Bioshock Infinite

Rubin Farr

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Holy. Shit.

Does it follow the Bioshock 1 or 2 storylines at all? It doesn't appear to...

I've seen the first 5 minutes of BioShock Infinite and there are some references to BioShock 1 but I think it's merely easter egg references than anything else. But I'm pretty sure it will deal with another philosophy just like BioShock did - maybe progressivism?

Well, as long as the characters are memorable (which they already seem to be judging from the 5-6 trailers they've released) then I don't give a toot about the story. I already know the name of the girl in the game and I can't tell you how many times I've left the theater not knowing what the name of the main character was.

Also, before the game was officially announced it was called Project Icarus, so yeah, it's probably another story about some crazy leader who wants to take mankind beyond the stars but fails miserably... also, time travel.

Looks like fascism (yet again)?

American Exceptionalism, so basically the same thing.

This game is going to be mediocre btw, mark my words.

Guest Mirezzi

Looks like fascism (yet again)?

American Exceptionalism, so basically the same thing.

This game is going to be mediocre btw, mark my words.

Right, it looks like the generic dystopian universe ideologically speaking, but the art is quite nice.

You are probably right though, you fucking cynical JERK! :wub:

I think this game is gonna be great, it's the original Bioshock team working on it, and it seems Ken Levine has put a lot of effort into improving the gameplay over the first one. There was an AMA on reddit where he talked a lot about what his goals to improve this one over this first one were and the thought processes that went into it, it gave me a lot of hopes for the game. The art-direction looks awesome.

Holy. Shit.

Does it follow the Bioshock 1 or 2 storylines at all? It doesn't appear to...

Actually it precedes the first Bioshock by 48 years. I don't believe there's any plot connection between Infinite and the first two games, but no one outside of Irrational Games is certain thus far.

Guest Mirezzi

Actually, Bioshock and There Will Be Blood have a lot in common.

They're both excellent at a sort of generic, aesthetic surface-deep level. However, once you spend a few minutes peeling back the top layer, they fall apart. With Bioshock, it was a lack of gameplay; with TWBB, it was a lack of story. I think in both, the reach exceeded the grasp.

With that said, the quote from Ken Levine has me simultaneously scared and excited.

Actually, Bioshock and There Will Be Blood have a lot in common.

They're both excellent at a sort of generic, aesthetic surface-deep level. However, once you spend a few minutes peeling back the top layer, they fall apart. With Bioshock, it was a lack of gameplay; with TWBB, it was a lack of story. I think in both, the reach exceeded the grasp.

With that said, the quote from Ken Levine has me simultaneously scared and excited.

I agree but I think the lack of story/gameplay bit is a bit exaggerated. But yes those would be the weakest points. Both have superb atmosphere, solid themes, but TWBB does lack in an emotionally gripping story and Bioshock 1 had some pacing problems with how its gameplay progressed over the story.

Guest Mirezzi

Agree with both of you and my little argument above is definitely thin. If I had time or interest, I'd expand on my thoughts, but I think you get where I'm coming from which is good enough for a message board. lol

I still need to re-visit TWBB, because as most of you know, I was totally meh about it in 2007.

• 1 month later...

Archived