IGNORED

Favorite Val Kilmer movies

Guest Jackson Michaels

The Saint, just because my mate played the younger version of him at the start of the film. Apparently he was a cool guy and would always talk to him about how awesome the batmobile was.

• Like 1

real genius

Real Genius is a strange exception to the 'movies you didn't see in your childhood therefore you don't understand the appeal' phenomenon

I can't think of any other 80s movies like it that i have been able to appreciate this much in my twenties

agreed. after becoming educated in engineering / chemistry / physics and watching the movie again, the vast majority of the "science talk" in the movie is believable, meaning not total mumbo jumbo shit movie talk.

• Like 1

there was another movie that either came first or was trying to ride the Real Genius coattails, have you seen the Manhattan Project? There were a few movies now that i think about it that involved some flavor of kids getting wrapped up into government conspiracy/espionage, cloak and dagger, the one with the chimp and Matthew Broderick. Those movies from my memory kind of suck in comparison.

hells yea, real genius all the way. absolute classic.

Here is a self portrait of me and one of my prized posessions -> 15137_849794487879_820414_48855603_5247104_n.jpg

Yes... that is the soundtrack. I spent years hunting it down.

lol. i love when that pinto blows up in top secret. i watched that just as much as kentucky fried movie and amazon women on the moon.

there was another movie that either came first or was trying to ride the Real Genius coattails, have you seen the Manhattan Project? There were a few movies now that i think about it that involved some flavor of kids getting wrapped up into government conspiracy/espionage, cloak and dagger, the one with the chimp and Matthew Broderick. Those movies from my memory kind of suck in comparison.

haven't seen either of those, that i can recall. there are a ton of 80s movies that i've seen as a kid but can only remember bits and pieces. real genius stuck with me though, and when i was telling my wife we should buy it while shopping the other day, there it was in the bargain bin for $5!

One of my favorite parts in Top Secret is when some black dude comes out of nowhere and gives Chocolate Mousse a high five. "My man!"

Every part in that movie is my favorite part. It may be my favorite movie.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...

This will be interesting even if you're not into Kilmer imo. The fact that he's captured so much slice-of-life on camera across 40 or more years has the potential to be awesome. I'm afraid this could be a swan song of sorts as well though I certainly hope not.

Edited by xxx
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Burger 1

Hyped for the doc, looks like great fun.

Edited by Silent Member

Rewatched The Doors a few days ago. Impossible for me to dislike, just took me back like being in a rose tinted time machine to when I was 14 or 15. Discovering The Doors and Apocalypse Now simultaneously was a zenith experience for me at that early time in my life. 

Also rewatched Heat a few months ago, man that film has aged well. So good. But was it the rose tinted telescopic effect? Not sure. 

• Like 1

I'm always reminded that Kilmer memorized all of The Doors lyrics by heart and sent videos of himself singing the songs to Oliver Stone - and he actually sings all of the songs in the movie as well. If that's not impressive, nothing is.

Heat is a fucking diamond of a movie, one where guns actually sound like guns and not special effects, the cast couldn't be better and the execution of the whole is well nigh flawless.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcom said:

Heat is a fucking diamond of a movie, one where guns actually sound like guns and not special effects, the cast couldn't be better and the execution of the whole is well nigh flawless.

Yeah agree. To be honest I thought Heat  was even better this time round. I remember watching it at the pictures and thought it was good but I was blown away this second time. Amazing film. 

Edited by beerwolf

On 7/9/2021 at 2:58 AM, xxx said:

This will be interesting even if you're not into Kilmer imo. The fact that he's captured so much slice-of-life on camera across 40 or more years has the potential to be awesome. I'm afraid this could be a swan song of sorts as well though I certainly hope not.

there was a similar one by Soleil Moon Frye recently, she was a video camera addict as well, and captured her era of late 80s-early 90s young Hollywood

poster.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:58 PM, xxx said:

I actually pulled up this thread with a search the other day to post the new  Val trailer but didn’t follow through, like so many other things in my life. Glad you did! 
I was also thinking about sharing this…

Cannes Film Festival: ‘Val,’ ‘The Velvet Underground’ and Famous Jerks

Two documentaries take different approaches to their star subjects. One, about the actor Val Kilmer, prefers to be hands-off. The other, about Lou Reed, welcomes complications.

spacer.png
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/08/movies/cannes-film-val-velvet-underground.html?searchResultPosition=1

The 2nd part of the article reminded me of the single greatest onion headline of all time…

New Liver Complains Of Difficulty Working With Lou Reed

spacer.png
https://www.theonion.com/new-liver-complains-of-difficulty-working-with-lou-reed-1819575068

On 7/9/2021 at 12:15 AM, Satans Little Helper said:

… but I'm surprised there's no mentions of Top Gun and Rocky IV in this thread…

Tom Cruise Maverick GIF by Top Gun

Um. Hate to break it to you but Val Kilmer wasn’t in Rocky 4. That was dolph lundgren. Similar hairstyles, but that’s really it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Um. Hate to break it to you but Val Kilmer wasn’t in Rocky 4. That was dolph lundgren. Similar hairstyles, but that’s really it. 

FLOL

True. They completely morfed into the same person in my memories. Been a while since ive seen rocky. More than 25 years. Easily. Thats my excuse for making a poopoo of myself. ?

Val=Dolph!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

bad_lieutenant_port_of_call_new_orleans_

b0b9d749970f7f903c86fdc13dcc34db_XL.jpg?

For a flop as big as the Doctor Moreau remake, it made its way into our pop culture. Modern Family had probly its funniest episode when Cam became Moreau on Summer vacation, only to have his muumuu ripped off and had to run around naked. It also gave us these two classic South Park characters:

ACE90CF2-6BA2-4289-808B-D9F88D7C4EC1.jpeg

721CE787-169D-49F4-9BD4-06031E7401BD.jpeg

flip image.jpg

• Thanks 1