IGNORED

clark

Guest theSun

No, I like Clark's music quite a bit - ETBOY was on heavy rotation in my house when it came out, and Turning Dragon was the only release I felt he faltered a bit. One thing about his music (post ETBOY) is it becomes "forgettable" - by that I mean the initial amazement of the track is there, and then it very quickly wears off and is forgotten, and loses it's appeal, somehow (to me). I might have to fire up a Clark playlist to see if my feelings are the same and I still feel that way towards his post-ETBOY output.

While I wasn't around for the release of any of it except Totems Flare, I feel that one is less forgettable for some reason, or maybe I just ate it up.

this makes me feel old because i remember the new signing announcement on warp's old site and then ordering clarence park. :cry:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing about his music (post ETBOY) is it becomes "forgettable" - by that I mean the initial amazement of the track is there, and then it very quickly wears off and is forgotten, and loses it's appeal, somehow (to me).

agreed.

Yeah Totems Flare sounds a bit too happy (colourful?) in comparison to his older work. Showing that kind of diversity is important but an artist has to limit their pallette a bit otherwise you lose that point of reference and relevance. I'm really left scratching my head after his last album, whereas for Turning Dragon I was initially taken aback and confused by the rough, violent production... now there are so many moments where I'm like "I need this brutal shit NOW!", and it never lets up.

Guest Backson

One thing about his music (post ETBOY) is it becomes "forgettable" - by that I mean the initial amazement of the track is there, and then it very quickly wears off and is forgotten, and loses it's appeal, somehow (to me).

agreed.

you guys are all nuts.

ETBOY was enjoyable, but it was still very much just following the footsteps of many before him. He found his sound on Body Riddle, and proceeded to make two more varied well designed albums within his blueprint that sounded like nothing else on earth.

obviously I'm hugely biased (especially since I'm not fan of oldschool IDM), but I couldn't empathise with someone who finds Body Riddle and beyond forgettable.

we all know if clark was any good, he would have his own subforum.

I wonder if joyrex has the same opinion on him as he has on snares. which turned out to be quite right as I have been a hardcore snares fan back then and now he does not deliver anymore. so today I am in the same amount a clark fan so lets hope it will not turn out the same as it did with snares and joyrex is wrong this time :emotawesomepm9:

on the other hand its hard to say if the compression can stand the wheel of time even so its totally awesome right now

No, I like Clark's music quite a bit - ETBOY was on heavy rotation in my house when it came out, and Turning Dragon was the only release I felt he faltered a bit. One thing about his music (post ETBOY) is it becomes "forgettable" - by that I mean the initial amazement of the track is there, and then it very quickly wears off and is forgotten, and loses it's appeal, somehow (to me). I might have to fire up a Clark playlist to see if my feelings are the same and I still feel that way towards his post-ETBOY output.

Yeah I had the same experience that after listening on high rotation they became boring after a while so I stopped but now they have a really fresh feeling to them again

While I wasn't around for the release of any of it except Totems Flare, I feel that one is less forgettable for some reason, or maybe I just ate it up.

this makes me feel old because i remember the new signing announcement on warp's old site and then ordering clarence park. :cry:

Around meaning I wasn't really into much of this nature at the time. Albeit I was only 9 when Clarence Park came out.

Guest theSun

anyone following the joyrex suit for musics appreciation should note that he doesn't recognize the majesty of late-era autechre.

he's spot on about snares tho.

just realized i don't have the newest clark.

agreed.

you guys are all nuts.

ETBOY was enjoyable, but it was still very much just following the footsteps of many before him. He found his sound on Body Riddle, and proceeded to make two more varied well designed albums within his blueprint that sounded like nothing else on earth.

obviously I'm hugely biased (especially since I'm not fan of oldschool IDM), but I couldn't empathise with someone who finds Body Riddle and beyond forgettable.

I'll agree that after ETBOY he did find his own unique sound (he even alluded to that in interviews that ETBOY was going to be the last release of his that sounded like that and he was going in a new direction. Don't get me wrong - Body Riddle was (and is) a great album, I particularly didn't like the brutality of Turning Dragon, and I feel he returned to form with Totem's Flare, but again, once the initial amazement wears off, the tracks become very forgettable (especially the melodies, which I can still recall melodies from Clarence Park and ETBOY quite clearly in my mind). Again, need to go have a listen again, and see if that's still the case.

anyone following the joyrex suit for musics appreciation should note that he doesn't recognize the majesty of late-era autechre.

he's spot on about snares tho.

just realized i don't have the newest clark.

True - anything from Confield to Untilted just bores me to tears - however, I fucking LOVE Oversteps and Move of Ten - THAT was a return to form for AE more than even Clark with Totem's Flare.

Around meaning I wasn't really into much of this nature at the time. Albeit I was only 9 when Clarence Park came out.

:cerious:

:pedobear::cisfor:

Guest no carrier

if there was one clark song to convince me that i need to listen to more clark, what would it be?

don't pussyfoot around with a list, i simply ask for the one. you know what it is.

if there was one clark song to convince me that i need to listen to more clark, what would it be?

don't pussyfoot around with a list, i simply ask for the one. you know what it is.

TED of course!

Guest theSun

REALLY fuking digging turning dragon

shit

ache of the north and penultimate persian are obvious standouts to me

Guest Backson

Outside Plume

because once you hear that, you'll know that you need to hear the rest of Totems Flare.

Archived