IGNORED

Big Loada / Burningn'n Tree

superstix

Wow, are we already on Week 4?! Let's listen to Big Loada and the Burningn'n Tree compilation.

51RSPSuIwfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Above is the album cover for Warp's original release of Big Loada, but I actually have the U.S. version released by Nothing Records with extra tracks. Here is some info from Wikipedia regarding the differences between the two.

The original Warp Records edition tracklisting consists of:

1. "A Journey to Reedham (7.am mix)" – 6:35

2. "Full Rinse (featuring MC Twin Tub)" – 2:23

3. "Massif (Stay Strong)" – 6:26

4. "Come On My Selector" – 3:24

5. "The Body Builder (Dressing Gown mix)" – 3:02

6. "Tequila Fish" – 6:09

7. "Jacques Mal Chance (Il N'a Pas De Chance)" – 0:48

Nothing Records edition:

The Nothing Records version features a rearranged tracklist with additional tracks unavailable in the U.S. at the time (Warp Records had not opened their American division yet, and arranged to release some of their material through Nothing):

1. "Come On My Selector" – 3:24

2. "A Journey to Reedham (7.am Mix)" – 6:35

3. "Full Rinse (featuring MC Twin Tub)" – 2:23

4. "Massif (Stay Strong)" – 6:26

5. "The Body Builder (Dressing Gown Mix)" – 3:02

6. "Tequila Fish" – 6:09

7. "Jacques Mal Chance (Il N'a Pas De Chance)" – 0:48

8. "Port Rhombus" – 6:41

9. "Problem Child" – 5:43

10. "Significant Others" – 3:28

11. "Lone Ravers (Live in Chelmsford Mix)" – 5:01

12. "The Barn (303 Kebab Mix)" – 2:11

* "Come On My Selector" music video (CD-ROM track only)

The rearrangement of the tracks is to highlight the "Come On My Selector" video, directed by Chris Cunningham (whose work also includes videos for Aphex Twin, Autechre, and Björk), and which was included on the re-release. Tracks 8, 9, and 10 make up the full Port Rhombus EP, Jenkinson's first release on Warp. Tracks 11 and 12 are two B-sides to the "Vic Acid" single (although the G7000 mix of "Fat Controller" was not included on this release).

This edition has modified cover artwork as the prominent Warp Records logo had to be removed.

Some Nothing Records versions of Big Loada are actually copies of Budakhan Mindphone that have been incorrectly packaged and labelled.

41PPGCHR4PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Paraphrased from Wiki (because I couldn't have said it better myself):

Burningn'n Tree... compiles two early EPs, namely Conumber E:P and Alroy Road Tracks, which were both released under his other pseudonym Duke of Harringay on his independent label Spymania. Burningn'n Tree also contains three previously unreleased compositions by Squarepusher. The album is a fusion of high speed breaks and jazz. Burningn'n Tree names all songs after their respective track index, but many of the songs were titled when released previously; those titles are parenthesized below.

Track listing

1. ("Central Line") – 3:57 (from Alroy Road Tracks)

2. – 4:08

3. ("Nux Vomica") – 7:57 (from Alroy Road Tracks)

4. ("Eviscerate") – 4:33 (from Conumber E:P)

5. – 3:20

6. ("Male Pill Part 5") – 8:03 (from Conumber E:P)

7. ("Sarcacid Part 1") – 5:56 (from Alroy Road Tracks)

8. ("Conumber") – 11:01 (from Conumber E:P)

9. – 1:27

10. ("Eviscerate Version") – 7:12 (truncated version from song on Conumber E:P)

11. ("Toast For Hardy") – 9:23 (from Alroy Road Tracks)

12. ("Sarcacid Part 2") – 5:05 (from Alroy Road Tracks)

A Journey to Reedham (7 A.M. mix) is so good! The melody is perfect for repeating over and over without wearing itself out. Feels like riding on a train and watching the sun rise over the hill up ahead - a perfect start to a new day.

Massif (Stay Strong) is lovely as well. I just adore this stuff. Drill n Bass is so much better when there's a beautiful melody floating about. :)

That said, I do like how harsh and schizo The Body Builder (Dressing Gown Mix) is.

