IGNORED

MPC 1000/2500

soundwave

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MPCs are great machines. They're not really the same thing as grid controllers. Whether or not you should buy one depends on what you want to do with the device.

MPCs are great machines. They're not really the same thing as grid controllers. Whether or not you should buy one depends on what you want to do with the device.

methinking inny and outy with my G2

would be tricky to do with software and a grid controller

but then again has the MPC (like most hardware samplers) had it's day and will I'll be left with a door stop in a couple of years?

would be tricky to do with software and a grid controller

but then again has the MPC (like most hardware samplers) had it's day and will I'll be left with a door stop in a couple of years?

mpcs are def here to stay

I've got a 2kxl. The thing is indestructible. I can't speak for the newer models, but you could play the pads on this thing with a hammer and it would be fine. The only problem I have with it is that it's got a slow processor. On the newer models, that's not a problem.

For me, it comes down to inspiration. My computer is infinitely more powerful, but I hate making music on it. I have to get a lot more creative on the MPC to make shit sound good, so that side of my brain gets more of a work out.

Also... my MPC has never once failed on me. Nothing kills your motivation more than "Logic has unexpectedly quit."

Like I said, it all comes down to what you're looking for and how you work.

Guest nuclearaddict

I've thought about selling my MPC100 on multiple occassions, but I always come back to it. It's great for on-the-go beat production and it's not a bad midi controller. Maschine's will fade away long before MPCs ever will. I wouldn't go out and buy one unless you know what you want out of it. If you just want to make shitty 95bpm hip-hop beats than don't even bother, but if you're down to get creative than have at it.

Guest Laughable Butane Bob

The 2500 is a great cornerstone device in my studio. The filters/effects aren't great. I'm using the free version of JJOS.

i use an mpc 1000 (JJ os2) with a nord G2.

in my opinion, these two bits of kit were made for each other. each ones strengths is the others weakness so they compliment each other perfectly. they both work great together via MIDI & the multiple audio in/outs that each one has. really can't go wrong with this combination.

g2 handles the synths, crazy sound design, fx, etc.

mpc handles all the note & cc sequencing, changing sequences & muting tracks on the fly, changing in/out routings of individual sounds, and of course, the sampling.

the great thing is that you can also sequence the mpc FROM the G2, so you can build much more abstract/flexible sequencers in the G2 if you want to do some more evolving/generative type stuff.

i use an mpc 1000 (JJ os2) with a nord G2.

in my opinion, these two bits of kit were made for each other. each ones strengths is the others weakness so they compliment each other perfectly. they both work great together via MIDI & the multiple audio in/outs that each one has. really can't go wrong with this combination.

g2 handles the synths, crazy sound design, fx, etc.

mpc handles all the note & cc sequencing, changing sequences & muting tracks on the fly, changing in/out routings of individual sounds, and of course, the sampling.

the great thing is that you can also sequence the mpc FROM the G2, so you can build much more abstract/flexible sequencers in the G2 if you want to do some more evolving/generative type stuff.

cheers dude this is exactly the answer i was after and your on the same tree i'm barking up

lots of mixed reports with the mpc1000 but for what they go for now next to a decent laptop+live+launchpad+decent soundcard then......

yep. mpc1000 is really immediate. nice interface with the pads & the sequencer to just bang something out really quick and get good results.

simple enough that you are not lost in menus and complexity, yet just enough depth to go off the beaten track if you want and do some intricate stuff and figure out a way to get what you want out of it.

biggest problems with it are the 32 voice polyphony, lack of advanced sample mangling, & the limited & not so great fx, but this is exactly where the G2 comes in. :smile:

if you do get the mpc, i highly recommend you get JJ os2. it's a big step up from os 1, and os 2xl (the one after it) is buggy and too processor intensive & tends to bog the machine down, plus lacking some great features from os 2. lurk the mpc forums for a while and you'll see whats up.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

MPCs seems like really fun eventually intuitive devices but these days have a nice midi controller with lots of key with & a lotta knobies, a 16 pad high quality completely customizable rhythm unit all of which can be assigned to control nearly an audio software/percussion VST/9 layers of advanced well orchestrated synth VSTs/days of potential insanely dynamic effects you can download is too limitless.

The future is now, you can do so much amazing things with nice hardware controlling software its fucking heaven.

If you don't want to muck around with making sure you have a good computer (and possibly a backup computer for insurance performing live) and all the complex experimentation required to perfectly optimize your controllers to do what you want with your software on the fly.. than an MPC is great, convenient, reliable and if you load them up ambitiously you can definitely do some complex as it seems.

but again if you have enough ambition and money MPC definitely can seem outdated

the MPDs don't have any groove. they're just midi controllers. they're pad banks with a few sliders and knobs, but don't offer any sequencing.

the NI maschine is the closest thing to a full-featured MPC replacement (and is quickly becoming the centrepiece of a classic hip-hop feud) - it offers similar sequencing and workflow elements on the software side, and allows you to control pretty much every aspect of that from the hardware, without having to touch the mouse or look at your monitor.

in terms of portability, the MPC is probably easier to work with, although i still maintain that a macbook and maschine weigh less than most MPCs.

neither one is better, IMHO... i get exhausted hearing people extoll one over the other. but as most have said here, it depends what you want to do.

the mpc1000 is really the piece of kit I'd kill for. The idea of such a flexible hardware sequencer with an intuitive feel is really alluring. One day I will own one, but for now the $1000+ is too much to ask (I think used ones are more like 600 or so)

Archived