IGNORED

The Future Sound of London - From The Archives Vol. 6

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

This is not very accurate yet, but i think you should know that brian from FSOL posted on his youtube account two samples of upcoming tracks for the sixth volume of From the archives series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b25_6rYD0zk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1SnLUfeZAo&feature=related

good to see the guys are keeping stuff coming. enjoy these

Guest ruiagnelo

Thankx alot ruiagnelo ! anything by FSOL is very welcome listening. Mmm, sounding great !

no problem mate.

i have been exploring this FSOL unofficial webpage and spotted that in the news.

i am loving the second one, altough it seems to be small and a little repetitive, as i assume it's just a sample, it's the FSOL atmosphere i love. really looking forward to it!

Excellent... will be visting that site again.

Glad to see the old masters releasing on a regular basis. There's nothing like turning the lights off kicking back and diving into the FSOL atmosphere !

Glad you're liking the site, sometimes I do wonder how many people see it as it has a tendency to drop down the Google listings on a regular basis.

Hm, yes, Archive 6. I'm hoping it's as strong as volume 5, which worked fantastically as a consistently good album, as opposed to the earlier volumes which were 50/50 in terms of quality I though. Then Departed is ace. Another track called Switzerland leaked late last year which was very good I recall.

Guest ruiagnelo

Glad you're liking the site, sometimes I do wonder how many people see it as it has a tendency to drop down the Google listings on a regular basis.

Hm, yes, Archive 6. I'm hoping it's as strong as volume 5, which worked fantastically as a consistently good album, as opposed to the earlier volumes which were 50/50 in terms of quality I though. Then Departed is ace. Another track called Switzerland leaked late last year which was very good I recall.

The site is wonderful. It's clear, has all the relevant info we need and keeps us updated.

I am doing a From the archives marathon, as i got very happy with the coming of vol. 6, and a couple of the releases are inconsistent a sense that they weren't made up from scratch to act as a whole, they are nothing more than collections of old tracks which were given an order, but can't work as an album. in that sense, from my point of view, they are enjoyable and justifiable. the quality of the tracks, however, is undoubtedly good in general terms.

i can't find anything on that switzerland track, do you have any links?

EDIT: do you have any connection to the unofficial site? like admin or something?

EDIT: do you have any connection to the unofficial site? like admin or something?

purlieu made the site entirely himself (the forum link goes to my site though). Yeah that place is a great little resource !

Yeah, I've spent countless hours working on that page, I'm still not 100% up to date with the song info page and the live section is embarrassingly out of date. It's all worth it though as I get news from Brian and Gaz has provided me with photos in the past.

Archives 1-3 I find do have some real clunkers, some really boring half-finished sounding tracks like Nuru Device Send, and entirely unnecessary stuff like I A I A I A I A. But of course there's Lizzard Crawl, Long Shadows, Cellular Control and so on which are just wonderful. I think they were put out to test the water with FSOLDigital, Volume 4 was more concise, and the last few tracks had some FSOLish segues, and this proved popular which is what I think led them to make volume 5 much more 'complete' sounding as a record.

Guest ruiagnelo

Yeah, I've spent countless hours working on that page, I'm still not 100% up to date with the song info page and the live section is embarrassingly out of date. It's all worth it though as I get news from Brian and Gaz has provided me with photos in the past.

Archives 1-3 I find do have some real clunkers, some really boring half-finished sounding tracks like Nuru Device Send, and entirely unnecessary stuff like I A I A I A I A. But of course there's Lizzard Crawl, Long Shadows, Cellular Control and so on which are just wonderful. I think they were put out to test the water with FSOLDigital, Volume 4 was more concise, and the last few tracks had some FSOLish segues, and this proved popular which is what I think led them to make volume 5 much more 'complete' sounding as a record.

i respect the work you have done. along with discogs its the most complete source of info about FSOL.

after listening again and with more attention to vol.5 of the archives i acknowledge it is very consistent, almost like a studio album. i really enjoyed listening to it as a whole while in the other releases i am always tempted to skip until i find that specific song. you know the feeling.

Very much so, it's a very well constructed record, I hope volume 6 continues in this vein.

And cheers, it's always good to know people appreciate the site! :)

Like to add my thanks too.. as a big FSOL fan i'm finding the website very useful and interesting! Seems to me also that now FSOLdigital is in full swing that the latest releases have more of a complete sound rather than being bolted together compilations.. 'Environments' 3 for example.

Thanks again for your excellent hard work purlieu :)

• 3 weeks later...

MP3 only at the mo, CD in the future. Giving it a listen, some really old (pre-Lifeforms) tracks in there, and a couple of creepy ambient tracks so far. Jelly Legs is unlike anything they ever released. It's really... fun.

Guest ruiagnelo

MP3 only at the mo, CD in the future. Giving it a listen, some really old (pre-Lifeforms) tracks in there, and a couple of creepy ambient tracks so far. Jelly Legs is unlike anything they ever released. It's really... fun.

Nice. Can't wait to give it a listen! thank you for updating the thread mate ;)

The only way I can describe this release is 'weird'. It starts off quite playfully, but as it goes on there are some very, very strange and experimental bits in there. It has some ambient moments which seem more suited to the Environments series. Overall it's a lot more electronic than the other Archive records, without the percussive/breaks bits they seemed to have in abundance. The rhythmic elements here are very electronic sounding.

Strangest of all was that I could have listed probably 40 known tracks that could have appeared on this album, and only two of them were there. Dougans and Cobain might have recorded more music than all other musicians ever.

Oh, and it's good. Not as good as volume 5, but I'd say 7/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived