IGNORED

another new album thread

jules

so the anticipation is always at a fevered pitch with boc. are you afraid it cant possibly live up to your expectations? do you hope they move even further with their sound or have more of a return to form?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

i am pretty sure they will show up with decent music, i can't really imagine the opposite.

but i am not expecting past approaches or a return to earlier sounds. they have changed a lot in The Campfire Headphase and i expect a new change as well in records that there are yet to come (?).

i just hope, really HOPE they are done with guitars already

Guest Ricky Downtown
"...Probably next time around all the fakes will include wobbly guitars like the ones we use on the new album The Campfire Headphase (laughs)."

i hope they've moved past deliberately trying not to be pigeonholed. boc don't do guitars very well. i wouldn't like a MHTRTC 2 or a Geogaddi 2, but something unique, and hopefully it's still got that familiar boards texture to it, know what i mean? basically i just want a new boc sound without the brothers worrying what people will think of it.

I'm tellin' ya, it's gonna be world music influenced big time. Sitars, tablas, didgeridoos, and what the hell, maybe one of these for good measure: guimbarde.jpg

*twang!*

Guest bitroast

i want something psychedelic to lose myself into. (autechre's latest offering's have been quite generous in this regard) :)

Please not another guitar based album. The Campfire Headphase was a major disappointment for me. I understand there are some that liked it, I'm just not one of them. I never really thought it was because of the guitars necessarily, but now looking back this may have played a role in that album being so forgettable. I played it for maybe a week before basically losing interest in it.

It'll sound like everything else they've ever done, except maybe possibly shittier.

I'm tellin' ya, it's gonna be world music influenced big time. Sitars, tablas, didgeridoos, and what the hell, maybe one of these for good measure: guimbarde.jpg

*twang!*

I agree with both of these

i just got to say, if boards or aphex twin or any of these big warp artists that are supposed to release an album this year better hustle it cause it's almost september...

Please not another guitar based album. The Campfire Headphase was a major disappointment for me. I understand there are some that liked it, I'm just not one of them. I never really thought it was because of the guitars necessarily, but now looking back this may have played a role in that album being so forgettable. I played it for maybe a week before basically losing interest in it.

i just got to say, if boards or aphex twin or any of these big warp artists that are supposed to release an album this year better hustle it cause it's almost september...

Guest tht tne

i miss the magic that was possible on mhtrtc and geogaddi... campfire headphase was more of a concession to new fans than an a real album... boc 4 lyfe

it doesn't take long to print, press and distribute an album if it's been finished and mastered already...

i miss the magic that was possible on mhtrtc and geogaddi... campfire headphase was more of a concession to new fans than an a real album... boc 4 lyfe

i liked the fact that campfire was folky. something i'd describe their earlier releases but those ones not quite as folky as headphase. saying that, i may not understand what they are doing with the procession of releases but i think all have a boards of canada feeling.

personally i'd love to hear more glicthes like mhtrtc and same sample play but with guitars and acoustic instruments over top

They'll probably head more down the organic/physical instruments route as they did with TCH, but definitely away from guitar. I think they did the best they could with the guitar in regards to the emotion they pulled off with. Satellite Anthem Icarus and Chromakey Dreamcoat in my opinion are pinnacles of their work with guitar, so I definitely would agree that they would move on with guitars.

But the question remains - will they continue to experiment with organic elements in their tunes or expand more on their ambience and mood that they exhibited so well throughout their discography. Both? Maybe I'll just have to wait 'n see :boc:

I agree with the first part but I'm not sure TCH was a concession to new fans, I just think it was more self-consciously "BoC." From some of their interviews at the time it was clear they had become more self conscious about "the BoC sound" and found it confining - hence their desire to remove all samples of children's voices from TCH. However I'm not sure they had a clear idea of what direction to go in. I seem to recall that for TCH Mike and Marcus disagreed more about what direction to take their music in than on any other album.

The tough thing about life is you can never recapture un-knowing-ness, yet BoC founded their sound on this, the mix of inchoate feelings and self-projected fantasies present in childhood (and also in drug use). But now they're famous, and have moved on to fatherhood and other things. I'm sure it's increasingly difficult to recapture the mindset of wild redmoon nights and a time before fat checks from Warp started to arrive. Very hard not to get hackneyed and start repeating yourself, taking the easy way out.

Out of all the warp idm artists it doesn't surprise me Autechre remain the most prolific; they've always had more of a fast-paced "fuck you" attitude towards everyone, which I think is self-protective and breeds longevity (Aphex is the same, but he's only one dude and hence more likely to disappear up his ass after a bad trip). But BoC (or at least Mike) seem more disposed towards paranoia and sensitivity.

I think BoC will release more music eventually, but it will continue the folksy, softer, and yet more production-polished trend present in TCH. I agree they might jettison the guitars, but I think it will be world-music-y. Not quite Shpongle, but somewhere in the same zone. No idea if it will be any good.

For the record, I liked TCH a lot, it is my most-listened-to BoC. Though the thing I would like most from them would be a continuation of the magic on ABPOITC and some of the tracks from the live sets - brilliant hypnotic soulful minimalism - but I think it will be impossible for them to recapture that.

I agree with the first part but I'm not sure TCH was a concession to new fans, I just think it was more self-consciously "BoC." From some of their interviews at the time it was clear they had become more self conscious about "the BoC sound" and found it confining - hence their desire to remove all samples of children's voices from TCH. However I'm not sure they had a clear idea of what direction to go in. I seem to recall that for TCH Mike and Marcus disagreed more about what direction to take their music in than on any other album.

The tough thing about life is you can never recapture un-knowing-ness, yet BoC founded their sound on this, the mix of inchoate feelings and self-projected fantasies present in childhood (and also in drug use). But now they're famous, and have moved on to fatherhood and other things. I'm sure it's increasingly difficult to recapture the mindset of wild redmoon nights and a time before fat checks from Warp started to arrive. Very hard not to get hackneyed and start repeating yourself, taking the easy way out.

Out of all the warp idm artists it doesn't surprise me Autechre remain the most prolific; they've always had more of a fast-paced "fuck you" attitude towards everyone, which I think is self-protective and breeds longevity (Aphex is the same, but he's only one dude and hence more likely to disappear up his ass after a bad trip). But BoC (or at least Mike) seem more disposed towards paranoia and sensitivity.

I think BoC will release more music eventually, but it will continue the folksy, softer, and yet more production-polished trend present in TCH. I agree they might jettison the guitars, but I think it will be world-music-y. Not quite Shpongle, but somewhere in the same zone. No idea if it will be any good.

For the record, I liked TCH a lot, it is my most-listened-to BoC. Though the thing I would like most from them would be a continuation of the magic on ABPOITC and some of the tracks from the live sets - brilliant hypnotic soulful minimalism - but I think it will be impossible for them to recapture that.

i agree with all 5 of these paragraphs

i agree with all 5 of these paragraphs

agreed about the autechre perspective. I also felt that when I talked to them @ warp20 they are very nice but don't care much about other artists or opinions on their music which is nice

Guest Calx Sherbet

*twang!*

i'd like all of that! maybe throw in zithers or steel pedal guitar

i don't think there will be a new BoC album anytime soon. definitely not this year anyway.

maybe next year.

but my money's on early 2012.. or late 2011. i'll take 2 bets. :)

just thought i'd throw that into the mix.

Guest Spittal

I think the time a band releases an album is a very important... Maybe they want to wait until winter in the northern hemisphere, because that time of year will compliment the album the best.

For some reason I doubt it's a summer-y album.

Archived