Big Loada overall has a nice balance of crazy cutup drums and soothing lead, and is a very enjoyable listen from front to back.

His Spymania stuff was so good. The bass solo in Sarcacid Part 1 is one of his best. I've been trying to figure out what is being said at the begininng of Eviscerate for a while.

"Spymania bringing you Squarepusher. Alroy Road Tracks, Duke of Harringay. ????????????????"

Actually just recently I starting looking up other Spymania stuff out there. There's some really good albums (MDK-Open Transport, both the Spymania Allstars releases). I've also determined that the Hardy who Tom is making toast for is most likely Hardy Finn AKA Hardy Spymania AKA MDK AKA Wafta AKA Barry Psuedonym. Haha.

while i won't ever go so far as to declare 'burningn'n tree' my favorite sp release, it's damn close to it. this album oozes sentimentality and just a slight amount of roughness that's sublime to mine ears. not to mention super-jazz (see sarcacid pt. 1). even his stuff like 'male pill pt. 5' is just excellent. it's tough to name favorites on this one but i fund myself listening to the first and third 'unreleased' tracks continuously. and i won't even start to breach the enormity of 'toast for hardy' and 'conumber.'

there's something in sp's earliest works that agrees with me heartily. i love this album.

as far as big loada goes, 'tequila fish' rules the roost. i am very envious of those synth lines.

should probably stop now, otherwise this could go awhile. 2 of my favorites albums period, let alone by this one artist

I've also determined that the Hardy who Tom is making toast for is most likely Hardy Finn AKA Hardy Spymania AKA MDK AKA Wafta AKA Barry Psuedonym. Haha.

MDK = Martin

Hardy = Barry Pseudonym

Martin + Hardy = wafta

Guest no carrier

* scratches nuts *

true story: i stumbled across the vic acid 12" in the drum'n'bass section of one of my local record stores. i was so stoked to have it i literally walked out of the store staring at the record muttering "i've got vic acid... i've got vic acid!" i went across the street to get a gatorade and was followed into the store by some random guy. he cornered me in the back of the store and proceeded to tell me that i ripped him off the last time i saw him and i owed him some cheap hits right fucking now otherwise he was going to kick my fucking ass. i'll take undercover cops for $500, alex.

the record didn't deter him, as shortly thereafter he was outside of the store with another person or two pointing at me through the window. i timed it so right as i walked outside i nabbed a cab and GTFO.

thank you, squarepusher.

post-8591-072073200 1281738619_thumb.jpg

Burningn'n Tree.... A Squarepusher CLASSIC some thoughts while listening to this at full volume on the road.

Central line....... funky 70's jazz riffs over killer amens.... not to be fucking sniffed at

Untitled.... more bizzaro-world jazz from TJ Hooker

Nux Vomica.......classic squarepusher breakdown of percussion and breaks through his jazz-bass-slap-technology. Got to love that incessant triangle sound too

Evicerate.........amazing depth and melody through mostly just percussive elements

Untitled (2).....massaged by Toms might string pucking and drum fucking

Male pill party 5.......... Similar to above my Evicerate description..... Tom lashes out the pounding drums with a sqweet acid line adding to the machine gun hits

Sarcacid pt 1..... more jazzy TV-show melodies from the 70's. A bit Hill-street blues/Cagney and Lacey.... a bit fucking jungle

Conumber...........rips the shit out of more amen breaks with the bass funk sleeping underneath powering it all

untitled (3)..... oh too short jungle blitz

Eviscerate [Version]....the theme of the album continues with this sweet chopped up jungle piece. Loely use of broken breaks

Toast for Hardy... weird litte slap-bazz track to bring you right down after the jungle assault

End us on some gorgeous meoldies, snare rushes and an injection of signature percussion/bass breaks why don't you.

Don''t forget that Oval did a really fucked up remix of the entire Big Loada release for warps "10+3" remix cd....

It's the glitchiest most non recognisable remixes ever,using Ovals signature CD-skipping effects but I really love it and think that it has tons of emotion and melancholy.

http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=73

much of big loada is played live at the "liquid room 1997" set along with HND material------ get that fucker and play it loud and be there

Note: Toms screaming on "massif"... truly amazing stuff

• 9 years later...

Archived