IGNORED

Brian Eno - Small Craft on a Milk Sea

Guest extherium

Guest ruiagnelo

im a huge brian eno fan but the 2 tracks i heard so far, errr.. dont like them at all. weird that warp is spending so much money on packaging for really weak records.

it's brian eno we are talking about here, they will eventually get their money.

i believe this can be a nice business move from warp, if they are clever enough to know how to do it.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im a huge brian eno fan but the 2 tracks i heard so far, errr.. dont like them at all. weird that warp is spending so much money on packaging for really weak records.

we are talking about the itunes previews of all songs already

yeah but vinyls and warp cds were mostly bad or pointless, this album sounds good, real good

so by that logic, you'll spend £60 just for 320Kbps MP3s?

now thats ridiculous

iles arent collectables

I like the vinyl package so I will buy the cheap vinyl. but I am not in a hurry

cheap vinyl?

at £60 it is worse value for money than the Warp20 box set. let's recap exactly what you get for your money:

£60 Eno

2x12" 180 gram vinyl edition of the album (15 tracks).

1xCD of the album (15 tracks, same as the vinyl).

1xBonus CD (4 tracks, exclusive to the limited editions {including the £250 Eno}).

"High Quality" Lithograph artwork printed on thicker-than-the-girth-of-your-penis Mohawk® Superfine stock.

Audiophile quality downloads so you can pontificate about being able to hear those extra 8 bits of audio.

All of this presented in a "rigid" slipcase with printed and foil-blocked cover and spine.

£85 Warp20

2xCD Warp20 Chosen (23 tracks)

2xCD Warp20 Recreated (20 tracks)

1xCD Warp20 Elemental (13 tracks, exclusive to this set)

3x10" Warp20 Unheard (11 tracks)

2x10" Warp20 Infinite (50 locked grooves, exclusive to this set)

1xBook Warp20 (1989-2009) The Complete Catalogue (exclusive to this set)

320Kbps MP3 download of the Warp20 Unheard (since Warp pulled a fast one and decided to release this as a CD after the boxset)

All of this presented in a "rigid" slipcase with printed cover.

considering the amount of people that were complaining about the lack of value for money that the Warp20 box set was, there should be more people complaining about this.

had there been a standard edition of the Eno on vinyl, i wouldn't feel so vehemently angry over this. it wouldn't even have had to be a 180 gram pressing.

fuck you Brian "£250" Eno

lol you always make me think about stuff again. as you did with the tuss

plus I had a look at some new pictures of how handmade everything is:

BE_Screen_5.jpg

he is using his hand aaaaand done:

BE_Screen_6.jpg

yeah but vinyls and warp cds were mostly bad or pointless, this album sounds good, real good

so by that logic, you'll spend £60 just for 320Kbps MP3s?

now thats ridiculous

iles arent collectables

but you said yourself, "yeah but vinyls and warp cds were mostly bad or pointless, this album sounds good, real good"

so you're alluding to the music itself being the major factor in you making a purchase. ergo, what does collectability have to do with it?

buy the overpriced physical edition, by all means, but don't delude yourself into thinking that it's "worth it because of the music", because if that was the case you would gladly drop £60 for just 'iles' (sic)

I like the vinyl package so I will buy the cheap vinyl. but I am not in a hurry

cheap vinyl?

at £60 it is worse value for money than the Warp20 box set. let's recap exactly what you get for your money:

£60 Eno

2x12" 180 gram vinyl edition of the album (15 tracks).

1xCD of the album (15 tracks, same as the vinyl).

1xBonus CD (4 tracks, exclusive to the limited editions {including the £250 Eno}).

"High Quality" Lithograph artwork printed on thicker-than-the-girth-of-your-penis Mohawk® Superfine stock.

Audiophile quality downloads so you can pontificate about being able to hear those extra 8 bits of audio.

All of this presented in a "rigid" slipcase with printed and foil-blocked cover and spine.

£85 Warp20

2xCD Warp20 Chosen (23 tracks)

2xCD Warp20 Recreated (20 tracks)

1xCD Warp20 Elemental (13 tracks, exclusive to this set)

3x10" Warp20 Unheard (11 tracks)

2x10" Warp20 Infinite (50 locked grooves, exclusive to this set)

1xBook Warp20 (1989-2009) The Complete Catalogue (exclusive to this set)

320Kbps MP3 download of the Warp20 Unheard (since Warp pulled a fast one and decided to release this as a CD after the boxset)

All of this presented in a "rigid" slipcase with printed cover.

considering the amount of people that were complaining about the lack of value for money that the Warp20 box set was, there should be more people complaining about this.

had there been a standard edition of the Eno on vinyl, i wouldn't feel so vehemently angry over this. it wouldn't even have had to be a 180 gram pressing.

fuck you Brian "£250" Eno

lol you always make me think about stuff again. as you did with the tuss

plus I had a look at some new pictures of how handmade everything is:

BE_Screen_5.jpg

he is using his hand aaaaand done:

BE_Screen_6.jpg

yeah i had a quick look at his site for that. here is a quote:

