this effect on you. 

Basically you can skip a lot of new releases and just use WATMM analytics alone to decide where the next challenge is. The bigger the fights, the longer the page count, the more interesting the release will probably be. This has been true of TROG, Monolith's "Welcome", most 0pn (although he's moving towards universal acclaim lately), Actress - "R.I.P."...want to think of more but too sleepy

I'm inclined to agree with this, although I'm biased because I was hard on the <3 side for both R.I.P and Replica. Still love those although I don't listen to them as often (those are both clearly summer albums for me now)

RE: long page count = interest >>> vaporwave thread in a nutshell 

also true of Skrillex TBH - I feel like that whole brostep thing was this Kübler-Ross model of accepting music I don't get or dig as being perfectly ok / giving stuff a chance despite pre-existing gripes about the producer

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

this album rules so fucking hard. watershed piece of IDM, one that just kind of puts into focus a bunch of ideas that had been circulating in the genre and then establishes the terms of the discussion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oscillik said:

I'm hoping we don't have to wait too much longer for the next installment.

Do you know what he meant by this last year (comment at the bottom: 'it's not been easy getting it out'). General pressing plant availability issues maybe ?:

vhs.jpg

7 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Do you know what he meant by this last year (comment at the bottom: 'it's not been easy getting it out'). General pressing plant availability issues maybe ?:

vhs.jpg

Last I heard from Ade was that he was hoping it'd be out by November. All I can say is that as far as I know, the album is done.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

This still hits fuckin' hard.

It's still one of the albums I keep in my regular spin rotation. It's so fucking good, top 10 for me for sure in...I was going to say last ten years but it's older than that.

• Like 1