IGNORED

IDM vs BRAINDANCE

Guest Fatcaesar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm neutral toward the term IDM, don't like it or hate it. I don't think it's necessarily pretentious either. At this point you kinda understand what it's describing, but really it's vague and can fit anything that feels 'off-genre' to other established genres sounds.

Braindance I actually like as a descriptor and think it's better than IDM and more colorful. It just says "You don't dance to this physically but you dance mentally" and not imply "this is for intelligent people whereas other kinds aren't."

I also like Braindrain and Braindunce music. What are they? Idk. but I like them. I guess it's kinda like post-modernism to.... modern..ism.

Record stores back in the day (Sweden) put a lot IDM in the "Leftfield" section while techno and house fitted in the "Dance/Club" section.

In my mp3 collection I would label almost everything "electronic" except 90's 00 emerging stuff like Autechre, Afx, Warp, Skam, Planet Mu etc. which wolud go "IDM" proper.

Is Foodman, Bullion or Sam Kidel IDM? nah

Brainwaltzera i would label IDM though ironically enough

btw. fuck "electronica"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived