Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Wonky is an extremely intellectual subject
My brow is furrowed in contemplation

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts
  • 177 topics
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:i lika pupies

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

Loving Wonky

Zomby's ‘Kaliko’ is a remarkably complex, sophisticated piece of music. It can be read as an essay in the duple-vs-triple metrical tension of dub, and as such it thoroughly deserves to be considered ‘hyperdub’ after the record label it was put out on. The kaleidoscopic play of constantly rolling textures in expanded tonality reminds me of nineteenth- and twentieth-century études or studies, especially those composed by avant-gardist György Ligeti. It can also draw comparison with the work of Ives and Carter, central African polyphony, experimental gamelan and especially the early modernist polyrhythms and cascade-like figures of Stravinsky in works like The Rite of Spring.

‘Wonkification’ is a psychedelic new modernism that can’t be dismissed as ‘pulp avant-garde’ (perhaps, as Dan Hancox suggests, British club music is in the midst of a ‘revolutionary ferment’, albeit partially). Like its six-hundred-year-old counterpart the ‘ars subtilior’, ‘wonky’ manifestly deserves to be called a ‘more subtle art’ - more subtle than some were expecting.

Wonky as Transversal Rave

Even further, the very notion of “wonky” itself is a deeply slippery idea. Sometimes it indicates de-quantised drums (as in Flying Lotus, Lukid, and other post Dilla beat-artisans) sometimes pitch-bent synth and bass work (Joker, Starkey, Rustie), sometimes a maddening rush of 8 Bit arpeggios (Zomby, Ikonika, Rustie again). Wonky is not so much a genre unto itself. Instead it operates as a kind of trans-generic mutational agent, spreading seamlessly between bpm species, liquidating textures, distending rhythmical consistency like so much manipulable sonic sticky toffee: All that is solid melts into a new electronic psychedelia, as fluid and mellifluous as the globalised capitalism which spreads it.

We might think of Wonky as operating as a vector transversal to genre, a transversal analysis in-itself operating beyond merely a postmodern genre-game. Rather than a pick and mix approach to generic materials, wonky is strategically applied to pre-existent genres, not as an adhesive but as a liquefying agent... [cf perhaps Negarestani's rotting objects?]... a making strange... not in the sense of hauntology's unheimlich-home, but in the deliquescent informational fluidity and interoperability of late capital, the strangeness of a blooming irridescant corpse, (not a spectre) a sonic embodiement of its distributive ground.

Wonkitecture
Posted Image

Most obviously, the buildings literally look wonky. They bend, they twist, they appear to collapse or leap, their masses shift and cantilever – put simply their forms appear “out of place, out of key and misshapen” to borrow from Alex SBA.
Second, recent architecture has been awash in bright colour due to increasing whimsy on the architects’ behalf as well as advances in synthetic cladding. This calls to mind the common synesthetic tendency to associate the multi-textured and pitch-bent synths of wonky with bright day-glo colour.

A final parallel could be seen between the overall extravagance and visual sensation of these buildings and the dramatic arpeggios of a producer like Zomby. The rapid climb of notes in Kaliko (painstakingly transcribed by RF here) is akin to the dramatic oblique ascent of windows on Gehry’s Stata Centre, the twisting beams of Calatrava’s Turning Torso or the interior of Libeskind's Denver Art Museum.

hell yeah

Edited by Salvatorin, 03 September 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#2 autopilot

autopilot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • 273 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

Listening to Zomby is infinitely more fun than reading some pompous douchebag masturbate all over his word processor.

#3 Guest_Jimbob_*

Guest_Jimbob_*
  • Guests
  • 5 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

lol

#4 Ego

Ego

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • 177 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

lol

#5 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts
  • 293 topics
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

No way. This is really cool.

#6 Guest_Gbiscuit_*

Guest_Gbiscuit_*
  • Guests
  • 293 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

Browsing through the... 'article' I first thought this was a satire of a hipsters approach to this sort of beast.

And then I read the comments.

#7 Guest_disparaissant_*

Guest_disparaissant_*
  • Guests
  • 218 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

why did i even TRY to read that?

cack > wonk

#8 Guest_hahathhat_*

Guest_hahathhat_*
  • Guests
  • 218 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

i always thought of "wonky" as a particular mood, one akin to using a multimillion dollar super computer to balance your checkbook.

"spaceship" off of mouse on mars's "radical connector" is pretty wonky. @1:50 the wonk gets heavy

here is some wonky of mine

#9 Guest_Gbiscuit_*

Guest_Gbiscuit_*
  • Guests
  • 177 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

I always thought of it as pretty good music.

Am I doing it wrong?

#10 Guest_hahathhat_*

Guest_hahathhat_*
  • Guests
  • 255 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

i had no idea there was enough to make a post that long (which i have not read).

it's just a word i heard somewhere and started using. i vacuum up a lot of words and i could be confused, but i recall using wonky before 2008.

synonyms i'd give it: quirky, goofy, whimsical, over the top like those chair dances at a jewish wedding

#11 John Ehrlichman

John Ehrlichman

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • 218 topics
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Loving Wonky

Zomby's ‘Kaliko’ is a remarkably complex, sophisticated piece of music. It can be read as an essay in the duple-vs-triple metrical tension of dub, and as such it thoroughly deserves to be considered ‘hyperdub’ after the record label it was put out on. The kaleidoscopic play of constantly rolling textures in expanded tonality reminds me of nineteenth- and twentieth-century études or studies, especially those composed by avant-gardist György Ligeti. It can also draw comparison with the work of Ives and Carter, central African polyphony, experimental gamelan and especially the early modernist polyrhythms and cascade-like figures of Stravinsky in works like The Rite of Spring.

