IGNORED

the beatles

Guest tht tne

Guest Fatcaesar

Great band, i never enjoyed them as young but they grew over me.

Best album must be sgt. pepper, abbey road, Yellow submarine!

the best place to do so is the past masters compilation, which has all sorts of non-album goodness on it

excellent stuff. those past masters are great. i got nothin but love for the beatles

don't think i've heard a beatles track i didn't like but i find it pointless listening to them in 2010. their immense influence makes them a kind of irrelevant, i just know (yeah, right) i'll hear nothing innovative or groundbreaking or experience anything truly new listening to them because most probably i've already experienced it somehow anyway. it's crazy, music shouldn't be that influencing.

actually, unlike nearly everything else, they're rated exactly as they should be.

So you think that the music the Beatles made is the best music that has ever been made? Because thats the hype I hear.

Guest Wall Bird

don't think i've heard a beatles track i didn't like but i find it pointless listening to them in 2010. their immense influence makes them a kind of irrelevant, i just know (yeah, right) i'll hear nothing innovative or groundbreaking or experience anything truly new listening to them because most probably i've already experienced it somehow anyway. it's crazy, music shouldn't be that influencing.

It must be great being a music lover/musician and not having to worry about the rich history that preceded your contemporary favorites. Also; why shouldn't any one music have a huge influence?

By the way, I wouldn't bother listening to 'The Rite of Spring' since you can simply pretty much pick up on everything Stravinsky did through other musicians' work.

i think the hugeness of their influence on pop and rock music can be a bit of a millstone for some people; it lurks in the back of their mind and prevents them from appreciating the beatles for themselves, as just great fucking music.

actually, unlike nearly everything else, they're rated exactly as they should be.

So you think that the music the Beatles made is the best music that has ever been made? Because thats the hype I hear.

it isn't really hype when something is an established, nearly fifty year old act. hype just isn't the right word at all. and no, i don't personally think it's the best music ever made. i've never heard anyone say that.

actually, who is hyping the beatles? the nme? lol

it's a bit like saying tolstoy is overhyped.

and i can understand someone not liking them. they are, as kaini pointed out, a milestone. their songs have bled into the collective consciousness and listening to a lot of the more known tracks seems almost pointless, like listening to lullabies or nursery rhymes. but it's a bit daft to say they're overrated.

it isn't really hype when something is an established, nearly fifty year old act. hype just isn't the right word at all. and no, i don't personally think it's the best music ever made. i've never heard anyone say that.

actually, who is hyping the beatles? the nme? lol

it's a bit like saying tolstoy is overhyped.

Ok hype is the wrong word.

To quote the OP

best band ever imo sir george martin incl.

When people say such things, and Ive heard plenty of people say it. How can they not be overrated?

EDIT: I do actually like The Beatles though. Revolver gets quite a spin.

Well, there's certainly no one band I could point to and say "those guys are better than the Beatles". There are probably a few other bands like that, I'm sure...? Though Beatles are the obvious and immediate example that springs to mind. It's like I would never say singer X is better than Billy Holiday, or trumpet player X is better than Miles Davis. Once an artist is at that level there's not really much point in trying to argue that someone else is better. No one did what Beatles did better than the Beatles did it, and there will never be another band that does what they did. When it comes to artists who for the most part are just aping another better known artist's style without bring anything new to the table, that's a different story. So yeah, I wouldn't ever say The Beatles weren't the best band in the world. But I also wouldn't say The Beatles were better than Jimi Hendrix because it just wouldn't make any sense.

By the way, I wouldn't bother listening to 'The Rite of Spring' since you can simply pretty much pick up on everything Stravinsky did through other musicians' work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJxxJpWcTGA

DUKE OF PRUNES

i said millstone:millstones%204-8-08%2026001.jpgit's a big heavy weight

It would totally suck if you had to carry that weight a long time, and nobody ever gave you a pillow.

saying any band is the best band ever is fuckin stupid

i seriously couldn't answer the question 'what is your favourite band?' or 'what is the best band ever?'

questions like that are reductive and dumb.

Archived