TWO WEEKS AGO BRIAN SPENT TWO DAYS AT K2 SCREEN STUDIO, LONDON OVERSEEING THE CREATION OF THE 250 PRINTS FOR THE COLLECTORS' EDITION. THE WORK IS A PRINT APPLICATION OF THE GENERATIVE ART THAT BRIAN HAS BEEN DEVELOPING THROUGHOUT HIS CAREER. EACH PRINT IN THE EDITION IS CREATED FROM AN INDIVIDUAL ARRANGEMENT AND COMBINATION OF SCREEN-PRINTED LAYERS. THE IMAGES, ALIGNMENT AND COLOURS WERE CHANGED SYSTEMATICALLY THROUGH THE PRINTING PROCESS TO CREATE THE 250 UNIQUE PRINTS.

so, even though Warp and Bleep would have you believe that he did them all himself, it would appear that he actually hasn't don't them all himself. Pretty sure it would take more than 2 days to make 250 of these things. also that quote specifically uses the word 'overseeing' rather than 'making' or 'creating'.

Do we know for sure that they're exclusive? I wouldn't be surprised if three of those tracks are the same ones as on the Rough Trade version, and the fourth is the same as the iTunes bonus track. (Just speculating.)

im alluding to the difference of owning a really good album on a format that ill probably use forever vs just having the mp3 files which shows no extra value compared to someone who is gonna pirate them. if i like something, I want to own, not have the files any average joe has, u get me? Its like having a picture of a poster on ur computer vs. having a fucking poster.

so, even though Warp and Bleep would have you believe that he did them all himself, it would appear that he actually hasn't don't them all himself. Pretty sure it would take more than 2 days to make 250 of these things. also that quote specifically uses the word 'overseeing' rather than 'making' or 'creating'.

it's all semantics, i guess. how many modern artists oversee how their work are being set-up in different musea? or what do you think of architects "creating" buildings? the fact that eno hasn't literally crafted all the artwork doesn't make it any less special, imo. it's just semantics. don't get too excited about it.

Do we know for sure that they're exclusive? I wouldn't be surprised if three of those tracks are the same ones as on the Rough Trade version, and the fourth is the same as the iTunes bonus track. (Just speculating.)

you have a point there...i'm not sure that the 4-track bonus CD is an exclusive. Knowing what Warp have been like lately, i'd be more inclined to think not.

im alluding to the difference of owning a really good album on a format that ill probably use forever vs just having the mp3 files which shows no extra value compared to someone who is gonna pirate them. if i like something, I want to own, not have the files any average joe has, u get me? Its like having a picture of a poster on ur computer vs. having a fucking poster.

lol make your mind up then - your original statement talks about the value of the music, as opposed to the quantity of music / physical product.

you have a point there...i'm not sure that the 4-track bonus CD is an exclusive. Knowing what Warp have been like lately, i'd be more inclined to think not.

lol make your mind up then - your original statement talks about the value of the music, as opposed to the quantity of music / physical product.

lol if hudson mo did this id probably laugh my ass off and pirate all the way to the bank, but if I ended up really loving the music, Id buy it. The combination of the eno packaging looking fucking cool and the music sounding amazing so far is enough for me to warrant a purchase. Not gonna lie in saying I probably owe this man some money for some other albums hes released. :whistling:

Guest Scrambled Ears

horse sounds like another green world took a hit from the crackpipe and can only see black and white vibrations streaming from the walls

edit: im excited for this release but i think it would go down better if warp isnt so up their ass about it...i mean the 2nd collectors edition is such a load of shit

oh man....did he tap into my mind and say, "Yeah ok. I can do this for you." This record, so far, feels like he is personally appealing to everything I love about music in general.

MAN ! I didn't found this release very interesting yet (mainly because I didn't wanted to spend more money for CDs this mounth :emotawesomepm9: ) but this track really changed my mind ! Curious to hear another samples (2 Forms Of Anger was enjoyable but nothing totally :wtf: )

MAN ! I didn't found this release very interesting yet (mainly because I didn't wanted to spend more money for CDs this mounth :emotawesomepm9: ) but this track really changed my mind ! Curious to hear another samples (2 Forms Of Anger was enjoyable but nothing totally :wtf: )

exacly my thoughts. this is the only one really good track so far imho. But i love it very much.

im excited for this release but i think it would go down better if warp isnt so up their ass about it...i mean the 2nd collectors edition is such a load of shit

Considering the trouble they went to with the Oversteps vinyl (on top of the Warp20 box), I think it was inevitable after they snared Eno. Hard to imagine them 'just' releasing a CD and vinyl in this case really.

exacly my thoughts. this is the only one really good track so far imho. But i love it very much.

That track is utterly gorgeous. Probably the finest piano piece I've heard since 'Plateaux Of Mirror' or 'The Pearl'.

Infact, listening to the samples, it seems like the album is an attempt to please all fans.

'Bone Jump' sounds like something from his Koan days on 'The Drop'.

'Slow Ice, Old Moon', 'Calcium Needles' and mist strikingly 'Lesser Heaven' hark back to earlier ambient days. 'Lesser Heaven' sounds like Eno circa 86 when he was writing for installations like 'Contemporary Data Lounge'.

Archived