IGNORED

Shoegaze

Guest Sprigg

Guest ansgaria

I find Alcest to be a lot more melodic than The Angelic Process, which is just overwhelming with layers of reverb and distortion... but not in a bad way at all

Yes, I agree. Angelic Process isn't as dreamy, a bit harder to dive into compared to rest of this thread.

Has Jesu been mentioned in this thread yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyvivohzmus&feature=related

Broadrick is a pretty slick lad, I really like Silver.

• 2 months later...

My personal take on this style of music is that Loveless, Nowhere and the Slowdive albums literally render everything else worthless. I think I've explored almost every early 90s incarnation of this genre and nothing has come anywhere close to the aforementioned. I'd give Lush and Chapterhouse maybe a B or C rating and the Eternal EP has a wonderful song "Sleep" but that's it.

Because they haven't been explicitly mentioned yet...

'Beat' by Bowery Electric...

And 'Quique' by Seefeel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2GWnEc4FEI

Edit: Also 'Doppelganger' by Curve

These are on the more electronic side of things compared to a lot of bands that identify as Shoegaze.

Edited by Sigmund Goid

My personal take on this style of music is that Loveless, Nowhere and the Slowdive albums literally render everything else worthless. I think I've explored almost every early 90s incarnation of this genre and nothing has come anywhere close to the aforementioned. I'd give Lush and Chapterhouse maybe a B or C rating and the Eternal EP has a wonderful song "Sleep" but that's it.

Cocteau Twins?

I'd have Head Over Heels and Treasure right up there with Souvlaki

Cocteau Twins?

I'd have Head Over Heels and Treasure right up there with Souvlaki

Good one, I love CT and JAMC's early 80s output, but I figured I'd not place them in the same lot but think of them as important precursors.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Curve - Pubic Fruit is an often overlooked gem. One of the best imo.

Edited by AcrossCanyons

Guest igloos unlmtd

BE were amazing for a split second then MHTRTC was released..

Also, don't be mistaken.. MBV & Slowdive were good & they made a couple of good albums... But, The Verve - A Storm in Heaven, & Spiritualized 1st 3 albums are right up there with anything by MBV or Slowdive.

Spectrum's Soul Kiss Glide Devine could probably be added to that list with a number of other albums if you gave me enough time to think about it...

BE were amazing for a split second then MHTRTC was released..

What do Bowery Electric have to do with MHTRTC? The closest moments I can conjure relating to shoegazing in BoC's catalog are the unreleased snippet of 'Wouldn't You Like To Be Free?' and the intro to 'Dayvan Cowboy'; though I understand that they cite some prominent shoegaze acts as an influence to their sound.

i think it's been mentioned earlier, and yet, bardo bond's bufo alvarius is a fucking drone psych/shoegaze monster

been listening to it all week

Capillary River! :emotawesomepm9:

Guest igloos unlmtd

What do Bowery Electric have to do with MHTRTC? The closest moments I can conjure relating to shoegazing in BoC's catalog are the unreleased snippet of 'Wouldn't You Like To Be Free?' and the intro to 'Dayvan Cowboy'; though I understand that they cite some prominent shoegaze acts as an influence to their sound.

Bowery Electric weren't really shoegaze. Yes, they sampled their guitars but so did BoC even on MHTRTC. Both bands came after shoegaze & were more into samplers, hip-hop style beats, & ambient textures. The BEAT album is very similar to BoC... After that Bowery Electric tried going a little more poppy (Freedom Fighter), but it was still downtempo electronic music with female vocals.

I like Bowery Electric & remember Beat being released on Kranky. But after I got into BoC, I listened to it less often.

Edited by igloos unlmtd

Here's a rundown of my favourites:

Early 90s Brit indie:

Slowdive - their first three eps

Chapterhouse - Whirlpool

Flying Saucer Attack - Flying Saucer Attack

90s American stuff:

Swirlies - Blonder Tongue Audio Baton

Lilys - In the Presence of Nothing

Black Tambourine - Complete Recordings

Henry's Dress - Bust em Green

Newer stuff:

Spotlight Kid - Departure

Ravenonettes - Lust Lust Lust

- Chain Gang of Love

Honourable mentions:

Verve - A Storm in Heaven

Manhattan Love Suicides - Burnt Out Landscapes

• 2 years later...

Manhattan Love Suicides - Burnt Out Landscapes

Surprisingly good band for nu-gaze. This is their best track imho:

This is another good nugaze band, as far as I know they released one EP then vanished but I don't really keep up with indie shit anymore so who knows: