IGNORED

Bioshock Infinite

Rubin Farr

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stalker games are a good example of good combat system, they require accuracy and some tactics rather than auto aiming on intractable objects and bludgeoning retarded ai with aoe-ish weapons. it is disappointing to see this from such a high profile game.

The problem with the shooting isn't to do with aiming. The problem is that the guns don't seem to have any real impact, maybe there's a slight delay between the shot and the person reacting but it doesn't have the impact that makes you think "BAM! I shot that guy!". It just needs tightening up.

It isn't about graphic violence either, it's an animation thing. There's a certain sweet spot when it comes to shooting that a lot of games miss. Maybe it's the scripted animations?

I've not played Bulletstorm but from that video I think you know exactly what I mean. It's one of those tiny details, more of a psychology thing on the part of the developers than anything else.

I remember seeing this video a while back, before the release of Zelda Twilight princess when they talked about the sound placement in their games. The sound in question being the chime when you solve a puzzle, they messed about with it a great deal and basically found this sweet spot when the sound plays after solving a puzzle which was most satisfying to hear as a sense of achievement. It's a minor thing but it's these little touches in gameplay that resonate with gamers, without you even realising it.

Braid is one of my favourite games because everything in it was put there solely for the reason that it feels and sounds good. It's one of the most satisfying games to play. I think this sweet spot is something that's missing from the Bioshock Infinity trailer.

[/nerd]

strangely annoying.

and in terms of satisfying sound design, the sound of things being dug in minecraft and popping out of the ground has to rank up there with the greats.

(scratch scratch scratch *pop!*)

Gameplay trailer looks very cool, an original idea for a FPS. Bioshock hasn't let me down yet and it looks like they brought a lot of new concepts to the table with this one.

I'll watch that interview later. However I just realized that the Bioshock Infinite -chick's disney-face bothers me quite a bit. It's a little too cute and her eyes are just a tad too enormous. I guess they were trying to make her super-pretty-and-cute so that you would care about her. But why not make me care about a normal human being, like Heather from SH3. She was charming because she was a little beaten up and spotty looking.

Haha, funny you mention that because my friend Natalie was the body model for the character of Elizabeth, she also does the voice acting. That said, they cartoonified her a lot and it doesn't look anything like her. Still, going to be weird to hear my friend's voice in a video game!

well THAT'S fucked up! I think I remember thinking how her voice wasn't fitting in with the Disney-bit. I won't be able to play the game neutrally now. But that's okay, will make it cooler.

I think I saw some video from the E3 that was pretty much the same stuff like last year's 10 minute gameplay demo, only with worse graphics, and that was quite a letdown ... or did I dream that? I can't watch that new video from last page, it's laggy as hell on my PC. Kinda sad how a PC that was the shit in 2004 now can't even play back a pre-rendered video properly.

why can't they just make a perfect game.

They did

image0091.png

Guest rumbo

I finished Bioshock twice. Never got around to playing Bioshock 2, but I heard it was more of the same. Which isn't bad, I just can't be arsed. I will wait for BI.

I finished Bioshock twice. Never got around to playing Bioshock 2, but I heard it was more of the same. Which isn't bad, I just can't be arsed. I will wait for BI.

Same. Bioshock no way warranted a sequel though.

Guest Sprigg

Agreed.

Bioshock 2 was Bioshock 1 with a drill and overall better combat, but some absolutely terrible level design (popper's drop) and a mediocre story that left me more annoyed at the person I was trying to save than wanting to help. The girl was a living :facepalm:

I did like the ending sequence though, slaughtering Big Daddies endlessly was fun.

Agreed.

Bioshock 2 was Bioshock 1 with a drill and overall better combat, but some absolutely terrible level design (popper's drop) and a mediocre story that left me more annoyed at the person I was trying to save than wanting to help. The girl was a living :facepalm:

I did like the ending sequence though, slaughtering Big Daddies endlessly was fun.

I thought it was alright. The gameplay was better and for some reason there seemed to be more strategy involved with the combat. The story was alright but it seemed kinda classic to introduce a philosophy (altruism) that is completely the complete opposite of the one (objectivism) that was introduced in the first game. I mean, 2K Marin, or whatever they're called, kinda just did what was expected of them and that's it. I would have loved to see another philosophy as fucked up as objectivism in BioShock 2, but instead went for the safe approach and went, 'hey, let's introduce the direct opposite of the original philosophy and let's see what happens'.

I think it is obviously being rendered on a high end system but that most of this is real gameplay(with some god-mode cheats in order to progress past some of the gunfights more quickly). This is the original bioshock team isn't it, not the bioshock 2 team? I'm excited to see what kind of world they come up with. Seems much more cinematic than the original, but I'm really interested in what the more exploratory gameplay is going to look like. The rail riding looks like a fun diversion from the normal on ground action, an interesting way to travel and reposition yourself to different cover in gunfights. The "tearing" concept seems a little gimmicky, but if they have good writing I could see it being pretty cool, especially if we are able to divert to completely different worlds in order to solve puzzles in the overworld.

I think it is obviously being rendered on a high end system but that most of this is real gameplay(with some god-mode cheats in order to progress past some of the gunfights more quickly). This is the original bioshock team isn't it, not the bioshock 2 team? I'm excited to see what kind of world they come up with. Seems much more cinematic than the original, but I'm really interested in what the more exploratory gameplay is going to look like. The rail riding looks like a fun diversion from the normal on ground action, an interesting way to travel and reposition yourself to different cover in gunfights. The "tearing" concept seems a little gimmicky, but if they have good writing I could see it being pretty cool, especially if we are able to divert to completely different worlds in order to solve puzzles in the overworld.

Yeah, seemed to me to be in some sort of god mode. Also he didn't seem to be that bothered about accuracy in taking down the enemies, nor the importance of cover.

If you were playing that level naked, you wouldn't know where to go, nor what to do. Like who would have figured out, without much heartache at least, how to get up to that zeppelin, looks like a nightmare.

Guest Sprigg

Agreed.

I thought it was alright. The gameplay was better and for some reason there seemed to be more strategy involved with the combat. The story was alright but it seemed kinda classic to introduce a philosophy (altruism) that is completely the complete opposite of the one (objectivism) that was introduced in the first game. I mean, 2K Marin, or whatever they're called, kinda just did what was expected of them and that's it. I would have loved to see another philosophy as fucked up as objectivism in BioShock 2, but instead went for the safe approach and went, 'hey, let's introduce the direct opposite of the original philosophy and let's see what happens'.

I agree that it was the next logical step story-wise, and I did like the dichotomy there. I just have gripes with the presentation, specifically with the Eleanor character. The combat was definitely a bit deeper and fast-paced, although I felt like the drill and machine gun both lacked proper punch (I know I know, upgrades). Otherwise, as long a I was getting to nail people to walls with spears, I was happy enough. Critical as I am of a few areas, I beat the first game four times, and the second three.

On a related note, a couple friends of mine are making a D&D-style tabletop rpg out of Bioshock. They're writing down every item, character and poster (if they can't find info online), researching weapons and technologies manufactured shortly before Rapture would have been built, printing out map layouts of rapture. From what I understand it'll be pretty in-depth, with things down to playing music that would be playing out of jukeboxes in whatever rooms have them... It's either going to be :trashbear: or :braindance:

Archived