‘Wonkification’ is a psychedelic new modernism that can’t be dismissed as ‘pulp avant-garde’ (perhaps, as Dan Hancox suggests, British club music is in the midst of a ‘revolutionary ferment’, albeit partially). Like its six-hundred-year-old counterpart the ‘ars subtilior’, ‘wonky’ manifestly deserves to be called a ‘more subtle art’ - more subtle than some were expecting.

Wonky as Transversal Rave

Even further, the very notion of “wonky” itself is a deeply slippery idea. Sometimes it indicates de-quantised drums (as in Flying Lotus, Lukid, and other post Dilla beat-artisans) sometimes pitch-bent synth and bass work (Joker, Starkey, Rustie), sometimes a maddening rush of 8 Bit arpeggios (Zomby, Ikonika, Rustie again). Wonky is not so much a genre unto itself. Instead it operates as a kind of trans-generic mutational agent, spreading seamlessly between bpm species, liquidating textures, distending rhythmical consistency like so much manipulable sonic sticky toffee: All that is solid melts into a new electronic psychedelia, as fluid and mellifluous as the globalised capitalism which spreads it.

We might think of Wonky as operating as a vector transversal to genre, a transversal analysis in-itself operating beyond merely a postmodern genre-game. Rather than a pick and mix approach to generic materials, wonky is strategically applied to pre-existent genres, not as an adhesive but as a liquefying agent... [cf perhaps Negarestani's rotting objects?]... a making strange... not in the sense of hauntology's unheimlich-home, but in the deliquescent informational fluidity and interoperability of late capital, the strangeness of a blooming irridescant corpse, (not a spectre) a sonic embodiement of its distributive ground.

Wonkitecture
Posted Image

Most obviously, the buildings literally look wonky. They bend, they twist, they appear to collapse or leap, their masses shift and cantilever – put simply their forms appear “out of place, out of key and misshapen” to borrow from Alex SBA.
Second, recent architecture has been awash in bright colour due to increasing whimsy on the architects’ behalf as well as advances in synthetic cladding. This calls to mind the common synesthetic tendency to associate the multi-textured and pitch-bent synths of wonky with bright day-glo colour.

A final parallel could be seen between the overall extravagance and visual sensation of these buildings and the dramatic arpeggios of a producer like Zomby. The rapid climb of notes in Kaliko (painstakingly transcribed by RF here) is akin to the dramatic oblique ascent of windows on Gehry’s Stata Centre, the twisting beams of Calatrava’s Turning Torso or the interior of Libeskind's Denver Art Museum.

hell yeah

lol wow that is some of the most hilarious shit i've read in a while, thanks for aggregating it

#12 John Ehrlichman

John Ehrlichman

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • 177 topics
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

The kaleidoscopic play of constantly rolling textures in expanded tonality reminds me of nineteenth- and twentieth-century études or studies, especially those composed by avant-gardist György Ligeti

this reviewer seems to be confusing Gyorgy Ligeti with the arpeggios from a SID chip /commodore 64

#13 Atop

Atop

mystical healing orb

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts
  • 107 topics
  • Joined 24-January 06
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/atop
  • Interests:artificial intelligence

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

Spoiler

#14 Guest_Wall Bird_*

Guest_Wall Bird_*
  • Guests
  • 218 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

I dove straight into the musical characteristics. I'm loving the analysis so far.

#15 Atop

Atop

mystical healing orb

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts
  • 177 topics
  • Joined 24-January 06

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

Spoiler

#16 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts
  • 177 topics
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

I dove straight into the musical characteristics. I'm loving the analysis so far.

Yeah, none of this is actually overexplanatory/pedantic. Almost everything in that essay poses good observations.

#17 Guest_sirch_*

Guest_sirch_*
  • Guests
  • 293 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

shut up an talk sense.

#18 modey

modey

the struggle vose in

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts
  • Joined 08-June 04
  • Interests:⠃⠋⠛⠀⠼⠊⠚⠚⠚

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:55 AM

put a wonk on it

#19 Atop

Atop

mystical healing orb

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts
  • Joined 24-January 06

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:52 AM

wonk yer life up ya'llz!!!!!!!

#20 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

I wonder if 'facebook art' is wonky?

Are we going to see wonky literature soon?

WOnkY?

#21 Mellow U

Mellow U

L.G.C.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Joined 13-June 06
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/slowlid
  • Interests:Ask me about Corwood Industries
  • PSN:Merskerbuzz
  • XBOX360:Merskerbuzz
  • Nintendo ID:Merskerbuzz

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

How is it, to wonk?

I think I'm gonna wonk down to the bathroom and wiz.

#22 Atop

Atop

mystical healing orb

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,489 posts
  • Joined 24-January 06

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

The Third Policeman is wonky lit....

#23 Salvatorin